iPad Side-by-Side / Right side title selection sorting

Rich

I’m a computer programmer, so much of my life is sitting in front of a Mac.  That said, I’ve quickly gotten to a place where I use an iPad for pretty much everything else I do (well, minus Mainstage / music related stuff).  I’m starting to run up against a few UX issues with Accordance.  The following one seems like it should be fairly simple to remedy (or maybe there is already one and I'm not aware of it).

In side-by-side mode on the iPad, I have a Bible in the left pane and like to change through commentaries on the right side pane (I would love more than two panes, but that’s a different feature request and likely a much more difficult one).  

As I read of being slow to anger in Proverbs today (seriously), I quickly found my first test and nearly stumbled as I tried to locate a particular Reference Tool in the long unsorted list of reference tools.  It took me almost a minute to find the commentary I wanted.  This makes it nearly impossible to switch between my 3-4 favorites without painfully slow visual searches through the long list.  I usually just leave one and forget about it, which is very unfortunate considering all the wonderful commentaries and study guides that I have access to.

One thought -  I would love to have a fourth tab (Text, Reference Tools, Notes and maybe Favorites).  Another very good option would be to group my favorites (or most recently used) at the top of the Reference Tools list.  All that said, I think I would be pretty happy if at a bare minimum the lists were just sorted so I could at least find what I’m looking for.  That would be a great start. 

Maybe there is some ability to sort these already that I'm unaware of, but I don't know of it.

Thanks for any consideration.

Is this what you want? Open up the particular section in your library (reference tools) click 'edit' in top right hand corner, you see 'Three lines' next to a title on the right and just drag them to the order you want, then click 'done' again, in the top right.

Ive been through all the various categories in my library and sorted the tools. One of the first things i do after buying a resource is open my ipad and phone and move it to where i want it. Its also where you can delete tools you dont need to make scrolling through the list easier, or saving storage space.

(Im ex qa so very procedural!)

post-31185-0-07128800-1545466870_thumb.jpeg

post-31185-0-36033600-1545466884_thumb.jpeg

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

Thanks ukfraser.  That actually will work (and I think I even did this once many moons ago).  I didn't think to back out to the library to change the sort but that parallels Mac in some way, so I should have.  I have about 85 items in Reference Tools, so a bit of help would be nice (i.e. alphabetical sort option or the ability to mark favorites).  Unfortunately, the ability to sort alphabetically either automatically or through manual action would either sacrifice manual sort or require adding a more complex UI.  I don't mind doing a little bit of work one time.

Edited by Rich

Ive got about 70 tools in reference as well (amazing how quickly they grow and havent downloaded all of them) so have organised it with my my go tos at the top, then individual commentaries in bible book order, then my study bible notes, then audio files, then bible notes then other stuff.

In parallel panes i tend to switch sync on and off, on when using a set. I struggle with alphabetic as i cant always remember titles correctly and i like my zondervan niv study bible and niv study bible together after esv but before jps study bible.

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

I agree — manual order is better than alphabetical with a lot of items.  I was just desperate and alphabetical was better than random until you pointed me in the direction of manual sorting.  We're basically recreating a "favorites" grouping at the top and then recreating library grouping / order that matches  already in desktop version.  Maybe in the future we'll get something that provides a bit of that work for us.

• Like 1

One simple library addition would be the ability to create sub folders under reference. I tend to group my reference tools together but as the number grows the organisation becomes more complex. Trying to drag from the bottom of the list to part way in the list to put a new tool in my preferred place has become such a pain that I tend to do it anymore.

• Like 2

One simple library addition would be the ability to create sub folders under reference.

Trying to drag from the bottom of the list to part way in the list to put a new tool in my preferred place has become such a pain that I tend to do it anymore.

Sub folders, Long term parity goal???

Most of mine are one off purchases these days so dragging isnt too bad. But when i upgraded to a large collection in a recent sale, i found it easier to dragg all the important new titles all the way up the single screen and then scroll up again in stages so it was easier to then see where they were going in the top part of my library, rather than do single titles all the way up in one go and wait on scrolling etc.

Edited by ukfraser