Vowel Patterns in Hebrew

Kevin Grasso

I am trying to do a couple searches for specific vowel patterns in Hebrew. One search I am trying to do is to find all nouns with a מִ prefix. This is how I would think to do the search:

=םִ???@ [NOUN common] 

Of course, it shows up the other way in my screen, but the problem is that whenever I type in a ? after the מ, it turns into a final, and this seems to prevent any results from showing. If I put an *, I no longer have that problem, but then I don't get the results I want (since I get things like מִין). Any solutions to this?

The other search I am trying to do should be fairly easy, but it isn't working for me for whatever reason. I am just trying to find all strong verbs in Qal, so I am searching for the vowel pattern קָטַל. Here is my search:

=?ָ?ַ?@ [VERB qal] 

I get zero hits with this. When I take out the tag, I get things like מָתַי, so I know it is reading the vowels correctly, but it is excluding everything from the results except for the verbs, the thing that I want. I am having the same problem with the qotel pattern.

Maybe there is something simple that I am not doing correctly? I searched for the segolates in the same way with no problems. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin

To answer the first part of your question, go to Preferences—>Greek and Hebrew and deselect "Automatic final letter."

I believe the problem is that you are doing a lemma search and all the verb lemma tagging is consonantal. What you need is to quote the search string. Unfortunately that will then find inflected words of just that form. So you'll probably have to tweak the search string a little to allow for that. To handle the endings I added an * after the last ?. For the prefix forms you'll need to probably enumerate the prefix forms and then <OR> them together.

Thx

D

• Like 1