Modern lexicons

WhiteWings

Do you have a link to the Brill lexicon for Accordance?

Ooops.Sorry. I should have been clearer - Neither Brill lexicon is in Accordance. Nor, of course, is the Cambridge.

Thx

D

Mmmm, so I have to wait for Brill and Cambridge? That is, if they ever get released for Accordance.

Edited by WhiteWings

Yep, But BDAG, LSJ and LN are fine and mostly what I use right now.

Thx

D

Mmmm, so I have to wait for Brill and Cambridge? That is, if they ever get released for Accordance.

Don't hold your breathe on getting much Brill material in Accordance. They are very difficult to get licenses for and the cost of procurement vs sale point makes it too high of a price margin for Accordance to entertain. You are better off buying a used hard copy

Lexicography is a slowly turning barge. Editing a lexicon is a nearly impossibly large undertaking and doesn't happen often. Even 'new' releases like the Brill Dictionary of Ancient Greek, which can trace it's origins at least as far back as 1995, are older than they may first appear. Granted, that is considerably more up-to-date than LSJ ( except, of course, for the supplement, which we don't have in accordance for some inexplicable reason).

Lexicography is a slowly turning barge. Editing a lexicon is a nearly impossibly large undertaking and doesn't happen often. Even 'new' releases like the Brill Dictionary of Ancient Greek, which can trace it's origins at least as far back as 1995, are older than they may first appear. Granted, that is considerably more up-to-date than LSJ ( except, of course, for the supplement, which we don't have in accordance for some inexplicable reason).

Same with the Dictionary of Classical Hebrew. We are just now getting redone volumes to include new inscriptions etc (supposedly at a rate of every 6 months which is impressive). It takes a long time which means even longer for Accordance since they have t wait on the publishers.

Lexicography is a slowly turning barge. Editing a lexicon is a nearly impossibly large undertaking and doesn't happen often. Even 'new' releases like the Brill Dictionary of Ancient Greek, which can trace it's origins at least as far back as 1995, are older than they may first appear.

Yeah, I can fully understand a work like that can't be rewritten every year

Publishers should/could take more advantage of electronic copies. That includes ebooks.

A good example are Amazon's Kindle books. Sometimes they get updates and the user receives the updated book automatically and for free. Usually small revisions like typos and dead links.

When a lexicon is still work in progress, updated electronic versions could be published once a year. It won't be a complely revised work, but the user can start enjoying the updated lexicon.

For what it's worth, I found two other articles that interact with DCH and its methodology:

Muraoka, Takamitsu.
1995 “A New Dictionary of Classical Hebrew.” Pp. 87-101 in Studies in Ancient Hebrew Semantics. Abr-Nahrain Supplement 4. Ed. T. Muraoka. Louvain: Peeters.

Falla, Terry C.
1998-1999 “The Lexicon for Which We Long? Some Primary Issues Regarding the Future of Classical Syriac Lexicography.” The Harp 11-12: 255-282.

For Greek lexicography, I found this book by Lee to be informative but also highly entertaining.

Lee, John A. L.
2008 A History of New Testament Lexicography. Studies in Biblical Greek 8. New York: Peter Lang.

A.D.

For what it's worth, I found two other articles that interact with DCH and its methodology:

Muraoka, Takamitsu.
1995 “A New Dictionary of Classical Hebrew.” Pp. 87-101 in Studies in Ancient Hebrew Semantics. Abr-Nahrain Supplement 4. Ed. T. Muraoka. Louvain: Peeters.

Falla, Terry C.
1998-1999 “The Lexicon for Which We Long? Some Primary Issues Regarding the Future of Classical Syriac Lexicography.” The Harp 11-12: 255-282.

For Greek lexicography, I found this book by Lee to be informative but also highly entertaining.

Lee, John A. L.
2008 A History of New Testament Lexicography. Studies in Biblical Greek 8. New York: Peter Lang.

A.D.

John Lee is gold. Absolute gold. Can't wait for his new book (lectures) on the Greek of the Pentateuch. 

• 3 months later...

You see I love this thread! It is the right thing of those who are on top of things to mention these kind of things (mastering the development in OL language fields)!:

I must commend You all right now for that You are really focused!

How do You like Your lexicons?

There's a party here? You are having a party, always. I came here to work.  ;)

Thanks Matt! Still going to think carefully what exactly I do (and really wanting to have a girlfriend who would understand some Gk, I'd rather give the spare competitor's platform copy than have it myself). I'm so grateful You were able to say the right judgement on that pretty specific question which few have to make a decision on (though I would really not have afford buying BDAG new atm whether I had skills in the language or not):

I would say both are good for various reasons. A paired down version for quick reference and a larger version for fuller study. If you are doing translation, then quick glosses are needed. If you are doing lexical/semantic work, you need more material to work from. Until more lexicons are published or larger semantic categories are explored, the more sources you pull from the better!

You are much loved Michel and Matt! You and others (some in other fields like civil law and not yet there with a degree) have made me admire PhD:s so much! I believe. Making such tremendous use out of Your language skills, linguistics, degrees! I have to show support, be it that I can't make it far in terms of degrees and my first actual one will still take quite a while to achieve (have got all the things to get there still undone). It is great to reach points where You are an expert and authority!:

I could add hundreds of examples to Anderson's.

I actually find myself in the linguistic stream.