Can’t get hand off to work

David Foster

Hi guys, 

I was recently reading an help article on handoff and thought I would give it a try. I’m currently reading E.M. Bounds on Prayer in Accordance on my Mac and thought ‘Wow, this would be great to be able to just start reading it on my iPad without having to open accordance, do a search for the book and then scroll to find the same location”. 

I followed the instructions (see below) from the help page but nothing happened. 

Am I missing something? Has this feature been discontinued? 

Thanks kindly! 

Here are the instructions: 

• On the Mac, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click General and select Allow Handoff between this Mac and your iCloud devices.
  • On the iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, go to Settings > General > Handoff, then turn on Handoff.
  • On the Mac, open Accordance. Accordance opens to display the contents of a workspace.
  • Perform a search in a Text or a Tool, or navigate to a location. Accordance displays your search or navigation results. 
  • On the iOS device, open the multitasking screen by double-tapping the Home button. The multitasking screen displays all running applications.
  • On the iOS device, tap the Accordance app banner at the bottom of the screen. Accordance Mobile opens, displaying the same search results or location as Accordance on the Mac.
Edited by David Foster

Hi David! So, handoff is well supported going iOS -> iOS, as well as iOS -> Mac. Unfortunately, going Mac -> iOS is completely unsupported by Apple unless it’s a Mac App Store app. This is an easily solvable bug of Apple’s, and it has been reported, but they haven’t done anything about it for years. Unfortunately, using their technology, we are also bound by their bugs.

Hi David! So, handoff is well supported going iOS -> iOS, as well as iOS -> Mac. Unfortunately, going Mac -> iOS is completely unsupported by Apple unless it’s a Mac App Store app. This is an easily solvable bug of Apple’s, and it has been reported, but they haven’t done anything about it for years. Unfortunately, using their technology, we are also bound by their bugs.

Thanks so much Joel. I also heard that there is a problem with bookmarks syncing? 

So I have another question if you don't mind, if I'm reading a book on my Mac and want to go and start reading it on my iPad, what's the quickest way to do that. Are there any syncing options or do I simply have to find the module, open it up and scroll to find the same page number? 

Bookmarks syncing was initially implemented on iOS to only use iCloud, rather than the common Dropbox approach.  Similarly with the Remember My Place feature.  Since they require iCloud, they are also pretty limited.

Work is already being done to synchronize this, but until that version becomes available, there isn't an easy way to continue reading from the same location on your iPad.  Sorry for now!

Okay... thanks!