CNTTS Revised - Question about format

TYA

Great day all,

I'm considering purchasing the CNTTS Revised for Accordance, but am thrown off a bit by the screenshot provided here, because it appears different from the CNTTS I use in another program.

Specifically, I like how the CNTTS in another program gives the entire verse in Greek first, and then breaks down the variants word by word, or phrase by phrase, and lists the manuscripts for each variant (see attached screenshot).

Does Accordance' CNTTS Revised work similarly?  Could someone who has this resource provide a couple screenshots to demonstrate the similarity or difference?  Thanks so much.

post-35231-0-33003200-1543134115_thumb.jpg

post-35231-0-75443700-1543134121_thumb.jpg

Edited by TYA

Unfortunately since I have new installed my Mac the old CNTTS apparatus is missing, and it doesn't come in the Easy Install.

The Accordance CNTTS has more infos, than the old one. But it lacks the Variant Tables which are in the BW version by clicking on the >>

post-32723-0-39494000-1543139707_thumb.png

I'm sure there are many other forum members who has more infos for you.

Greetings

Fabian

post-1391-0-09990100-1543156645_thumb.pngI create a separate workspace for the CNTTS that has the apparatus along side the Biblical Text. The CNTTS can also be included as a parallel pane. the CNTTS does require some horizontal space so you can set it in a pane below the texts. There are many options to this and you can determine which works best for you. CNTTS will have hits on almost, if not every verse in the NT. I use it as a separate workspace and amplify to or tie the workspace to my text.

Here is a separate workspace with the CNTTS as a parallel pane.

Specifically, I like how the CNTTS in another program gives the entire verse in Greek first, and then breaks down the variants word by word, or phrase by phrase, and lists the manuscripts for each variant (see attached screenshot).

Yes, the CNTTS format in Accordance takes some getting used to. I do miss the BW format, which I found particularly well laid out. If Accordance ever considered adapting the same format, I for one would would greatly appreciate it!

Don

Thanks all for the helpful replies.

John Fidel, if you wouldn't mind, could you give me a screenshot for Mat 13:13, so I can compare it to the one I provided up above from another Bible software?  I want to see how Accordance' version shows the manuscripts containing each variant for Mat 13:13.

And yes, even if Accordance' version doesn't include the entire verse in Greek, thank you for showing me that you can easily view the apparatus in parallel with an existing Greek text.

Edited by TYA

Thanks, Fabian.  Perfect.  Just what I was looking for :)

What is the usefulness of this in sermon preparation? And how would you use it overall?

What is the usefulness of this in sermon preparation? And how would you use it overall?

Diatheke, I'm not sure you are addressing this to me personally, but I'm happy to give you my opinion.

This is a critical apparatus of the "NT" text, so I primarily use it for textual criticism work--the science of determining the original reading of a text, and how/when variants entered into that text, etc.).  This is the work scholars do to determine the earliest, or most authoritative reading of the biblical text.

In regards to your question about sermon preparation, if I'm guessing correctly what you mean by that, then you probably wouldn't use this regularly unless you are drawing attention to a passage with significant variants in it.  But if you are interested in why various Bible translations read the way they do, then a tool like this could be helpful.

On that note, a tool like this is valuable for teaching the history of the Bible, since that history revolves around textual criticism at some point in the process.  Since most people know very little about the history of the Bible (and yet they read a variety of versions), having a tool like this could help explain that history, if and when it is the right time for those people to learn about it.

Edited by TYA

Great day all,

I'm considering purchasing the CNTTS Revised for Accordance, but am thrown off a bit by the screenshot provided here, because it appears different from the CNTTS I use in another program.

Does Accordance' CNTTS Revised work similarly?  Could someone who has this resource provide a couple screenshots to demonstrate the similarity or difference?  Thanks so much.

This difference in layout was also pointed out recently in another thread. I'm guessing BW made this formatting decision on their own since the source files from CNTTS do not contain that text.

Thanks, Rick, for pointing this out.  Yes, it would be nice to have the variants highlighted word by word, or phrase by phrase, as the other program has it.  (Maybe a future upgrade?)  But at least the apparatus can be viewed in parallel with a full text, and for my concern here, the manuscripts are listed next to each variant, which is what I wanted to confirm.

I also recommend a screenshot showing that functionality on the product page, for what it's worth.  Thanks for everything.

Just to add my 2 cents, the BW format was/is extremely useful and user friendly.  If Accordance could implement something like this, it would be VERY much appreciated.  Accordance has implemented the Text Browser, so perhaps they would be willing to take a long hard look at this to enhance their CNTTS module.  

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

The discussion about the format of the CNTTS is also a topic on the L forums. There they also wished the BW format of this module. 

• Like 1