Different Search habits in Unicode Bible and Non Unicode Bibles

Fabian

Hello

In non unicode Texts I can write two words and Accordance searches for the two word in the verse.

E.g. Himmel Erde

post-32723-0-32592800-1541715273_thumb.png

In unicode Bibles if I write two words it find it only the the words if they are together.  Otherwise I have to add the <AND> command. 

With no words together

post-32723-0-22190200-1541715490_thumb.png

post-32723-0-62829000-1541715512_thumb.png

A text with the words together.

post-32723-0-96216300-1541715766_thumb.png

I can handle it. I simply found the search difference.

Greetings

Fabian

Edited by Fabian
  • Like 1

A text with the words together.

Just curious: "Himmel" and "Erde" are separated by a comma in your screenshot.  Does that count as "together" in Accordance, or is the comma actually separating them?

I appreciate you pointing out the "different search habits."  I think the underlying message in your statement--"I can handle it"--is that you would prefer to have one consistent, uniform way of doing things.  If that is so, I would like to echo my preference for one consistent, uniform way of searching (where possible).

And if I've totally stuffed words in your mouth that you never intended, then... I'd *still* like to voice my preference for one consistent, uniform way of searching :)

Edited by TYA

Just curious: "Himmel" and "Erde" are separated by a comma in your screenshot.  Does that count as "together" in Accordance, or is the comma actually separating them?

I appreciate you pointing out the "different search habits."  I think the underlying message in your statement--"I can handle it"--is that you would prefer to have one consistent, uniform way of doing things.  If that is so, I would like to echo my preference for one consistent, uniform way of searching (where possible).

And if I've totally stuffed words in your mouth that you never intended, then... I'd *still* like to voice my preference for one consistent, uniform way of searching :)

In this case Accordance didn't recognize the comma.

Yes consistent is easier to handle for all. 

You nailed it exactly :)

If I'm correct the search habit without you have to add <AND> came with Accordance 10. But I mostly use MacOS Roman fonts. Since I have added some Qurans which are in unicode, because they have some transliterations in which has no equivalencies to MacOS Roman characters I realized there are different search habits.

Greetings

Fabian

• 1 month later...

Hello

In non unicode Texts I can write two words and Accordance searches for the two word in the verse.

Greetings

Fabian

I have the same problem with some Portuguese texts I've imported.

Searching also does not recognize hyphenated words. Instead of searching for "disse-lhe" (as I can in Accordance's official Portuguese module) I instead have to search for "disse <AND> lhe"

Thank you

• Like 1

I have the same problem with some Portuguese texts I've imported.

Searching also does not recognize hyphenated words. Instead of searching for "disse-lhe" (as I can in Accordance's official Portuguese module) I instead have to search for "disse <AND> lhe"

Thank you

Thanks for your support. 

There seems to be 2 things. 1 bug with the hyphenation, and one with the search habits. 

For you, try this:

Open your Portuguese Text in BBEdit or CotEditor or similar software. There you can change from utf-8 to Mac OS Roman. Save it and import it again. If you open it in BBEdit and some of your characters are not supported in Mac OS Roman you'll get an error message. 

Greetings

Fabian

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hello 

I want to reactivate this tread. Not only because this is still an issue, but also the Analysis habit is different.

In macOS Roman the hits in Analysis WITH a dash are combined. 

1865282914_Bildschirmfoto2021-12-06um09_46_08.png.287369b3a75c1194b6da17a4d32f71d4.png

Thats in my opinion good. 

What is not good is the double click on these words don't run the search in the Bible. This has to be improved.

On the other hand: Bibles in unicode separates the word before the dash and the word after the dash. 

In Analysis, in Quick search, etc.

Also the words with an apostroph. Like 1493506859_Bildschirmfoto2021-12-06um09_53_24.thumb.png.3b6bb30b4e9b4d97cd3181866acac01e.png

are divided.

I would love to have the same habit on unicode texts as on non unicode texts. 

And not only here, but also to compare texts. Currently it is not possible to compare unicode text to non unicode texts. BBEdit can!!!

As Accordance is more and more internationally I would love to have more intercompabilities. (In German we can simply put words together).

Also a full unicode User Tool would be great. 

A strong wish from me for Accordance 14.

Fabian

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

As you claim Accordance 14 is something all Accordance users will profit. 

This whole thread with all I wrote, Search, Analysis, is a must.