Grammatical Tag searches

Ron Bailey

I am discovering the power of grammatical tag searching and thoroughly enjoying the experience. I searched on the following... in GNT-BYZ

[ARTICLE] <FOLLOWED BY> <WITHIN 1 Words>pisteuw@ [VERB present participle]

pisteuw being in a greek font. I was interested in the concept of 'the believers' as a description of authentic Christians. I was curious to see who used this construction. I was surprised to discover that the search did not create the instances of this construction in the expected order. eg it gathered all the Pauline references into a section at the end. I had expected to find the construction in Romans but initially thought there were no examples in Romans until I scrolled right to the end of the selection.

I don't recall that Accordance gathers other examples in this way in English version searches. Is there a reason for this?

And secondly, the 1 John references do not show up in the 'details' graph. Again, I was surprised by this. Am I missing something here?

The GNT-BYZ text is arranged in a different order from the GNT-T, since we match the order of the Robinson-Pierpont text. Please see the GNT-BYZ - Read me first document, or the new Read Me-Modules tool in the English tools of the Primary 8 DVD. This is why your results are not in the usual order, they always follow the verse order of the search text. The 1 John references do show up. just not the book name since there is no room on the chart for the names of all the books.

OK, again many thanks. It was the different order of the GNT-BYZ that threw me. I have used Accordance for some time but only recently purchased a fully tagged Greek text; I was using the GNT-TRS previously. I feel as if I had only scratched the surface and the programme becomes more useful daily!!

Archived