Installation Freezes At Search

brianjensen

Hello,

Recently I found the Accordance software package, and downloaded the demp. Everything seems to proceed normally during installation until there are 2 items left, at which point the installer indicates that it is "Searching Macintosh HD," and at this point the installer seems to lockup... actually, to be more precise the installer processor load jumps to 99.x%, and will not progress further - however, the installer is not frozen as I can click "Stop" and the program immediately responds. I've left it run for +1/2 hour, but it continues to stick at this point. I have tried installing this a few times now, to no avail.

Can anyone fill me in as to what the problem might be? What is the installer searching for? I'm currently running 10.5.4, this is the 10.4 and up Universal Demo, everything I can tell leads me to believe that this should work no problem... and yet, here I sit, wondering if Accordance if the answer to my Mac/Bible woes?!

If anyone could help out on this, I'd appreciate it! Thanks in advance...

Brian

I can assure you that Accordance is the answer for Mac Bible software.

The demo installer installs our fonts (limited version for the demo) last. I wonder if you are using special font management software that prevents the installer from adding the fonts to the Library/Fonts. Is the demo actually installed? Does it stay there (in Applications) even when you quit the installer? If so you can use it even without the fonts.

Nope, no special font software installed. And no, the application folder does not remain once I quit the installer.

We have checked the installer and we believe that you have a problem with your disk directory. We encounter this on occasions but the hang occurs at the start of installation, when the installer looks for newer versions of Accordance. On this particular installer this search happens at the end (to avoid replacing newer fonts).

Please run your disk utility to Verify Disk and Repair Permissions. If this does not help, you may need to use more advanced disk diagnostic and repair tools.

People generally do not believe us that the problem is on their disk, but VISE is just revealing a problem which could cause further issues down the road. Many have come back to thank us.

Thanks for the heads-up... I'll check the disk and report back once it has finished!

Ok, ran disk utility and sure enough, it reported an input/output error for a handful of files associated with the Help Viewer (/system/library/core services/help viewer/...), and so I clicked on repair. Ok, side note -- I just bought this Mac in July and haven't really figured it out yet (in fact, I'm not really certain what Permissions do... I'm going to Google that next). Suffice it to say, after repeated attempts the repair effort seems to finish, but when checked again the errors persist.

Like I said, I'm about to Google this issue, but since you mentioned the problem... I was wondering if you might also mention a solution! I realize this isn't a new Mac help forum, but I thought I might ask nonetheless!

If I get this figured out and fixed, I'll be sure to drop by again and let you know how the demo of Accordance goes. Until then, thanks for the help in troubleshooting the installer problem.

Brian

I suspect that you will need to use TechTools or DiskWarrior to fix the directory, or take the Mac to an Apple Store.

Archived