Text Window Properties

williamk

I need a primer on setting text properties (font, size, search display properties, etc.). I've read the Accordance Help files on this subject and am still confused about the difference between setting text display properties via Preferences vs. setting them via the "Set Text Pane Display" window. Nothing that I set in either place seems to have any effect on the text properties in my search or display windows.

Also, how does one determine the text display properties in a window? The two avenues mentioned above always display the same values even when two displays clearly have different fonts displayed. I have one window that I like that I somehow set years ago but I have no idea what typeface it is, size, etc. Is there a way to find this?

Try as I might, I have yet to be able to change the color and style in which search words are displayed in-text.

Any help GREATLY appreciated.

William K.

The text display properties in the preferences is a universal setting for all the text windows. Set it first, because it will override the settings for individual bibles and texts, which is what the "Set Text Pane Display" window does. The changes should be visible immediately (I am using Accordance 8), but sometimes I've noticed that you do have to "reload" the text for your changes to show up, so try switching a text pane to something else and then back again.

Regarding your other questions, I am able to see the current font, etc. when I open the "Set Text Pane Display" window. You didn't mention which version of Accordance you're using, but it works for me in Accordance 8. I am also able to change the search highlighting color, using the "Text Display" and "Tool Display" panes in the Preferences window. Maybe someone else can troubleshoot those issues for you.

Blessings

Levi is almost correct. Setting via Preferences does not change the display of any open panes, only of new panes. Change the text version to see the new setting. Preferences does override all individual text settings.

Set Text Display will show the current setting of the selected pane, and will update it. You must first click in the pane to select it if you have more than one pane. If you click Use as Default these settings become the default for all new panes with this text.

Part of your problem arises with saved windows or workspaces, saved sessions, or saved startup sessions. None of these are new windows or panes. To reset these you must either click in each pane to see and change its settings, or flip the pane to a different text and then back to get your current default settings for that text. The trick is then to save the new window or session. Changing the text settings does not flag the window as having been changed and needing to be saved. Add a space to the search argument, then delete it and click OK. Now Accordance knows that a change has been made and will let you save the new window or session.

Not changing the display of saved or open windows is a deliberate feature of Accordance. You may have saved windows with specific display styles for specific purposes, even for the same text. You would not want those saved windows to be overridden each time you change the defaults. Therefore you must specifically change and save each one.

I hope this clarifies an issue which does confuse many users.

Thanks, Levi and Helen -- I have made some progress in understanding the text pane properties.

Given the brilliance of the folks who have built Accordance, I would say that Helen's final comment reveals an item for the To-Do list -- making this area of Accordance easier to understand: :lol:

I hope this clarifies an issue which does confuse many users.

Archived