Searches involving end of Mark

Rod Decker

I haven't been able to figure out any way to generate accurate stats/hits on Mark without includig one of the "endings" of the book. I can limit the search to "Mark 1:1-16:8" (which omits the traditional ending, vv 9-20), but that includes the "short ending" as part of 16:8, which means I always have to adjust to compensate for any data in the short ending. (And a search for "Mark" always includes *both* short and long endings.) This is the case in both GNT and GNT-T texts. That may not be a problem for general purposes, but trying to provide accurate stats for technical work requires manual intervention every time--and I don't know anyone who accepts the short ending as original. I'd much rather see the short ending appended to v 20 instead of v 8; at least that would enable accurate stats for 1:1-16:8. Or perhaps it should become v "21" at the end, or omitted, or something else. But the present handling of the short ending is not satisfactory, esp. for Mark scholars for whom this difference is significant.

Or am I once again missing something simple or obvious?!

Archived