Navigating Commentaries on the Android App

robrecht

Hi, all.

Looking on instructions, direction, or advice on how to better and more quickly navigate through large commentary texts on the Android app.

First of all, I'm rather amazed and grateful that I am now able to have the Anchor and Hermeneia commentaries on my phone. Incredible amount of information at my fingertips when I'm not at home or at the library!

But I'm wondering how to quickly access specific pieces of information on such a small interface. So, for example, today I wanted to quickly find an excursus or other in-depth discussion by Adela Yarbro Collins on Mark's sources and use of the 'Son of Man' in the gospel of Mark in her wonderful Hermeneia commentary. What would be the best way to find where she treats this issue in depth?

I first tried to go to her commentary on Mark and then tried to do a search on 'Son of Man', but the search results started at the commentary on Matthew and I had to click through every use of 'Son of Man' in the Ulrich Luz' three-volume Matthew commentary before I got back to Adela's commentary on Mark. Very tedious. Is there a better way? In the PC program, I can start searches within a specific book without going through the whole series of prior commentaries. Is that functionality also available on the Android app or will it be eventually or is it just not realistic on a smartphone interface? 

Other suggestions might be to introduce the capability to go to a detailed table of contents or indices with links. 

If there are already directions on how to better navigate commentaries on the Android app, I apologize for such a tedious post, but would appreciate direction on how to find such instructional material.

Thanks, robrecht

Do your search -> Open TOC -> and choose the section/place where you want to start.

Same in Texts/Bibles, Notes etc.

Then go through the hit buttons.

Greetings

Fabian

Edited by Fabian
  • Like 1

Do your search -> Open TOC -> and choose the section/place where you want to start.

Same in Texts/Bibles, Notes etc.

Then go through the hit buttons.

Greetings

Fabian

Thank you, Fabian. I can do this in the Windows app, but it does not seem to be working in the Android app. When I try to open the TOC after a search, the app seems to freeze up. Sometimes the app eventually closes spontaneously after a while, other times I get a message, 'Android is not responding, Close, Wait, Send Report ...' When the app closes spontaneously, if I open it up again, it opens to the requested section. Maybe I need to uninstall the app and reinstall it again. I had to do that once before when it stopped working correctly.

On iOS it works as well. The one I use.

Maybe a reinstall solved the problem. Otherwise a bug report is needed.

Greetings

Fabian

On iOS it works as well. The one I use.

Maybe a reinstall solved the problem. Otherwise a bug report is needed.

Greetings

Fabian

No such luck, unfortunately. The search/TOC process is working in the Anchor OT/NT commentaries but not in the Hermeneia OT/NT commentaries. I've sent a few crash reports with logs from within the Accordance app, but not sure if these reports went to Accordance personnel. It said something about the report being sent to Google. Thanks for your help.

• Like 1

For others experiencing this issue, the problem is now more fully explained here:

Essentially some modules are so large, that the current software code is just very, very slow. If you set your phone aside for a while it will eventually make it's way to the section of the TOC indicated. This is on a list of to-do items to be addressed at some point.

• Like 2