New Accordance Features for BIBLEWORKS Users

R. Mansfield

Accordance 12.2.7 (Win/Mac) delivers new features w/BibleWorks users in mind, but we believe all Accordance users will appreciate them! Accordance will now import BibleWorks notes & the Live Click feature will completely change the way you study the Bible! 

See today’s blog post for more information and a quick feature video. 

Accordance%2012.2.7%20BW-rev2.png?dl=1

• Like 8

And special thanks to Michel Gilbert for all his help to me this week. Those are his notes on Psalm 1 that you see me import at about the 17 second mark in the video. I really appreciate your BibleWorks expertise, Michel, and your enthusiasm for Accordance!

• Like 4

Rick, you are most welcome. It was great working with you. And, the more I know about your work, the more I'm impressed with it. Also, it is simply amazing how quickly Acc developed the Import Notes and Live Click features for BW users. Accordance really has amazing talents on staff, you and the rest of the team. Finally, I know established Acc users will love the Live Click feature. Everybody wins!

Regards,

Michel

• Like 6

Love live click so so much. Can't wait to see the option of collapsing that sidebar!

• Like 1

Based on the video, I'm also glad to see that Accordance on my humble machine isn't much slower than Rick's MacBook Pro, at least for these BW-like features.

Yes indeed a very cool feature. Even last week a friend of mine have wished such a feature in Accordance and now it's here.

I see the second Research starts if the first one is finished. Would it be run in parallel to be faster if Accordance is multi-threaded?

Greetings

Fabian 

Perhaps create a whole new subforum under General https://www.accordancebible.com/forums/forum/13-general-accordance-topics/ for announcement of and discussion of the Live Click feature?

I don't have internet (and when I have I'm gladly being aware and restricting what kind of internet use I go for), so it's taking me a while to get to this. But on hehalf of others: What it is and how to use it is described under Help Files https://www.accordancebible.com/Help-For-Accordance/ section new features under 12.2.7: http://accordancefiles2.com/helpfiles/Win12/Default.htm#topics/04_gswa/live_click.htm I know in what way it would work so I'll love it!!

• Like 2

Is there anyway to provide a priority list for the order in which resources are listed in the research tabs. Because it returns so many resources (it would be good to be able to place the preferred resources at the top of the list. For example, when a lexicon resource is identified, I would prefer to see HALOT first. 

Please forgive me, but I can't make heads or tails out of the video showing what is attempting dhow from BW features. I would like to see what the features are, but have no idea as to what is going on.

Please forgive me, but I can't make heads or tails out of the video showing what is attempting dhow from BW features. I would like to see what the features are, but have no idea as to what is going on.

The first thing shown is the availability of already imported BW notes. What isn't shown is the process of importing them. Here is the information you will need:

Importing RTF Notes (Including BibleWorks)

Notes created in an RTF format (including BibleWorks) can be imported into Accordance. The import procedure creates a fully-functional native Accordance notes file.

Accordance can import the contents of a notes folder given the following conditions:

• Notes files must have either an .rtf or .bww extension.
  • There can be only one verse note per file.
  • Files can be named using the reference, using either an underscore (_) or a period as the verse divider. For example: “1Kings 5_2” or “Ps 1.1”
  • Files can be placed in a folder with a valid book name. For example, “Genesis” or “Gen”. If so, the file name should only include the reference. For example, if the folder was named "Genesis", the file name would be “2.3” (without the quotes).

Note

Importing RTF notes (including BibleWorks notes) is completely non-destructive. No files are written or over-written in the notes folder.

1. On the Accordance File menu, choose User Files>Import Notes Folder. The Enter Imported User Notes File Name dialog box appears.
  2. Enter a name for your User Note file, and click OK. The Notes File Import dialog box appears.
  3. Navigate to the BibleWorks notes folder:
  4. The BibleWorks notes folder is located in the following directory:
  5. Windows: c:\Program Files\BibleWorks 10\notes.
  6. Select the BibleWorks notes folder, and click OK. The imported notes file is opened in a new User Notes tab.
  7. The new User Notes file is saved in the following folder on your computer:
  8. Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\My Documents\Accordance Files
  9. Vista, Windows 7, and above: C:\Users\[user name]\My Documents\Accordance
  10. The User Notes file is displayed in the Library under the My Notes category.

The second thing shown is the automatic identification of resources under the research tab i.e. when you click on a word in a verse, resources for that verse or word are identified and displayed on the research tab on the right.

Note: Unlike Bibleworks, you have to click on a word before the resources display. Because I have used Bibleworks for years, I spent a minute hovering the cursor over different areas of the text expecting the resources to automatically like they do in bibleworks, it took me a minute to realize that, unlike bibleworks, I needed to click the text to get the update in the resource tab. If you are a previous Bibleworks user, it is important to note this difference.

Is there anyway to provide a priority list for the order in which resources are listed in the research tabs. Because it returns so many resources (it would be good to be able to place the preferred resources at the top of the list. For example, when a lexicon resource is identified, I would prefer to see HALOT first. 

You can change the Research sort order on the gear menu in the top corner of the Research tab.  It defaults to Importance, attempting to place the best articles at the top.  If you change it to Library Order, or Library (Entry), it will instead reflect the order within your Library, allowing you to customize at will.

• Like 1

Hi Harold,

BW and Acc are quite different, and it is difficult to point to even one exact correspondence in the default settings of both program programs. What Acc focused on was importing notes so BW could use them immediately, and on instant search results. In BW, with its three or four panes (= Acc's zones) open, you mouse(h)over a word, and you get instant lexical information (in all of your lexicons, including homonyms if you wish), and instant resource information, e.g., which grammars discuss the word you hover over. Live Click was developed to be an equivalent of seeing instant lexical and resource information with one click, imitating the speed of BW mouse(h)over, versus Acc's triple click. 

The video also attempts to show that you can have as many texts/translations in a pane/zone as you want, just like in BW. Also, that in the end, Accordance is even more customizable. The challenge for former BW users will be to build their own workspaces. Tim, Dr, J., will be showing us how to do this in upcoming podcasts. I myself only used Acc for syntax searches, and before last week, I only knew how to open a text, triple click to linked lexicons, and open the construct search. In fact, all of my bug reports had to do with this simple workspace - text, lexicons, construct search. So, I too look forward to Tim's videos on how to build much more complicated workspaces.

Regards,

Michel

Edited by Michel Gilbert
  • Like 1

I turned this on found that I needed to use a single click to get the resource to update (unlike Bibleworks mouse over). You description sounds like the mouse over should be working; Am I misunderstanding your response?

Hi Harold,

BW and Acc are quite different, and it is difficult to point to even one exact correspondence in the default settings of both program programs. What Acc focused on was importing notes so BW could use them immediately, and on instant search results. In BW, with its three or four panes (= Acc's zones) open, you mouse(h)over a word, and you get instant lexical information (in all of your lexicons, including homonyms if you wish), and instant resource information, e.g., which grammars discuss the word you hover over. Live Click was developed to be an equivalent of seeing instant lexical and resource information with one click, imitating the speed of BW mouse(h)over, versus Acc's triple click. 

The video also attempts to show that you can have as many texts/translations in a pane/zone as you want, just like in BW. Also, that in the end, Accordance is even more customizable. The challenge for former BW users will be to build their own workspaces. Tim, Dr, J., will be showing us how to do this in upcoming podcasts. I myself only used Acc for syntax searches, and before last week, I only knew how to open a text, triple click to linked lexicons, and open the construct search. In fact, all of my bug reports had to do with this simple workspace - text, lexicons, construct search. So, I too look forward to Tim's videos on how to build much more complicated workspaces.

Regards,

Michel

Hi Mike,

The equivalent of mouse(h)over in BW is Live Click in Acc, i.e., one click. It is a new feature in Accordance.

Mouse(h)over only works in Acc for Instant Details, if you have it open. And, you can freeze ID in Acc like you could freeze the Analysis Window in BW, by pressing shift and moving your mouse.

Regards,

Michel

Based on the video, I'm also glad to see that Accordance on my humble machine isn't much slower than Rick's MacBook Pro, at least for these BW-like features.

Yes, but keep in mind that I was running the Windows version of Accordance in Parallels on my MacBook Pro--so there were a few layers of slowdown there :-)

• Like 1

The equivalent of mouse(h)over in BW is Live Click in Acc, i.e., one click. It is a new feature in Accordance.

Exactly. Joel may correct me if I misrepresent this, but I don’t believe the goal was to create the exact “mouse(h)over” function that BW users were used to, but rather create a function that would deliver the same kind of results and work as a very capable equivalent for BW users. 

Just my opinion here, but I believe that having everything changing on the screen at once, as it does in BW, would not have been as well received by current Accordance users (speaking as one myself). With the resulting Live Click functions, there’s lots of excitement among current Accordance users, making it a helpful feature for everyone, previous users and new users alike. 

So the recent BW-centric features (and the ones still to come) are not designed to make Accordance into BW, but to help BW users jump into a somewhat familiar workflow and offer helpful tools to previous Accordance users, too. 

• Like 3

Just my opinion here, but I believe that having everything changing on the screen at once, as it does in BW, would not have been as well received by current Accordance users (speaking as one myself). With the resulting Live Click functions, there’s lots of excitement among current Accordance users, making it a helpful feature for everyone, previous users and new users alike. 

So the recent BW-centric features (and the ones still to come) are not designed to make Accordance into BW, but to help BW users jump into a somewhat familiar workflow and offer helpful tools to previous Accordance users, too. 

Indeed, if everything on the screen were changing at once, I fear I would appear as a cat chasing a laser dot, but I would be attempting to chase many dots rather than a single one. No, I don't think it would be pretty, but observers would be amused. ;-)

Joseph

Yes, but keep in mind that I was running the Windows version of Accordance in Parallels on my MacBook Pro--so there were a few layers of slowdown there :-)

I find windows runs a lot faster on my ancient mbp in virtualbox than it does on my dedicated desktop or work laptop.

;o)

• Like 1

Indeed, if everything on the screen were changing at once, I fear I would appear as a cat chasing a laser dot, but I would be attempting to chase many dots rather than a single one. No, I don't think it would be pretty, but observers would be amused. ;-)

Hi Solly,

Not all of us liked or used this feature. The first thing I learned in BW was to turn off all the flashing, including Word Tips and Mouse Hints for a clean, stable text, and then to freeze the Analysis Window, so that it would only update when Shift was depressed (much like freezing ID in Acc with Shift). I also rarely have ID open in Acc, even that amount of flashing is too much for me.

But, to each their own.

And, I really like Rick's comments about Accordance equivalents of BW features.

Regards,

Michel

Michel, I always appreciated software that gave the user the ability to control which features were active. I think I would have lived comfortably with BW had I worked with it. 

Joseph

I think you would have, and that's sort of what I'm getting at. There were lots of options that Acc users would have been very comfortable with. And, in the same way, new BW users will find a lot of options to help make them comfortable in Accordance.

And, FWIW, I've been Live Clicking of sorts in BW for years now.  For my Mac version of BW I configured my right mouse button as Shift-click (using SteerMouse), so I avoided the flashing and still got the instant lexical and resource information. I've done basically the same thing in Accordance now, I configured my right mouse button as triple click, which brings up my linked lexicons, and Word Usage in Live Click, all with one right click.

I configured my right mouse button as triple click, which brings up my linked lexicons, and Word Usage in Live Click, all with one right click.

But do you lose the contextual menu by doing this? There are a lot of features and power in the contextual menu.

Hi Rick,

What is the contextual menu, the right/secondary click menu? If so, I use Alt-primary click on my Windows keyboard (= Option-click on the Mac keyboard)? It brings up a large menu, Search For, Search In, etc.

What is the contextual menu, the right/secondary click menu? If so, I use Alt-primary click on my Windows keyboard (= Option-click on the Mac keyboard)? It brings up a large menu, Search For, Search In, etc.

That’s the one. As long as you’ve got it working for you, you’re all set!

• Like 1

Exactly. Joel may correct me if I misrepresent this, but I don’t believe the goal was to create the exact “mouse(h)over” function that BW users were used to, but rather create a function that would deliver the same kind of results and work as a very capable equivalent for BW users. 

For those interested, see why the new Live Click feature in Accordance is a game changer for me, a former (predominantly) BW user, at

https://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/23993-what-is-live-clicking/?do=findComment&comment=117673

Regards,

Michel

• Like 1