Key number highlighting misses word

Sean R.

I've quickly become a great fan of the key number highlighting feature. Today I noted a word not highlighting when, as far as I can tell, it should.

I have three texts open: KJVS, BHS-W4, and NAS95S. I'm studying the first portion of the book of Nehemiah. When I come to verse 3 of chapter 1, the KJVS contains the word "affliction." When I pass my cursor over that word, the corresponding word (ra'a) in the BHS-W4 is not highlighted. However, when I move my cursor over "ra'a" in the Hebrew text, "afflicted" in the KJVS is highlighted, along with "distress" in the NAS95S. Moving my cursor over "distress" in the NAS95S does highlight "ra" in the Hebrew text.

This is, of course, not a serious problem. I'm curious, however, as to why this is occurring.

As you noted, the Hebrew lemmas which appear when you drag over "affliction" in KJVS and "distress" in NAS95S are slightly different (‏‏רע versus ‏‏רעה). Accordance actually uses an algorithm which attempts to account for such differences in lexical form. For some reason, the algorithm is such that it is successfully matching רעה in BHS-W4 with ‏רע in KJVS, but it fails to match them going the other way. We could perhaps tweak the algorithm somewhat, but it will never perfectly account for such variations.

Thanks for the explanation, David. The key number highlighting is one of my favorite features and, even if occasionally it misses a word, it is a tremendous enhancement.

Archived