Is Accordance future proof?

Rh0d1um

Actually we'll have a sale on NIC later this month, so you can buy now and get a credit, or wait just a little longer.

NICOT/NICNT was 59% off (i.e. $599) in September 2017 and in October 2016.

It was available for $599.95 in February 2016.

You could have had it for $779 or 42% off in July 2014 and again in December 2014.

If that does not predict a future sale, maybe you should try Urim and Thummim.

Didn't know it was the three times ago too, gosh I hope it continues...I think I could convince my wife if they were $600... :)

• Like 1

In the UK you can check on the health of any company with (I believe it is) Companies House and see the annual financial summaries. If there is an equivalent in the USA then I guess you can look up Oak Tree and determine for yourself if you think the company is healthy, growing, or going down the toilet. Personally, I've never worried about the future of the company or the Accordance program. I tend to think, what are my needs right now, rather than what they might be 20 years from now.

However, there has been talk in the forum in relation to what for some people amounts to a heavy investment in Accordance, to the degree that some might consider leaving their Accordance library to a loved one in their will. I have spent several thousand dollars on Accordance, over more than 20 years, and I have no wish for my loved ones to wipe my hard drive when I'm promoted to glory to receive my reward for good and faithful service.

Recently (within the last 2-3 years?) Oak Tree stated a policy for the transfer of rights of ownership for modules in aid to recognise the fact that from time to time users wish to sell and buy modules (usage rights) between each other. Perhaps they should also start a policy to establish what to do when a user designates Accordance in his or her will to go to an individual or a church or a college.

• Like 2

I spent ages looking at a film scanner. It was a choice between Nikon and Minolta. I decided on Minolta and spent $3000. Minolta is no more and while Sony has maintained their cameras film scanners are not supported. I am maintaining an nt box so I can continue to convert my 6*6 films as later os is not supported.

I bought contax 35mm camera and Zeiss lenses. Alas no longer in existence as kyocera failed to develop their digital cameras and pulled the plug on these excellent products.

Sibelius was acquired by avid who are leaders in recording but the Finn brothers were unable to buy it back when it failed to be developed.

When I first used IT, there were dat tapes, Iomega Zip drives, 5 1/2” floppy drives and 3 1/4” discs. How many of the old back up systems that organisations used still have equipment that will enable them to use let alone restore from the old systems?

I have invested far more in modules for Accordance than I ever thought I would when I first converted to them. However, I have got some wonderful resources which I would not have been aware of without this product or forum or as a result of their excellent sales (wbs and nivac being high on my list).

However, Being able to use Accordance has been a blessing and I will do all I can to nurse my equipment so I can continue to use this excellent (if not perfect) product.

The only definite’s in life are God’s love, death and taxes!

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 8

... and some German commentaries [...] that aren't available on Accordance (HTA, Historisch Theologische Auslegung for example).

+1000 for German commentaries

+100 for the HTA, but it is not enough complete yet. I definitely would like it. For example on Rom 6,14 has the Anchor only a half page with information everyone knows. The HTA has 9 pages with interesting material. As I saw this I deleted Anchor from my wishlist.

Greetings

Fabian

The Mac OS changed from 32-bit to 64-bit in 2003. Apple just announced that macOS is dropping support 32-bit software going forward. Most big software companies had already updated their software to 64-bit. Accordance only recently updated to 64-bit with the 12.1 release. That does show that this is a relevant question. Software development is a moving target.

Edited by hoffman

Accordance version 12 is 64-bit. Make sure you've updated to the latest version (12.2.4).

Mark just beat me to it...

Apple's way of checking an app...

From the Apple menu, choose About This Mac, then click the System Report button. From the system report, scroll down to Software, then select Applications. When you select an individual application, you will see a field titled ”64-bit (Intel)”. “Yes" indicates 64-bit; “No" indicates 32-bit.

Accordance:

Version: 12.2.4

Obtained from: Identified Developer

Last Modified: 23/02/2018, 01:29

Kind: Intel

64-Bit (Intel): Yes

Signed by: Developer ID Application: OakTree Software, Inc. (RVS387QN32), Developer ID Certification Authority, Apple Root CA

:-) Sorted.

Edited by Paul Meiklejohn
  • Like 1

Keep in mind that, for 99% of apps, being 64-bit has absolutely no advantages.  If you are some massive app like Photoshop or Final Cut Pro, you will see some gains, but chances are good that most users never use apps that actually need the additional address space.  Thus, rather than jumping to 64-bit immediately, we waited for a time that was both more opportune and in-line with other development efforts.  This is certainly not a sign of inflexibility, but rather wisdom and focused efforts.  We'd much rather keep the app in a polished, evolving, ever improving state, than jump at every technology change and divert our efforts.

I think the fact that Accordance has been continuously developed for over 25 years, able to run extremely well across many platforms (MacOS 7->9, OS X 10.0->10.13, iOS 3->11, Windows XP->10, now Android) over that time, is a far more telling assessment than our 64-bit adoption time.

• Like 6

My point was that the writing was on the wall as far back as 2010 regarding the move to 64-bit, and yet it took years to get up to speed. The developers of Accordance have done a *stellar* job over the many years the program has existed, better than most in fact, but no one knows what new surprises the future holds. What comes after iOS? Thinking first about investing thousands of dollars in software is warranted. Or maybe it's just my budget ;-)

Edited by hoffman
  • Like 2

Hello,

I'm a Swiss Theology student at a seminary and I've owned Accordance for 4 years now. I use it mainly for language study, but recently I find myself thinking about investing more money into some commentary bundles (e.g. NICOT / NICNT bundles when they're on sale the next time).

?

Nicot and nicnt on sale now.

Check out current specials and grab a bargain today that works with all of today’s technology and you can enjoy and use tomorrow and the next (few) decades.

https://www.accordancebible.com/store/sale

• Like 1

Nicot and nicnt on sale now.

Check out current specials and grab a bargain today that works with all of today’s technology and you can enjoy and use tomorrow and the next (few) decades.

https://www.accordancebible.com/store/sale

Thanks, I already bought it 20 minutes ago! 

• Like 2

Thanks, I already bought it 20 minutes ago!

Very wise decision. Enjoy. And once again, welcome to the forum and thanks for your stimulating discussion starter!

;o)

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1