How to search within a lexicon

Weatherby23

I have discovered that I can search for English glosses or transliterations, but that is very limited. I really just want to search the Hebrew/Aramaic entry in HALOT but I am unable to do so presumably because I am typing in English. On my desktop version typing an "a" will automatically be entered as א. Am I doing something wrong or is this a feature that has yet to be implemented on the android version? Or, must I figure out how to type with a Hebrew keyboard on my phone?

On the Entry box where you are typing there is a "token," a button which indicates which field you are searching. Click and hold to select a different field which will automatically give you the correct keyboard.

Thank you for the response.

So, I am getting some things to come up on the search in English (like "bra" = "ברא"), both in HMT-W4 and HALOT. But, when I type it in the search bar (by clicking on the magnifying glass at the top left), the characters are still displayed as English letters. I'm not sure by what you mean as the "token." Do you mean the two drop-down menus below the search bar on the screen that comes up after clicking the magnifying glass? None of the options in either of those drop-down boxes brings up Hebrew characters when I begin to type my search. There is also the "commands" button, but this does not bring up any useful change. The only other option I see is the options checkbox, which only brings up the option for a "flex search."

Unless I am missing something in your directions, my guess is that maybe I need to download a Hebrew keyboard to my phone, or maybe something went wrong when I downloaded accordance from google play this morning. I had earlier downloaded some of the betas; could that have messed it up somehow? 

I think the token Helen is referring to is the three dots one above the other next to the search box. This will only appear if there is enough horizontal space in the display. So on my phone I only see it in landscape orientation. The three little dots I mentioned are indeed the same as the right hand pull down menu you see in the pop up dialog.

As to searching I have never seen the Android app auto switch keyboards. I can enter Hebrew if I switch to a Hebrew keyboard, but I have to do that manually.

Thx

D

• Like 1

I see what you're talking about Mithril. Yes that is just another way of looking at the same thing I was referring to. I did figure out how to download Greek and Hebrew unicode to my android, so I can type in the biblical languages that way at least. I also uninstalled and re-downloaded the app, but it will still not change English text to Hebrew or Greek as the desktop version does. Hopefully this can be implemented eventually because it is more convenient.

I am sorry that I missed the fact that you were on Android, so the issue of keyboards is quite different. On the Android and iOS we are using the Unicode keyboards. However, when searching a Greek or Hebrew text or field in a tool, you can use the English keyboard and it will do the search in the original language. It will not convert the search text that you see, but it will use it.