Exegetical Summary Series--even MORE hyperlinks!

R. Mansfield

Quick little update. When I put together the video on the Exegetical Summary Series on Monday, I mentioned that there are over half a million hyperlinks in the combined 30 volumes. However, even while I was creating the video, our developers were hard at work adding even more connections to other lexicons, commentaries and Bibles in the Accordance Library. I've now received word that there are at least 700,000 hyperlinks in the ESS! We even linked the old BAGD lexicon (which was never available in Accordance) references to the current version of BDAG!

If you haven't watched the video or read the blog post, you should really check it out!

SIL%20ESS%20Thumbnail.png?dl=1

• Like 3

Lexicons

Two of my favourite must have Accordance modules are the nidntte and nidotte and I couldn't See any links in the video to these ( plus being a uk Person i ended up with the complete bdb) are these works referenced in the original text and your magic add ons?

I understand and totally support your descision over Bdag and it’s brilliant the links you make to the commentaries (particularly my other must have, the wbc).

Good question Fraser. The Abbreviations and Bibliography list the older The New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology and appear in the content as DNTT, but much to my surprise and joy, these references link to the newer NIDNTEE. Outstanding job, Accordance!

One of the things addressed in this product is the missing Discourse/Section/Pericope titles of paper texts in our electronic texts. Now I get to see these from a variety of sources without the need to go to the bookshelf. This feature I am liking more than I thought I would.

All in all, this set is one of those few purchases I have made over the years that greatly exceed my initial expectations (and I am pretty fussy about big purchases and pretty well check things out quite thoroughly). The links are absolutely amazing and results in this Series becoming a top priority resource. It is really like having another kind of Info Pane, as Rick stated in the video.

Shalom

Joseph

• Like 3

Fraser, it seems that the NIDNTT  is used only in the Ephesians material. Yes, that should have been NIDNTTE and not NIDNTEE in my previous post. ;-)

Joseph

Two of my favourite must have Accordance modules are the nidntte and nidotte and I couldn't See any links in the video to these ( plus being a uk Person i ended up with the complete bdb) are these works referenced in the original text and your magic add ons?

A bit of clarification here. The Exegetical Summary Series includes references in the Ephesians volume to the older New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology (NIDNTT), edited by the late Colin Brown. For some reason it's abbreviated as "DNTT" in the ESS, which is a bit non-standard. Just to clarify, this is not the same as the revision, the New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology & Exegesis (NIDNTTE), edited by Moises Silva. The hyperlinks connect to the older version edited by Brown instead of the revision by Silva because both are still available. 

As for the BDB, it is used in both the Joel and Malachi versions, and we supply hyperlinks to the "Complete" BDB. The Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament (TWOT) is used in the OT volumes, too, to which (of course!) we provide hyperlinks. 

See screenshots below. 

BDB.png?dl=1

NIDNTT.png?dl=1

Okay, thanks to a private exchange with Solly/Joseph, I've discovered that in regard to the NIDNTT/NIDNTTE, the links in the Exegetical Summary Series will first look for the original Colin Brown edition of the NIDNTT, but if a user doesn't have that in his or her library, but the newer NIDNTTE is present, Accordance will automatically go to the appropriate spot in the revision. 

I only had access to this title about 48 hours earlier than some of you, but I have to admit that I'm still being impressed by it--or more accurately impressed with what our developers have done.

• Like 2

The links are absolutely amazing and results in this Series becoming a top priority resource. It is really like having another kind of Info Pane, as Rick stated in the video.

Shalom

Joseph

Bringing the info pane to iOS (or android)!!!!

;o)

Ps thanks for the comprehensive answers.

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

Bringing the info pane to iOS (or android)!!!!

Now that is an excellent idea! Yes, it does work on my iPhone as a kind if Info Pane.

I am also enjoying the many TEXT notes. The ESS is not as comprehensive as the Comfort Text Commentary, but the ESS text notes will discuss why some English translations vary at places based on manuscript choices. 

I just keep finding more and more I like about ESS!

Shalom,

Joseph

• Like 1

I've noticed in the screen shot in the original posting (also on the video) an inconsistency with hyphens and n-dashes in the module, some with and some without spaces. Is this deliberate? The voiceover on the video doesn't give enough details here.

See the first line of the screenshot in the OP above.

In terms of typography and punctuation, the minus sign, hyphen, n-dash and m-dash are different and have very specific usage.

Edited by Alistair

In terms of typography and punctuation, the minus sign, hyphen, n-dash and m-dash are different and have very specific usage.

I see what you're saying. I hadn't noticed it before now in the ESS, and I would guess that this kind of inconsistency (which probably some won't see, but for others might stick out like a sore thumb) was probably in the original etext our developers received. 

Although the methodology behind the use of hyphens in the semi-literal translation is more involved than what I went into in the video, I don't believe there's supposed to be a difference here. I believe they are all supposed to be hyphens.

Although the methodology behind the use of hyphens in the semi-literal translation is more involved than what I went into in the video, I don't believe there's supposed to be a difference here. I believe they are all supposed to be hyphens.

I have the volume on 1-2-3 John, but the Preface does not elaborate on the use of hyphens in the translation. Does another of the volumes have a more complete explanation?

this kind of inconsistency (which probably some won't see, but for others might stick out like a sore thumb) was probably in the original etext our developers received. 

When I worked in publishing I would always query this sort of inconsistency with the author—or just correct it as part of my job.

Alistair, there is some description in the blog, about half way down before the lexicons heading to explain insertions and if there is a space or not.

https://www.accordancebible.com/ESS-SIL

Hi Fraser,

Thanks, I did read that, but have read it again.

See (to it that) you(pI)-do- not -despise one of-these little-ones; for I- -say to-you…

I understand the usage in the first line, with the 'you(pI)-do- not -despise', yes I can see what they have done and it fits.

The Greek means 'not you(pl)-do-despise'

But I don't get the usage with 'I- -say to-you'

Maybe I'm just being dim…

I think it is because the …λέγω γὰρ ὑμῖν… has γὰρ which has been moved or it would read "I-say for to-you"

So it should really read "For I-say to-you" if I understand the methodology correctly.

You cannot separate the 'I' from the 'say' because in Greek it is one word.

EDIT Maybe someone who has this module should search for 'hyphen space hyphen' to see how that is used elsewhere?

BTW with the ESV with Strong's and the NA28 Greek NT, putting the mouse over ὑμῖν in the Greek text causes the wrong 'you' to be highlighted in the ESV

Is this an error in the ESV or the NA28 Greek NT?

Edited by Alistair

As a basis for discussion, a semi–literal translation of the Greek text is given so that the reasons for different interpretations can best be seen. When one Greek word is translated into English by several words, these words are joined by hyphens. There are a few times when clarity requires that a string of words joined by hyphens have a separate word, such as “not” (μἠ), inserted in their midst. In this case, the separate word is surrounded by spaces between the hyphens. When alternate translations of a Greek word are given, these are separated by slashes.

https://accordance.bible/link/read/SIL_Exegetical_Summary#5702

There is also this from the volume on Joel:

The discontinuous use of hyphens signals a skewing between the Hebrew word order and fairly conventional English word order used in the semiliteral translation. For example, in Joel 2:19, the hyphenation in the expression

and- I–will- -not -make you(p)

Edited by jarcher

There is also this from the volume on Joel:

The discontinuous use of hyphens signals a skewing between the Hebrew word order and fairly conventional English word order used in the semiliteral translation. For example, in Joel 2:19, the hyphenation in the expression

Hi!

That makes sense because I am guessing the Hebrew reads 'and-not I-will-make' but I still don't get the second Greek usage I described above :(

Sorry to keep going on about it but I have looked through nine Amazon previews of volumes in this series and am convinced the text as shown above is in error, either in the original or by the making of the Acc. module.

The 'hyphen space hyphen' example (I- -say) does not fit with the sense or usage for hyphens as detailed by the authors.

"As a basis for discussion, a semi-literal translation of the Greek text is given so that the reasons for different interpretations can best be seen. When one Greek word is translated into English by several words, these words are joined by hyphens. There are a few times when clarity requires that a string of words joined by hyphens have a separate word, such as “not” (un), inserted in their midst. ln this case, the separate word is surrounded by spaces between the hyphens. When alternate translations of a Greek word are given, these are separated by slashes."

This allows for

word1-word2 

and 

word1- not -word2

but does not explain 

word1- -word2

I'm done now.

Edited by Alistair

As one of the developers of this text, I can say that this pattern word1- -word2 occurs 22 times, 21 of which are in the 2 OT volumes. 4 in Mal, 17 in Joel, one of which is the example: 

is meant to show that the Hebrew word order and morpheme combinations are thus:

and–not I–will–make you

James N. Pohlig, An Exegetical Summary of Joel, Exegetical Summary Series; Accordance electronic ed. (Dallas: SIL International, 2003), 13.

https://accordance.bible/link/read/SIL_Exegetical_Summary#240

This leaves our Matt 18:10 example. I will agree with Alistair that it is a mistake in the source e-text we licensed. It has been corrected and will be released in an update soon.

• Like 2

Thanks for the information Graham! 

This is another example of the excellent support and help from Accordance staff.  :)

Shalom,

Joseph

• Like 2

The WBC links for the NT are to  WBC-NT-26. This is no longer available as a tool it is now WBC-NT-25. I noticed it because I have just got a new laptop to which I downloaded Accordance from scratch and of course it did not download WBC-NT-26 just the NT-25 and the separate Colossians volume. It may not be a problem for those who never had NT-26 but in my case it kept looking for NT-26 which I have now copied across from my old backups.

As one of the developers of this text, I can say that this pattern word1- -word2 occurs 22 times, 21 of which are in the 2 OT volumes. 4 in Mal, 17 in Joel, one of which is the example: 

This leaves our Matt 18:10 example. I will agree with Alistair that it is a mistake in the source e-text we licensed. It has been corrected and will be released in an update soon.

Thanks Graham for your input, I'm glad it wasn't just my brain not working. 

The WBC links for the NT are to  WBC-NT-26. This is no longer available as a tool it is now WBC-NT-25. I noticed it because I have just got a new laptop to which I downloaded Accordance from scratch and of course it did not download WBC-NT-26 just the NT-25 and the separate Colossians volume. It may not be a problem for those who never had NT-26 but in my case it kept looking for NT-26 which I have now copied across from my old backups.

I'm sure this will be fixed soon. Could there be a way to link the Colossians hyperlinks to the WBC Colossians for those who have it?

Edited by Alistair

Please will you unify the usage of hyphens/n-dashes as well? Thanks

We will look into correcting this, Steve. 

• Like 1