Parallels Desktop recommendations

Michel Gilbert

Hi,

Would anyone like to share their experiences with Parallels Desktop? In particular, would you recommend it, and, if so, do you think I would need an antivirus program in a Windows 10 VM for just one program (BW)? I wouldn't use the Internet or mail in the VM.

Thanks in advance, and regards,

Michel

Techy People at work whose opinion I really value and trust (I used to work in an international IT company) recommended I get virtualbox rather than parallels. I use anti virus despite mainly using ms (Visio and access) and adobe (cs5) software. I have been pleased with their recommendation.

https://www.virtualbox.org

Ps, I found Windows booted and ran a lot faster on my mbp than it did on my dedicated windows desktop. ;o)

Edited by ukfraser

I've used both Parallels and VMWare over the years, and can't recommend one over the other, but have had satisfactory results with both. Although I have a Windows laptop, my main computer is a Mac. Since I need to access Windows regularly, I am in Parallels just about every day. I find it to be a much better solution than Bootcamp, which requires a restart every time it is used. 

As for antivirus software, I just use Microsoft's built-in Windows Defender and would recommend the same to others. You can keep a Windows install in Parallels quarantined off from the rest of your computer, but I choose not to do so. Therefore, I want Windows Defender to run. It certainly doesn't hurt anything. 

As an aside to this issue, years ago back when Macs had PowerPC processors, I was running Windows 98 in VirtualPC on my Mac but without any antivirus software. I didn't feel like it was necessary because it was installed on a Mac with very little concern about viruses at the time. In time as the performance of the Windows install decreased well beyond what I thought it should, I installed one of the various antivirus programs available back then (this was before Microsoft had their own solution with Windows Defender). To my surprise, I discovered over 10,000 virus incidents on that install, which I thought was totally separate from everything. I thought I was only connecting to the internet for updates.

Although I know that Windows 10 is much more secure than Windows 98 was, I would never run a Windows install unprotected in any context. 

I'm paranoid enough about such things that I also run BitDefender on my Mac. 

I don't use anything except for Windows Defender, but the beauty of a VM is that it's a single file that I can back it up every day. If I get a virus, I'd know pretty quickly, and could restore from a previous version of the VM.

I use and am happy with VirtualBox. I run BW, L and other programs in it, while my MBP and the Mac side are my primary tools.

EricC, I'm curious about why you run L in Virtualbox and not on the Mac side?

EricC, I'm curious about why you run L in Virtualbox and not on the Mac side?

It's kind of tradition or a rut. I used L long before I knew anything about Accordance. I only use it for a few things that for whatever reason I've not (quickly) found a way to do to my satisfaction in Accordance. And I use it to read books not available in Accordance. Fact is, my favorite non-original-language Bible software is SwordSearcher, and it is Windows only. So other than Accordance, I do most Bible study on the Windows side. My experience with L's Mac app makes me think it's just as good (better) than the Windows one, but with most Bible stuff happening on the Windows side, I just stay there.

I don't like using Accordance on Windows after having gotten used to it on Mac (before the Win version was released). I just find the Windows version of Accordance un-Accordance-like (probably just an impression, not reality). Nonetheless, when I want to copy a citation with italics or other formatting, I'll open up Acc for Windows and do the copying from a Acc-Win app to a Win app.

I have just found that I've invested what seems like hundreds of hours in learning various Bible software programs, and I would rather spend time learning the Bible itself. So, if it's not slowing me down, I just keeping doing things as I have in the past.

Not an elegant answer, I know. <_<

• Like 1

I have just found that I've invested what seems like hundreds of hours in learning various Bible software programs, and I would rather spend time learning the Bible itself. So, if it's not slowing me down, I just keeping doing things as I have in the past.

Not an elegant answer, I know.

On the contrary, I think this is well said. 

And, thanks everyone.

Michel