Not consistent on where the test opens when using NIV notes

softecsolutions

I am very new to Accordance and I find it amazing.  One thing I noticed is that when I have a NOV open in one zone, with the NIV notes in another zone, sometimes when I click on a biblical reference in the NIV notes, it will open in a new zone, other times it will change the reference in the original zone where I had my text.  I would much prefer that it open the new zone, so that I do not lose my place in the original reading.  I don't know if this is a bug in the software, or in me.  :)

Welcome to Accordance!

If you don't want a tab to update, make sure the triangular recycle icon is off (gray) not blue.

Welcome to Accordance!

If you don't want a tab to update, make sure the triangular recycle icon is off (gray) not blue.

HI Helen.  Thank you for the welcome.  It is awesome software. 

The triangle is off. I can't seem to paste a screen snip here, but this is what's happening.  (bear with me)

I have the NIV (2011) with G/K Numbers in one zone.   I have Romans 16:13 open in this zone.

Then I have the NIV (2011) Notes in another zone. 

When I click on a link in the notes, say for Mark 15:21, it will open in a new zone.  That is great. 

But, if I click on 2 John 1, it will open in the first zone, what I originally had my text for Romans 16:13.  So then I lose my spot in that zone, and it also changes the context in the Notes zone, of course.  (I hope this makes sense.)

That is because the type of link in the notes is different.

The Mark 15:21 is a reference to a verse and will open a new pane with the bible reference

The 2 John 1 is not a reference as such but a link to that part of the Notes (hence the S before it). It is saying see 2 John 1 in the notes. Hence it takes you to that place in the Notes so that you can investigate the references there.

By the sounds of it you have one Zone with two panes (or you have tied the two zones). This means that the notes and the bible text are in parallel. So when the notes pane changes the bible moves with it and vice versa.

See the help for information about Zones/Panes/Tabs.

When the notes changes there is a back arrow that allows you to go back to where you were previously (underneath the panes next to the 'go to' box). The other option is to not have the two in parallel (i.e. in two separate zones and not tied) so the notes move separately from the bible. However that, of course, means that they will not scroll together.

Edited by Steve King

While trying to decide which software to buy, I spent ages looking at podcasts. Totally agree the software is awesome but so are the help resources (and this forum).

Have you seen this? It may give you some ideas on setting up Accordance to help you study the way you want to

https://www.accordancebible.com/Customizing-Workspaces

Wow, excellent suggestions.  Thank you.  I will look into this.  I thought I might be the one with the bug.  Thanks again.

Welcome to Accordance!

Hi Helen.  I was just going to update my post.  This issue seems to happen only when my text is NIV 2011 with G/K Numbers.  If I start with another text, say ESV or NAS, both with study notes, they consistently open the links to scripture in a separate window.  I have leaned to work around it a bit.  It has helped that Steve mentioned the "go back" arrow, which does take me back.  It would be better if it behaved like the other study notes.  If I link the ESV study notes with the NIV text, I don't have the issue.  It seems to be in the notes section for the NIV.

If I start with another text, say ESV or NAS, both with study notes, they consistently open the links to scripture in a separate window. 

Hope the following helps as an explanation of this.

This is because the ESV and NASB notes do not have this particular type of note that the NIV does (a kind of chain reference). From the abbreviations section in the NIV 2011 notes it says:

ABBREVIATIONS

*       indicates an Old Testament verse or phrase which is quoted in the New Testament

ver    verse

S       see another list of references that will cover a slightly different aspect of the concept or word being studied

The 'S' tells you to look at another verse for the references which is where Accordance takes you in this case. (ESV and NASB do not have this type of link in their notes). Do you use the 'Instant Details'. If not switch that on and it will display the reference as you hover over it. In the case of this type of link it will not display a reference because it is not actually a reference in the same way as the others - it is a link to the Notes file. An example is Genesis 1:6

Genesis 1:6

a S ver 3

b S ver 1; Isa 44:24; 2Pe 3:5

c ver 9; Ps 24:2; 136:6

The 'S' prior to ver 3 and ver 1 is saying see the verse reference list for those verses which is why Accordance takes you there. It is actually a link to another section of the notes not a link to the reference. If all you want to do is see what the reference is then instant details may be your best option or just beginning to recognise the different types of link.

Just to let you know. You can, if you want to, mix and match the notes and the bibles - so you can have the NIV open with the ESV notes for instance.

• Like 1

Hope the following helps as an explanation of this.

This is because the ESV and NASB notes do not have this particular type of note that the NIV does (a kind of chain reference). From the abbreviations section in the NIV 2011 notes it says:

ABBREVIATIONS

*       indicates an Old Testament verse or phrase which is quoted in the New Testament

ver    verse

S       see another list of references that will cover a slightly different aspect of the concept or word being studied

The 'S' tells you to look at another verse for the references which is where Accordance takes you in this case. (ESV and NASB do not have this type of link in their notes). Do you use the 'Instant Details'. If not switch that on and it will display the reference as you hover over it. In the case of this type of link it will not display a reference because it is not actually a reference in the same way as the others - it is a link to the Notes file. An example is Genesis 1:6

Genesis 1:6

a S ver 3

b S ver 1; Isa 44:24; 2Pe 3:5

c ver 9; Ps 24:2; 136:6

The 'S' prior to ver 3 and ver 1 is saying see the verse reference list for those verses which is why Accordance takes you there. It is actually a link to another section of the notes not a link to the reference. If all you want to do is see what the reference is then instant details may be your best option or just beginning to recognise the different types of link.

Just to let you know. You can, if you want to, mix and match the notes and the bibles - so you can have the NIV open with the ESV notes for instance.

Thank you for this, Steve.  Some very good suggestions.  I see what you mean about the "S" and that it takes me to a different section in the Notes module, which would then move where I am in the Text module.  Good idea about the quick view.  This is one crazy program. (In a very good way.) I have been a PC StudyBible (by BibleSoft) user for years, but they have fallen behind so much that I needed to find something better.  PC StudyBible is much simpler in some ways, but does not have the power or speed of Accordance.  And not as customizable either.  It will take me a while to build up my Accordance library to the point that I had PC StudyBible, but I better get used to Accordance.  (Oh, since I make my living in the computer industry, I just wanted to say that Accordance was written by Mac people to drive us PC people crazy.)  Ha ha.  Thanks again for your advice.  I can see that this is a very well supported product, by the users and the company itself.  It is nice to be onboard.

It does take a while to get used Accordance, partly I think, because many bible software programs are designed around the idea of books. What I mean is that they work like you would with a number of books open. Certainly in the case of the Bible, Accordance is based on the text rather than the physical book. That gives it a wonderful flexibility but initially makes it awkward for people like me to get their head around it.

It is a brilliant program but does require some effort to get the best out of it and learn how you can best set it up for yourself and how you want to use it. As ukfraser mentioned above the podcasts are well worth a look. There are also online training sessions available which you can sign up for.

In terms of building up your library it is worth looking out for specials - you can get discounts on certain products. Every so ofter there will be deals available on the collections which are worth looking out for.

I actually moved over to Mac because of Accordance (there was no PC version at the time) and I am glad I did.

• Like 1

It does take a while to get used Accordance, partly I think, because many bible software programs are designed around the idea of books. What I mean is that they work like you would with a number of books open. Certainly in the case of the Bible, Accordance is based on the text rather than the physical book. That gives it a wonderful flexibility but initially makes it awkward for people like me to get their head around it.

It is a brilliant program but does require some effort to get the best out of it and learn how you can best set it up for yourself and how you want to use it. As ukfraser mentioned above the podcasts are well worth a look. There are also online training sessions available which you can sign up for.

In terms of building up your library it is worth looking out for specials - you can get discounts on certain products. Every so ofter there will be deals available on the collections which are worth looking out for.

I actually moved over to Mac because of Accordance (there was no PC version at the time) and I am glad I did.

Hi Steve:

I would say that your analysis of the way the software is designed is spot on. Thank you.  It is a whole different way of thinking.  I spent a couple more hours with it last night and kept discovering more and more.  I have also watched some podcasts and they are very useful.  They also have recorded full length training sessions, which are very helpful.  I was also very fortunate in that they are currently offering extremely good discounts on the packages, which is why I took the plunge now. (I have already upgraded from English discoverer to English Pro.)  Thank you again for your insight and comments.  It will help me to start to think in terms of content and text, instead of just focusing on the individual books.  (It is a shame though, that you had to go over to the "dark side" in order to use Accordance.)  :D

• Like 1

I was running Zondervan and then pradis on windows and when I moved to mac, spent about a year looking at systems before I decided on Accordance. That included looking at virtually every Dr. J podcast and some of their conference videos.

Breath of fresh air moving to Accordance! The podcasts not only got me up to speed very quickly, they made me aware of the program’s potential which enabled me to study in ways I wouldn’t have considered before.

I certainly have no regrets, have resources I never would have considered (nivac, Beale, comfort, Nidntte, nidotte, sacred bridge) or only ever dreamed of getting (wbc on offer) and have them on my ios devices.

As Steve says, it’s worth watching the webinars as again you pick up tips on how others use it. There is also a very readable pdf which i have found very helpful as I like manuals.

http://www.accordancefiles1.com/products/Accordance11Manual-print.pdf

But the support area of the web site is well worth investigating. You have invested in the software so it’s worth investing time in getting the best from it. But the forum is a great area as well.

• Like 1

(It is a shame though, that you had to go over to the "dark side" in order to use Accordance.)  :D

Any apprentice will find that there is so much more power available on the dark side  ;)

• Like 2

I was running Zondervan and then pradis on windows and when I moved to mac, spent about a year looking at systems before I decided on Accordance. That included looking at virtually every Dr. J podcast and some of their conference videos.

Breath of fresh air moving to Accordance! The podcasts not only got me up to speed very quickly, they made me aware of the program’s potential which enabled me to study in ways I wouldn’t have considered before.

I certainly have no regrets, have resources I never would have considered (nivac, Beale, comfort, Nidntte, nidotte, sacred bridge) or only ever dreamed of getting (wbc on offer) and have them on my ios devices.

As Steve says, it’s worth watching the webinars as again you pick up tips on how others use it. There is also a very readable pdf which i have found very helpful as I like manuals.

http://www.accordancefiles1.com/products/Accordance11Manual-print.pdf

But the support area of the web site is well worth investigating. You have invested in the software so it’s worth investing time in getting the best from it. But the forum is a great area as well.

Thank you, Frazer, for the tips.  Hmm, a manual.  Deep sigh.  Probably a good idea.

• Like 1