Declinable (or not) Names in Matt 1:1-17

Abram K-J

Two things stand out reading through the genealogy in Matthew 1:1-17:

1. Some names are declinable, i.e., take different forms in accusative when compared to the name in the nominative case. Others are not, so that the two times you see the name (accusative and nominative), it looks identical.

I have only done a quick grammars search, but am not sure if there are rules that govern which names (i.e., proper nouns) are declinable and which are not... or if there are ways to be able to guess, based on the name, if it will decline or not.

2. The definite article helps a lot in determining case, of course. Interesting, though, that a name in this passage is preceded by a definite article when in the accusative case but not the nominative case.

• Like 2

interesting point.

Robertson and BDF have some discussion of it. Robertson includes some notes under The Article for names with the article. I haven't read them all yet.

That said, without a consistent approach to name declension it would be harder to determine the subject from the object of the verb, so perhaps it was just a simple expedient and then once the pattern was established it made sense to follow it.

thx

D

Edited by דָנִיאֶל

With regards to the names, I believe Mounce also makes short mention of names in his grammar (3rd edition, pg. 48) as well as in his Morphology book. Since most names in the list come to us from another language they don't follow usual declension patterns.

Edited by jarcher

I found it interesting that not only is Bathsheba not named all she gets is a definite article!

• Like 3

Any significance to the transliteration Ῥαχάβ vs the Ῥαάβ, the LXX transliteration in Joshua B and the one in Hebrews & in James? The latter (also not declinable) is always accompanied with the declined appellation πόρνης, τὴν πόρνην,  πόρνη.

Interesting - I had a quick look. My first thought was some attempt to capture the 'ch' sound in the ח in the Hebrew. I note that with Rachel we have Ραχηλ for the Hebrew רָחֵל which is a rather similar case I think. Ῥαχάβ for רָחָב, yet there is no Ραηλ form is attested in the NT or LXX.

Thx

D

Looks like BDF (sections 39, 53-57) has some discussion on names and declension.

Edited by Abram K-J