2018: Greek Gospels in a Year

Abram K-J

Well, I thought I could...  It's still not an option to select in the preferences, though.

Well, I thought I could...  It's still not an option to select in the preferences, though.

Not in Accordance at the moment.

Greetings

Fabian

There certainly would be benefit of reading parallel synoptic sections as you move along, but there is much to gain reading each in turn, as well. However, I would most definitely start with Mark first, then Matt, then Luke, then John.

Joe – Reading through Aland's Synopsis Quattor Evangeliorum was suggested by Alan E. Kurschner on James White's Blog here.  I've got it hardbound in Greek/English. We also have it (sans notes, as far as I can tell) in Accordance.  The addition of the front matter and all the rest of it in a separate Tool would certainly be nice.  Even a read-through in English – which is what I am doing – is well worth the effort.  So far it's been a huge blessing.

Abram – Thank you for the User Tool.  I downloaded & duplicated, giving the copy a new name.  That way I can keep track of where I am in the user tool itself without messing it up for next year.

• Like 2

Julie--I have that Greek/English synopsis, too, and love it! 

Julia, yes, gospel synoptics is my primary research area. (about half of my dissertation was a custom Greek synopsis of gospel texts). NERD!

I have long advocated that an acual Aland Synopsis would be a fantastic addition to Accordance. The parallel tool is NOT a replacement. An actual synopsis has "line breaks hard coded" (so to speak) so that phrases line up as you read along.

Look at the Hermeneia Q volume in Accordance as an example of an actual synopsis as a module.

The vast majority of gospel scholars consider Mark to be written first, hence the suggestion to read it first, to then facilitate notice of redactional distinctiveness for Matthew and then Luke in turn. This is why most synopses publications place Mark in the middle, as a middle term source-wise.

• Like 5

I have long advocated that an acual Aland Synopsis would be a fantastic addition to Accordance. The parallel tool is NOT a replacement. An actual synopsis has "line breaks hard coded" (so to speak) so that phrases line up as you read along.

Look at the Hermeneia Q volume in Accordance as an example of an actual synopsis as a module..

1+ for the Aland synopsis

Edited by Michael J. Bolesta
  • Like 2

Julia, yes, gospel synoptics is my primary research area. (about half of my dissertation was a custom Greek synopsis of gospel texts). NERD!

I have greatly benefitted from NERDS who care about the details of the NT.  Thank you!

Edited by Julia Falling
  • Like 1

I downloaded & duplicated, giving the copy a new name.  That way I can keep track of where I am in the user tool itself without messing it up for next year.

That's a really good idea, Julia.

• 5 years later...

I've moved this thread up under Original Languages to give it some fresh love. If @Abram K-J or someone else wants to post a new post on here about how to read through the Greek in a Year to help "relaunch" discussions on here, feel free to!

Currently (October 21st, 2023) there are about 10 weeks or 71 days left of this year. So, if we were start a new Greek through the year (for what is left of 2023) then I would recommend the NT book of 3rd John (or the third epistle of John) it only has 15 verses. We could start off by reading one verse a week for 6 weeks, and then 2 verses a week for 3 weeks, and 3 verses for the last week. 

Works for me!

• Thanks 1

• Dr. Nathan Parker unpinned this topic