Instant details not always giving 'gloss' in 12.2.1

Daniel Saunders

Just noticed in the latest update (12.2.1) that the instant details doesn't always give the gloss in Greek texts (haven't tested Hebrew).

For example - forms of ειμι don't display a gloss (actually I first noticed this with a bunch of words in Matthew 2:6). I think the bug is linked to the instant details database, as the problem shows up regardless of which Greek text I used (UBS5, UBS4, TR).

And the bug shows up both in the instant details display window, and if I copy the instant details from the word (using the contextual menu).

Thanks Helen. Can confirm the bug exists for Hebrew texts too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I can confirm that this is also a problem in Windows Acc 12.2.1

Both Greek and Hebrew, some glosses appear, others do not

Yes this is a signifcant bug as the Instant Details Word Glosses are a major helpful feature.  

Look forward to a fix.

Thank you

I have found that Instant details is not looking up all the links in the Life Application Study Bible.

For example, I did a search in Research, and hovering over some of the results from the LASB reveals the verse in ID, but not others (specifically from the Master Index of the LASB).

Opening the LASB into its own tab reveals the links from the Master Index (so it isn't that they aren't tagged) and they show up fine in ID.

So it seems to me to be an issue with the Reseach results not identifying that they have a link that should be shown in ID.

post-101-0-52366600-1515246940_thumb.jpg

Edited by Alistair
  • Like 1

I have found that Instant details is not looking up all the links in the Life Application Study Bible.

For example, I did a search in Research, and hovering over some of the results from the LASB reveals the verse in ID, but not others (specifically from the Master Index of the LASB).

Opening the LASB into its own tab reveals the links from the Master Index (so it isn't that they aren't tagged) and they show up fine in ID.

So it seems to me to be an issue with the Reseach results not identifying that they have a link that should be shown in ID.

attachicon.gifP.jpg

This issue has not been fixed in 12.2.2.

• Like 1

These particular links do not bring up instant details from the research window because they are not scripture links, but are links to within the "Life Application Study Bible".  Links to within a module can only populate instant details from inside that module.

These particular links do not bring up instant details from the research window because they are not scripture links, but are links to within the "Life Application Study Bible".  Links to within a module can only populate instant details from inside that module.

How very false tricksy clever. I never would have thought of that. To me, a Bible reference should link to a reference in a Bible.

Thanks for the heads-up. :)

• Like 1

If you look at that section within the tool, it is a topical index referencing those sections of the tool.  I think having them be simple scripture references would be making the tool less useful.

• Like 1

If you look at that section within the tool, it is a topical index referencing those sections of the tool.  I think having them be simple scripture references would be making the tool less useful.

Hmm, this is strange.

Yes I see that the link itself is not to the actual scripture but is an internal link to another part of the same tool.

But putting the mouse over those links (Scripture references) reveals the linked verses in Instant Details.

1) When the tool is open in its own window, and I mouseover a reference (linked to a non-scripture part of a tool), I can see the actual Scripture in Instant Details.

2) But if that tool is revealed as the result of a Research search result, the mouseover doesn't work?

Sorry but it just seems to me to be a failure of the Research results. How can it work one way but not another?

Edited by Alistair
  • Like 2

Using the example you posted above:

"God never changes  Ps 59:10"

The "Ps 59:10" is not a link to Psalm 59:10 in the Bible, but is a link to Paragraph 6603 within the "Life Application Study Bible" tool.  Essentially, the link is telling Accordance that it is a link to "the paragraph that is 16,906 paragraphs before the paragraph this link is in."  So, as long as you are in the "Life Application Study Bible" instant details will know where to go to get the information, and clicking the link will know where to take you.  But when you are in the research window, "16,906 paragraphs before this paragraph" no longer has any clear meaning, so clicking one might do nothing, or it might cause a crash, so we purposely remove links of that type from research windows.

Now, it wouldn't be impossible for us to add a feature that would change the link in the research tab so that it is still useable, and we may even do so at some point in the future.  User feedback is one of the best ways to decide what features are worth taking the time to add.  But the point that we were making is that this is not a bug, because it is currently working as it was designed to work.

I hope this answers your questions, Alistair!  I really appreciate you taking the time to help us improve Accordance!

• Like 1

Alistair, when I mouse over the links in the Master Index, when the tool is its own tab, both Instant Details and clicking accomplish the same thing - show me the section of the tool they are referring to.  For instance, from the section "God never changes  Ps 59:10", the instant details provides:

[Life App Study Bible]
59:10	David was hunted by those whose love had turned to jealousy, and this was driving them to try to murder him. Trusted friends and even his mentor, the king, had turned against him. What changeable love! But David knew that God’s love for him was changeless. “His unfailing love continues forever” (100:5). God’s mercy to all who trust him is just as permanent as his mercy to David. When the love of others fails or disappoints us, we can rest in God’s unfailing love.

This is of course different from the actual Psalm:

Psa. 59:10  	My faithful God will come to meet me;
	God will let me look down on my adversaries.

Is this not what you are experiencing?

…we purposely remove links of that type from research windows…

Now it makes sense. That is exactly the point I was trying to make. Thanks!

• Like 2