Ideas! I need ideas!!!

Timothy Jenney

• 2 months later...

removed

Edited by HansK

There are growing users who are using, started to use, or considering Accordance for Ipad as their primary tool and possibly the ipad as their only device. I know there are some very helpful videos and tutorials to use Accordance for the ios. But it will be nice to tackle this from the perspective of a user who wants only to use the ipad. What this would entail is going from different direction. Not the direction of what features the accordance of ios has, but from the direction of the user: what the user wants to accomplish. These would be divided into three categories:

1) Those functions in which Accordance for the ipad can easily do and are documented. No need to highlight those.

2) Those functions that require deep knowledge, special maneuvering, or workflow. These what are needed.

For example advanced search commands, advanced settings, and various other features. I know they are documented for Accordance for Mac/Windows. It will be nice to be done for Accordance for ios. In fact, it can be a series of Advanced Tricks for Ipad users. I realize that would not appeal to everybody, but if Windows/Mac is fully documented, it will be helpful to fully document Accordance for the ipad.

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestion, Daniel!

I am actually working on a podcast now for Accordance Mobile 3.0 for iOS. You may have noticed it's been in beta. It will be mostly a feature review, but you are right, we need more iPad podcasts.

I've kept putting them off, hoping against hope that Apple would finally release an iPad that will run macOS. Then our users could run Accordance Desktop on it. Alas, each year I have been disappointed. I've given up hope.

Let me chew on this awhile, as the iPad  is not my primary workstation. I'll need to see what is possible with Accordance and what is not.

Thanks!

• Like 2

I've kept putting them off, hoping against hope that Apple would finally release an iPad that will run macOS. Then our users could run Accordance Desktop on it. Alas, each year I have been disappointed. I've given up hope!

You and me! I had given up hope that accordance would release the holman bible atlas after you released the satelite one but hey, you never know whats round the corner!!!

I am actually working on a podcast now for Accordance Mobile 3.0 for iOS. You may have noticed it's been in beta.

as the iPad  is not my primary workstation. I'll need to see what is possible with Accordance and what is not!

I had heard rumours and am really looking forward to it. Hopefully the feature review will help you with the last part but up to now, Living without the detailed analysis and clever original language graphics, with minor adjustments to my workflow and accepting Only having a single resource open at a time, most things can be done. You just suffer from rsi!

Are there any tablets currently that will run the accordance desktop?

You need a Windows tablet. That can then run the Windows desktop version.

Thx

D

Are there any tablets currently that will run the accordance desktop?

Anything that runs full windows eg microsoft surface but lots of others (or mac os though these are mega bucks)

Quite a lot listed elsewhere on the forum

Edited by ukfraser

Oh you mean something like the Modbook. I'd forgotten that OSX tablets existed. Pricey as you say though.

Thx

D

Um... how-to videos for new features in 13!

• Like 5

Um... how-to videos for new features in 13!

• Like 3

Rick ... you're such a tease

• 5 weeks later...

One more idea.

How to purchase Accordance

I led a few people through the process of buying Accordance. They thought it is not really self explained. And I have to admit, I agree. 

So I think it would be good if Dr. J. makes a Podcast about this topic. 

1. If the person had Accordance Lite installed.

2. By going through the process by purchasing it in the Store. Without Accordance Lite is installed an no account is done.

2.1 If they had no Gift Card

2.2 It they had a Gift Card

2.2.1 To verify the Code

2.3 If they are eligible for a discount

2.4 ...

3. To download the new modules.

3.1 The option we have to download or to not download. 

4. How to purchase Modules

Maybe this Podcast has to be done after the new HP is online. And Accordance 13 is out if we there are able to hide items which we don't want to download.

As I have gone trough this process with others I have to say: You don't have only to talk about it. You have to go through the process in a video.

Greetings

Fabian

Edited by Fabian
  • Like 2

Thanks!

Maybe I'm wrong, but you mentioned often in the Videos to stay updated. But you newer show where the settings are in the Preferences. 

Earlier (I guess before 12)  the predefined settings was set to not search for updates. So it was by a friend who strayed on a earlier version of 11 because he never got App or a module update reminders. 

Greetings

Fabian

Interesting point, Fabian. I figured everyone knew how to stay updates, as I have shown it numerous times. I guess it is time to include it in another podcast.

Thank you.

• Like 1

1) More on Syntax  (both as used in the Search box and in construct searches)

• Comments: Something aimed at advanced usage of these features, what is there today gives only a hint of what can be done.

1) Cover each of the major sections of tags and how they are used.

2) Give an overview of the syntax model that is being used.

3) Cover the differences between HMT and ETCBC syntax.

2) More on MT-LXX

• Comments: The first time I asked questions about some of the capabilities of the MT-LXX I got answers from Accordance that were wrong. The package has far greater capability than I was first led to believe, but because I was told I couldn't do what I had hoped to do, I stopped looking for solutions. While I now have most of the capabilities figured out, I think it would be really helpful to others to have a much more detailed podcast of the capabilities. Some of the important things that should be covered:

1) You can add multiple conditions to allow searches where a specific Hebrew word matches a specific Greek word. I was originally told that I could do this only by using the [Merge] capabilities;

while [Merge] is incredibly powerful and useful, it was the wrong way to handle this.

2) You can search for items in the comments separately.

3) You can change from "Search with in Article" to "Search within Paragraph" (Note: understanding how a "paragraph" is defined in MT-LXX is very important.)

4) Show text as Paragraphs should be highlighted, and "Add Titles" should be explained as "Show text as Paragraphs WITH titles" (The current description doesn't imply the connection with the previous choice"

5) A full description of how [Merge] can be used.

3) Advance use of search box capabilities.

1) Syntax search capabilities.

2) Wildcard syntax.

Edited by miketisdell
  • Like 2

Thanks,  Mike!

• Like 1

Another Idea.

Organize the Library

First to explain what I have done here

Second: I have often done some screenshots of your Library which you showed in the Podcasts or from other users or from the Webinars as an Idea how I can organize my Library. 

Maybe you ask users who had a sophistic library organisation to share it.

I have after a fresh install of Accordance build my library organization a bit different than before, but I'm not finished. So I would love to see good ideas.

Greetings

Fabian

May this can be also a Blog, with different library organizations. But it would be difficult to show the full Library in one image.

Edited by Fabian

Dr. J,

Maybe it's time to go back to some of your earliest podcasts and redo them using the latest version of Accordance with its many enhancements.

• Like 2

Thanks, Randy!

I actually just finished doing that about a year ago—though that was before Live Click and the other BW enhancements. We don't take the old videos down, but we have been replacing them on the Recommended Sequence.  We also try to be sensitive to the needs of those who haven't upgraded recently, another reason we don't remove the oldest videos.

• Like 1

You could do one on the difference between the Mac App Store version and the version that comes direct from Accordance, plus discuss how Mac App Store users could transition to the direct from Accordance version in the event they wanted to.

I think you did some videos on transitioning from BibleWorks to Accordance, but if there are other stuff BibleWorks customers want, you could find out and add those as well.

I don't know how much this would interest others, but I've been working on corpus linguistics and stylostatistics kind of work. Most of this requires collecting simple stats (word counts and such) and then exporting them and processing them in other tools - to produce charts and comparisons. But I'd be interested to see what Accordance can do in this space that I might have missed. For that matter, I'd be interested if Accordance is planning any new features aimed at this kind of work.

As a simple question one might ask about Atticism. Then one might ask about how one would use Accordance to gather evidence supporting or refuting a claim that such and such a work shows Atticistic tendencies. Or one might ask about register and then look at indicators of register in various texts and how one might compare them.

Thx

D

[chuckle] Daniel,

Such inquiries are well beyond my own expertise (though I'd like to encourage you to request any new features that may make such investigations possible). I have found that there is almost always someone in my viewing audience who knows more about a particular topic than I do!

I try to do two things in my podcasts. First, to model efficient ways to use Accordance effectively. This is the sort of basic training everyone needs in Accordance. Second, to stimulate viewers to consider what other sorts of ways they could use Accordance—to unleash their own creativity. This is why I strive to address a wide array of topics and techniques in these podcasts, rather than sticking with my own narrow areas of expertise.

I think of myself as planting seeds. If an area expert watches me do a simple query in his/her area, perhaps s/he will be motivated to ask more advanced questions. In fact, many times at SBL those who visit our booth discuss just those sorts of things with us.

In any case, I applaud your desire to dig deeper and explore the boundaries of what Accordance can do.

Dr j, as a spin off, i always value seeing modules being used that i do not have in my library and have frequently seen something that i didnt know existed but have bought and subsequently enhanced my study. So thank you forthe seeds you plant!

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1