OCR Software?

R. Mansfield

Does anyone regularly use any OCR software for scanning in photocopied documents?

The only two offerings I seem to be able to find is Omnipage Pro X and Readiris. Neither one seems to be on par with their Windows counterparts, but from what I understand, Omnipage doesn't even work in newer versions of OS X.

I think I'm about to purchase Readiris, but wanted to get others' opinions first.

I have a "light" version of OmniPage Pro X that came with my scanner. But I couldn't get it to install. So I got on their website, and there were instructions (for the regular Omnipage, not my limited edition) telling me to run the installer from Classic. I was able to get that to work, but then Omnipage only loaded in classic. And from what I understand, you can't install Omnipage into more recent versions of OS X.

Did you install your copy of Omnipage recently, or was it on your machine installed in an earlier version of OS X?

And you mention the higher price. That is making me lean more toward ReadIris, too since it is significantly cheaper.

In case anyone is interested, I went with Readiris. It was $129 (cheaper than Omnipage, which I was skeptical as to whether it would install on my machine anyway) and downloadble. I've already scanned and converted a couple of articles and have found it to be quite useful.

Guest frgpeter
I have a "light" version of OmniPage Pro X that came with my scanner. But I couldn't get it to install. So I got on their website, and there were instructions (for the regular Omnipage, not my limited edition) telling me to run the installer from Classic. I was able to get that to work, but then Omnipage only loaded in classic. And from what I understand, you can't install Omnipage into more recent versions of OS X.

Did you install your copy of Omnipage recently, or was it on your machine installed in an earlier version of OS X?

And you mention the higher price. That is making me lean more toward ReadIris, too since it is significantly cheaper.

Sorry, I wasn't reveiwing this thread. I have the Macintosh version for OSX running. The install was in OSX.

The one that comes w/ scanners is their older OS version. It runs just great, better than TextBridge did.

Archived