Question regarding ports on Macs

Emanuel Cardona

I have a question ... are the HDMI, USB, and Thunderbolt ports sizes the same for both MacBook Pro Retina (Late 2012 to Mid 2015) and MacBook Air (Mid 2017)?

Emanuel, I take it you're asking about the physical size the port hole.  Yes, these ports have all remained consistently the same,  However the speed of transfer has changed over time USB 2 to USB 3, Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 etc,.  They are backwards compatible but if you have older peripheral the port will be limited to the older speed.  The only main change in in 2013 was that all Apple computers now had the mini display port instead of the previous larger one.  The advantage being that the mini-display port also doubles up as a Thunderbolt port. From last year the MacBooks and some Macbook Pros were now having most of those ports replaced with the new USB Type-C, in which case you would need an adaptor to make certain peripherals connect to your laptop.    

In answer to your question all the laptops you mentioned above had compatible ports across the range.

I hope this helps.

Edited by Paul Meiklejohn
  • Like 2

Note that the MacBook Air doesn't have an HDMI port.

• Like 2

Thank you both, Paul and Mark! I assume the same can be said for the SD slot on the Macs.

Yes, if it has one, it will read all SD cards that are formatted for Apple OS of MS DOS (Fat). :-)

Edited by Paul Meiklejohn
  • Like 1

Thanks again, Paul!