iPad handwriting to text app? Apple pencil or another stylus?

Julia Falling

Hey –

Has anyone found a wonderful app for this?  I'd like to take notes and have them convertible to text.  I'd prefer to use an Apple pencil, but another stylus is fine if that is the best way to go.  

I do not own anything but a non-smart (dumb?) stylus.

Thanks!

Check out WritePad Pro. It comes with a handwriting keyboard replacement that will actually work in any app that accepts text input. In the app itself, you can just write anywhere on the screen or in the keyboard replacement. It costs $1.99. There is a 99¢ version called WritePad for the iPad with less functionality. But for $1.99, I'd recommend getting the full version. 

I still use my trusty boxwave stylus (bought for ipad 2). Looking at apple pencil but i have no need to upgrade at present.

Another alternative is upad, more expensive though.

UPAD 3 by PockeySoft

https://appsto.re/gb/1Cj8x.i

I used to use it a lot and liked it. Then went to evernotes because of interface with android, windows and mac.

Now i mainlyy use apple's notes for ipad, iphone and mac and type rather than do handwritten notes.

Edited by ukfraser

Thanks for the suggestions.  I am currently playing with Steve's Apple Pencil.  The WritePad Pro is cheap enough that I went ahead and bought it.  It does not like my cursive italic handwriting!  I make my e's with two strokes.  I cross my t's, joining the cross to the next letter.  It may take quite a while for WritePad Pro to learn.  I'm certainly not going to relearn!  Steve learned cursive in Scotland (his dad was in the Air Force and stationed there).  So we both have weird handwriting.

I know that James White uses a LiveScribe pen + their notebooks.  Since I don't do debates, nor am I in school anymore, it's hard to justify that kind of expenditure.

Fraser, do you have a fine tip stylus or the normal fat one?  I'll use Steve's Apple Pencil for now, but he's gonna want it back.

Original old fat soft balloon nib. Expensive at the time but its lasted me about 5 years.

This thread reminds me of my Newton Messagepad 2000… And how "anti-stylus" the first iPhones were…

Bit like Pete seeger's setting of Ecclesiastes (and the immortal sound of the byrds and the rickenbacker 12 string)?

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Pardon the resurrection of an old thread, but I've been using Nebo on my iPad with a Logitech Crayon stylus and it's fantastic. It does a terrific job learning even pretty shabby handwriting.

• Like 1

Struggling with the new app store. What are the in app purchases? What do you get for free? Is it just pro version you have to upgrade to?

thanks. 

Edited by ukfraser

Nebo changed their pricing model after I bought it, so I'm not certain. To be honest, when I find an app that I really love, I'm happy to support the developer so the app doesn't disappear. I love Nebo. So I'd say try whatever they give you for free and see if you like it. 

• Like 2

Nebo does an unbelievable job at handwriting recognition. They have since added keyboard entry, but their strength is how well they take my horrible penmanship and arrive at what I intended to write. I use the iPad Pro 10.5 and original Apple Pencil.