drag & drop, copy & paste font issue

tlw5560

When I drag/drop or copy/paste to Word 2004 my font is "transformed" from Arial to Geneva. When I do Greek it looks like Helena but when I put click it with my mouse the format pallet shows it to New Times Roman or Lucida Grande. So I have to redo the dropped/pasted fonts. It is a minor annoyance, but I suspect that the answer is something simple--any help out there?

BTW, when I use Pages English, Hebrew and Greek are all listed as Helvetica. The Greek and Hebrew look slightly different, but pass for Helena and Yehudit.

What setting are you using for exporting Greek and Hebrew in the Preferences?

What setting are you using for exporting Greek and Hebrew in the Preferences?

I had export all characters in unicode format

Greek is helena & Hebrew is Yehudit

When you do Unicode (as you should) the characters will no longer be in Helena and Yehudit, but in the Unicode font you choose, or if your font does not have these characters, in the default font. The only settings that do affect the Unicode are which diacritics you choose to strip. This is why the Greek and Hebrew seems to be set to an English font.

Helen's right on the money here, of course. If you paste in Unicode, the text in the clipboard is font independant, and will thus be displayed in whichever font is set in your word processor. Some fonts render Gk and Heb well (read: like UBS and BHS), while others display them in quite a stylised way (these fonts are usually the sans-serif fonts).

I recommend getting your hands on some quality fonts for both languages. Cardo is probably the best Hebrew font out there, in my opinion. The SBL Hebrew font and SIL Ezra are also good. Also have a look at Tyndale for some good fonts. For Gk, I recommend checking out the Greek Font Society.

Thanks for all the help--the forum gang is always responsive.

Helen's right on the money here, of course. If you paste in Unicode, the text in the clipboard is font independant, and will thus be displayed in whichever font is set in your word processor. Some fonts render Gk and Heb well (read: like UBS and BHS), while others display them in quite a stylised way (these fonts are usually the sans-serif fonts).

I recommend getting your hands on some quality fonts for both languages. Cardo is probably the best Hebrew font out there, in my opinion. The SBL Hebrew font and SIL Ezra are also good. Also have a look at Tyndale for some good fonts. For Gk, I recommend checking out the Greek Font Society.

Ben

Thanks for the information. However, when I downloaded the Cardo font from both the scholarsfonts and the Tyndale web sites, they were Windows True Type, which Word 2008 refuses to recognize.

Jack

Archived