Accordance on the iPhone

jwritebol

I hope I'm not repeating this announcement. But check this out.

http://www.olivetree.com/iphone

BibleReader on iPhone

Olive Tree Bible Software's mobile BibleReader

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any chance we can get a word from the Oak Tree developers on this? I'm pondering buying OliveTree's Bible Reader now that it can sync its Bibles with the ones purchased directly from Olive Tree. Yet, I can't help but keep thinking how nice it would be if the same sort of arrangement could be had with Accordance -- either sync'ing with the Accordance server or (better yet, as I mentioned before) building some sort of simple server into Accordance 8 so that the local computer would sync modules with the iPhone as the *Pedias do with PocketPedia.

It would still be great not to have to repurchase modules -- great enough to easily justify a relatively high pricetag for a simple, lightweight reader -- say, $30-$40.

Somehow I just know as soon as I decide to buy OliveTree's product Oak Tree will announce Accordance for iPhone is coming. ;)

• 1 month later...

Has any one got around to using Mantis Study Bible yet?

I've been using various free bibles, and had used Mantis when it first came out. But I later deleted it in favor of bibles like YouVersion and Bible Reader. Later I found myself sitting in church wanting to follow the notes in my NetBible and comparing that to other versions, so now I'm looking to go back to Mantis.

They've upgraded it a lot since I've used it and now I'm thinking very seriously about investing in "modules" for Mantis. However, if Accordance is even remotely thinking about letting us use at least some of the modules I've already invested in, I don't want to waste money.

One of my biggest gripes with these programs is that I can't sync my notes to my desktop. The other must have bibles for my method of study are NET, KJVS, AMP and Message as well as paralleling ESV, NASB, Hollman, and others.

I've looked at BibleXpress, but it doesn't have my "must-haves" yet, and of course Mantis doesn't have AMP yet. Sometimes I don't get a good signal depending on where I sit (or where the ushers sit me), so having a bible stored on the phone is awesome.

What say ye?

Sorry, we really have nothing definite to report yet, although we are considering developing an iPhone app. This is not a simple venture and will take some time even if we do embark on it.

Well I have been putting Mantis through the paces and have bought a few modules and I must say, it has definitely won my vote for now.

Inline notes are great. Highlighting and adding notes is cool.

Navigation while reading in church is number 1, and here's the kicker:

I exported my notes from Accordance and added them to my notes in Mantis via their website. So now I can manage and edit my notes via a web interface and keep my notes with me on my phone! I'm not into greek and hebrew but they seem to have good facilities for advanced users as well.

I can see a desktop bible software developer teaming up with them to provide a one stop shop since it looks like they've really put a lot of work into this program. Version 4 is coming out soon and I can't wait.

• 2 weeks later...

I too would like Accordance for the iPhone. No, I don't expect to be able to do much in the way of complex searches, but I'd sure like to be able to read any of my Bibles, do a simple search, or read some of the other "Christian classic" modules I own while waiting in line for whatever...

I own a Palm and use eReader for my fiction books. I love being able to read them on my Palm, my laptop or my desktop computer without purchasing a different version of the book for each platform.

My ideal? Purchase a new "AccordanceLite" engine for the iPhone that would let me read any of the modules I already own for Accordance. Of course, since I don't have an iPhone yet, I'd enjoy just such an app for my Palm... :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

Is there any news or plans at all for the iPhone?

I find I am beginning to spend money for Hebrew and Greek texts and other resources from a couple of companies for iPhone Bible programs. I really don't want to repurchase tools for my iPhone that I already have in Accordance, but I am beginning to consider doing so in order that I might have access to them on an occasional basis when the MBPro isn't near by.

I don't really think we need deep search functionality on the iPhone, but it would be nice with a gesture to see a verse in parallel with the original language, a commentary or a concordance.

What tools are you purchasing from whom for the iPhone? I, too, am purchasing Bible study applications for the iPhone and would love to know what you have found helpful thus far. I have been waiting for Accordance to come up with something since the iPhone was announced. I guess I'm getting impatient!!!

What tools are you purchasing from whom for the iPhone? I, too, am purchasing Bible study applications for the iPhone and would love to know what you have found helpful thus far. I have been waiting for Accordance to come up with something since the iPhone was announced. I guess I'm getting impatient!!!

Mantis Study Bible has been a blessing to me so far, but I understand about paying for multiple tools for different platforms. Anyway, one good thing about it, I was able to export my notes from Accordance and get them into Mantis Study Bible for iPhone.

www.mantisbible.com

Olive Tree has Bible Reader. I like it because there are options for background and text colors. There are many public domain texts available for free and they have a pointed BHS text available.

On the other hand, Mantis has a super fast gesture system for accessing different texts, books, chapters, and verses. They have a drill down system using Strongs and NAS which is tied to Thayers and BDB. In addition with two touches you can view a verse in parallel Greek and English.

I know the Accordance programing team could do it so much better.

• 9 months later...

Sorry, we really have nothing definite to report yet, although we are considering developing an iPhone app. This is not a simple venture and will take some time even if we do embark on it.

I know I'm just anxious because that other Bible software company put out an iPhone app this last week but where does Accordance stand on developing for the iPhone/iPod Touch platform? Thanks! I really appreciate the solid, non-Alpha, software...

I know I'm just anxious because that other Bible software company put out an iPhone app this last week but where does Accordance stand on developing for the iPhone/iPod Touch platform? Thanks! I really appreciate the solid, non-Alpha, software...

I've used the OTHER guys stuff for two days now and their iPhone App is awesome, especially how it integrates with the desktop version! I so wish there was something like this for Accordance!

Olive Tree Software's Bible Reader is the excellent, mature bible app option for iPhone.

You should definitely give it a try.

I think it would be fantastic to see Oaktree and Olivetree partner in this undertaking.

I'll concur, OliveTree has an excellent iPhone app and it keeps getting better. However, if OakTree made an iPhone app I have no doubt that it would outshine the competition. If they develop it I'll buy it.

I am also on olivetree right now on my iphone (had an old account since my blackberry days, and I am delighted to see that I can just redownload the modules for the iphone, so I do not have to repay anything.

But if I could get accordance for iphone I would pay good money for it.

Buy? Who said buy? It should be free like the Logos app. The question is what modules would be included free.

Buy? Who said buy? It should be free like the Logos app. The question is what modules would be included free.

But the logos app requires a internet connection and is just connecting to bible.logos.com if I'm not mistaken. I would think an Accordance app would be a thin client for viewing your existing modules (the ones you want to sync).

But the logos app requires a internet connection and is just connecting to bible.logos.com if I'm not mistaken. I would think an Accordance app would be a thin client for viewing your existing modules (the ones you want to sync).

Actually your copy of Logos 4 syncs with the Logos iPhone app. So reading lists are synced when updated on either platform, so are bookmarks, etc. Only 2000 of the 10,000 modules are available on the iPhone, and then, only the ones that you own, but they are working on the rest. The vast majority of the modules i have are accessible on the iPhone. It is an incredibly slick app!

It does work with some free modules, but you don't see the full benefit unless you own Logos 4. I use Olive Tree & Laridian and this app from Logos blows them away. The only downside that I can see right now is that you need to be able to get phone service (you do NOT need an internet connection).

The only downside that I can see right now is that you need to be able to get phone service (you do NOT need an internet connection).

I'm not sure what the distinction between "phone service" and "internet connection" is, since if you have one you will inevitably have the other (whether the internet connection is 3G is another issue, and I guess if you were traveling in a very remote area that GPRS may not even be available). I would test your hypothesis on this app by turning on Airplane Mode and trying to use it.

I'm not sure what the distinction between "phone service" and "internet connection" is

The distinction is between "phone service" and WiFi. I was merely addressing the assumption from an earlier post that you need an internet connection in order for Logos to work on the iPhone. (There are some apps that require WiFi and will not work with only phone service). Logos for the iPhone does not require a WiFi connection, but will work with just "phone service." Sorry if that wasn't clear. As you pointed out, it is rare to be any place and not have phone service. Therefore Logos for iPhone will work most anywhere.

You are correct that Logos for iPhone does NOT work when you iPhone is in Airplane mode. For that you'd have to use Olive Tree, Laridian or maybe an Accordance app (someday??)

• 4 weeks later...

Phone service? If Logos is connecting to the logos cloud, that is an internet connection. I didn't say wifi necessarily

Phone service? If Logos is connecting to the logos cloud, that is an internet connection. I didn't say wifi necessarily

Archived