Disabling the "Recently Opened" list when looking for resources

Ιακοβ

Over time I've noticed that the commonly used resources may or may not still be in this recently opened list, and there are enough things in the recently opened list that scanning through it is time consuming. So I always just type to search. But because when I type to search, 90% of the time what I want isn't there, I realize I now always go back to whole library and then search.

This means the recently opened list is alywas "in the way". I now always have to tap out of it. Can we get an option to just turn it off so we can jump straight to searching the whole library?

It also means, that when I type to search but have forgotten to jump out of the "recently opened" page I am left wondering what happened to that resource.

Often when this happens I think it's not downloaded, so I jump into the download page to try and download, and the. Discover the resource is already downloaded.

This happens to me about once per week. I have really come to loathe the "recently opened" list.

You do know you can clear it whenever you want, at the bottom of the list in the submenus where it appears (for opening a module)?

• Like 1

Sorry I should have been clearer, I do mean iOS.

The problem with the recently used list is not that it has too many entries in it (that it would need clearing) but that it doesn't hold enough entries.

For example, just then, I went to switch to BDAG, and I type "bdag" to search he recently used list and it's not there so I have to go back and do a full library search and type "bdag" again. This happens to me all the time. It has me wondering, Why is BDAG not in the recently used list? Did I not use it for a few weeks? Did it go away because I read too many other modules. If "Recently Used" doesn't hold the things I need, it becomes a screen of uselessness I have to skip through to get to the full library search. Does his make any sense what I am trying to explain?

Just today I went to look something up in the Greek, I typed LXX and it wasn't in the recently used list, I don't know why it's not there, it's something that is almost always open in the second panel while I'm reading my bible. but because it's not there it makes me think "aargh, why is it not coming up... now I have to go back to the library screen and type LXX again... why did I even bother typing LXX on the search box for the recently used items screen when I know I can always get it when I type LXX on the library search screen"

Perhaps an alternative solution to hiding the recently used screen would be to make it so recently used actually holds everything I have recently used in the past few months?

The recently used list is not updated with what is in the second panel only with a primary opened resource. Also if you amplify to a resource that is not put on the recently used list unless you end up not using the back arrow and just go back to the library using the library icon at the bottom.

Never really given much thought to this but maybe it is a bit inconsistent.

• Like 1

The recently used list is not updated with what is in the second panel only with a primary opened resource.

Yep, so this means, when I am not sure if I have opend it in the top or the bottom, I have to just always skip over searching in the recently used window and go straight into searching in the library window. Hence, the Recently Used window seems pointless and just "in the way".

Edited by Ιακοβ

Opening a resource in the secondary pane will not add it to the recents list. This is currently by design and could be changed. Opening a module by amplifying should add it to the recently opened list so if that is not happening I would consider it a bug.

We've long had a design goal with several library improvements including a UI that segments it into favorites, recents, and the full library and opening to whatever section you were in before. As well as adding in all the categories from the desktop app. It's just that the list of features for this free companion app to the desktop only seems to get longer and priorities shift all the time.

Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 1

That is awesome, this would certainly solve the problem of finding it slow to switch between resources!

It's just that the list of features for this free companion app to the desktop only seems to get longer and priorities shift all the time.

I understand where you are coming from when you rightly see iOS from the perspective of a "free companion app". However for me, I probably perceive iOS as the "awesome but slightly clunky primary interface" to accordance that I always have with me. And i probably see the laptop version as "the companion app that you can use if you brought your heavy/cumbersome laptop with you".

• Like 1

I probably perceive iOS as the "awesome but slightly clunky primary interface" to accordance that I always have with me. And i probably see the laptop version as "the companion app that you can use if you brought your heavy/cumbersome laptop with you".

That makes two of us. I use the iOS app every day multiple times a day and the Mac app every couple days or a couple times a week.

Edited by Brian W. Davidson