User Notes Searching

farcas

User notes updates:

* search for scripture verses that have been turned into links (e.g. search for 1 Sam 1 and get 1 Sam 1:3 or 1 Sam 1-3)

* improve RTL text and thereby improve searching for RTL text

* select text (a portion of a verse) and then add a note to that text - brings a snippet over into note and marks it with a highlight in the text

* allow other types of content (as in other tools) to be searchable (e.g. tags on a note)

* allow complex searches between different types of content (e.g. content: אמר <AND> scripture: 1 Sam 1 <NOT> [Range 1 Sam 1]

Thanks!

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

+1

Yes, and a search for the User Notes content in Research is important.

Please activate also the Quick Entry Pop-Up menu in User Notes, plus the command-J function.

Greetings

Fabian

• Like 2

+1

Also it would be nice to be able to search scripture in notes. That way if I put cross reference in at Gen 12:1 for Gen 22:2, it would show up up if a searched for Genesis 22 or Genesis 22:1-5. Or something where it recognizes the reference as a reference beyond just for hovering.

Thanks!

Sorry just saw that I already posted this in this vet thread. Well you get the idea. user notes have such potential with a few build outs.

• 1 year later...

+1

Good requests, and please allow wildcards to be used when searching the User Notes.  As of today, it doesn't seem that wildcards are allowed.

Edited by TYA
  • Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

*bump* any hope for this one? Would be really nice to have a boost in notes: search improvements, text/formatting/RTL stability... etc.

Thanks!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some other helpful improvements / add ons

• stability improvements overall - I find it glitchy especially when switching between different languages
  • wider recognition for scriptural links in Auto making links (e.g. currently it does not recognize John 1:1 but will recognize Jn 1:1)
  • option to drop the table of contents on the left side (waste of space) when opening notes on their own
  • more display options like we have in text display (e.g. option to drop reference)
  • more options for importing notes (right now all I'm aware of is importing one verse per one document)
  • automatically find scripture links when closing
  • auto update when closing (without dialogue box popping up)
  • insert note on specified verses

• 1 month later...

bump ...again...

• Search view improvements - right now when I search for something it is incredible difficult to find if its not in the first paragraph or two of notes. It would be helpful for the search hit to be at the top of pane so it would be obvious where the hit is.
  • Way of breaking up notes into articles (is this possible already? it says I can search for an article...) so that when I get a hit result, other content unrelated (broken up by a certain marker? two paragraph returns?) would be hidden. This is how it works with every other tool or text.
  • Search for Scripture option more than just content. E.g. searching for Gen 1:2 would be found in a mention of Gen 1:1-2:4. Right now content search alone won't find it.

• 2 weeks later...

bump bump...

• ​insert a note in multiple verses (e.g. if there's a phrase that shows up in 15 verses it would be nice to avoid the copy and pasting to all 15 verses if I wanted the same note on each)
  • add charts/spreadsheets - simple and basic would do wonders - just something to control tabs better
  • searching Hebrew, Greek etc - ignore diacritics (vowels, etc) options

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

bump bump...Scrolling

• When I scroll all the way to the bottom, I end up with white space that is far below my content. It would be great if the scrolling stopped at the end of of my content
  • ​In searching for content in a note, it would be great if that the hit was shown at the top of the window (auto scrolling) rather than having to scroll through text to find it the hit color

• 2 months later...

Bump... be really nice when searching notes I could find what I’m looking for a lot easier: put my hit at the top of the window?

And is it just me or does the article criteria have no purpose?

• 2 weeks later...

+1

I'm especially interested in the ability to add tags in user notes (this functionality is available in Olive Tree Bible Reader for the Mac). For example, if I wanted to add the tag #alcohol to Isaiah 5:22, I would have to manually type #alcohol somewhere in my user note for that verse. Also, if I wanted to do a global search in Accordance for verses I've tagged with #alcohol, I would need to go to: New Tab > User Notes > My Notes > Select "Content" in the search bar and type #alcohol > hit Enter. That seems like more work than is necessary IMO. I tried researching this a bit, but maybe I missed something?

I think it would be easier to use a Highlight style which is easy to create and add and search on subsequently.

• 2 weeks later...

I just came to the forums to request that User Notes be added to "Research All" and I see it has already been requested here (along with several other excellent requests)! User Notes are vital part of how I use Accordance and it would be great to see these improvements!

• Like 1

+1