Limit to window size?

pandakruon

I'm new here. I usually run Accordance on my second 1680 by 1050 display and keep my wordprocessor over on my smaller Macbook screen. The problem is, I'm losing precious screen real estate because it seems there's a limit to how large (vertically) I can make the Search Window. It won't expand further than 3/4 of the way down the screen..

Any ideas?

There is no vertical size limit. Perhaps you are growing only the entry box, rather than dragging the bottom right corner of the window. Have you tried zooming the window with the round green button?

I'm definitely dragging the bottom right corner of the window. When I try the round green button, it doesn't get bigger, but the whole window jumps over to the other screen.

I don't think it's an issue with my computer, because I have no problem expanding other programs (like Pages) to the full vertical limit, using the bottom right corner or the round green button.

OK, we checked and the zoom (green button) does switch it to the other screen. But the window grows OK. Perhaps you can see if another Accordance window on either screen is interfering with the growing.

Maybe someone else with two monitors can reproduce the problem.

If I use the green zoom button, I can get it to grow (even though it switches screens), but still not beyond the size that it seems to limit me to.

No other window is interfering with the growing. In fact, every Accordance window I try (Instant Details Box, Details, Diagram Window, various other tools) all won't go beyond this vertical limit.

It sounds to me like Accordance is calculating the available maximum size from the smaller macbook screen, and projecting those limits to the larger screen. In other words it's not playing nicely in a dual monitor environment where the monitors are different sizes.

That is what I wondered. but we reduced the resolution on the laptop and it made no difference on the second monitor.

I work with an external monitor(1600x1200) attached to my MacBookPro(1440x900) running 10.5.1.

It appears the 'Green button' will maximize to the screen containing the menu bar. I flopped which screen had the menu bar and Accordance acts the same.

My Dock is positioned on the bottom. When I grow the window that is the only verticle limit that I see (Accordance prevents the window from going into/behind the dock when growing). Unfortunately, Accordance is not as 'Dock Aware' for a Dock on the right side (it allows the size to get wider into the Dock). I could not figure out a way to restrain the height of the window. I have not altered my Dock behavior or other interface tweeks.

Maybe you could post a screen shot(s) (Command-Shift-3) when the Accordance window is at its maximum. Also let us know if you are using any interface tweeks...

Mike

Thanks everyone for the help so far. Mike, thanks for telling me the shortcut to screen capture.. I was wondering how to do that. Ok, so Picture 1 is my Macbook monitor. Picture 2 is my 1680X1050 display. What you see there is the vertical limit for the search window. I cannot drag the bottom right corner any further down (although I can make it wider)..

So.. I guess back at everyone. Can anyone post a screen capture that actually shows Accordance fully expanded on a second display?

post-12033-1204318292_thumb.jpg

post-12033-1204318310_thumb.jpg

Thanks everyone for the help so far. Mike, thanks for telling me the shortcut to screen capture.. I was wondering how to do that. Ok, so Picture 1 is my Macbook monitor. Picture 2 is my 1680X1050 display. What you see there is the vertical limit for the search window. I cannot drag the bottom right corner any further down (although I can make it wider)..So.. I guess back at everyone. Can anyone post a screen capture that actually shows Accordance fully expanded on a second display?

I just tried this and got similar results (ie, when clicking + it moved the Accordance window to the macbook display and sized it according to that display), but I was able to drag it to full screen on the external display.

Although it shouldn't matter, have you tried 'flopping' the menu bar in display prefs from one display to the other?

It's entirely your preference, but I would recommend having your menu bar on the same monitor as your Accordance workspace (that is, unless you have memorized all the keyboard shortcuts).

It looks to me that the windows are constrained by the resolution of the laptop monitor unless the menu is set to be on the larger external monitor. To do this open the displays preference in System Preferences. Click on the Arrangement tab and drag the white strip from the smaller monitor to the larger monitor.

I always run with the menus on the larger monitor, but I set it up with the menus on the laptop and then I can replicate your problem.

Problem solved (mostly).

I 'flopped' the menu bar to my second display and immediately was able to enlarge the window to fill the entire screen (Interestingly, when I put the menu bar back to the Macbook monitor, the same vertical limit was imposed). It would be nice to be able to go full screen no matter where the menu bar is, but I'm happy for now.

Thanks everyone! I appreciate all the help.

Archived