Minimum System Requirements

Joshua French

What are the minimum system requirements for Accordance 7? I know that you should have OS 7.5 or higher and 20 mb of HD space, but what are the recommendations for RAM and CPU speed?

Joshua

Joshua,

Accordance runs great on all the systems I've used it on. I currently use Accordance on an iBook G4 1.33GHz with 1GB RAM, and it runs perfectly. Everything is very fast and smooth. I also run it on a new iMac, 2.4GHz, 2GB RAM. Obviously, it screams on there, too. But honestly, the performance is not that much different between the two for standard tasks. Large or complex searches show speed improvements on the iMac over the iBook, but I certainly don't feel like I'm getting a sub-par experience on the iBook.

I've also run Accordance in the Emulator on a Pentium 4 Dell. It runs fine there as well, although personally I hate the emulator environment (not Accordance's fault).

I don't know if OakTree has recommended system requirements, but I thought I'd pass on my experience.

Hi Robb,

Thanks for the info. Do you (or anyone else) think that it would run okay on a 600 Mhz G3 with 256 mb of RAM?

There is a person in our town who sells iBooks for $100 with those specs, and I was wondering if they would run Accordance. I don't have a Mac yet, and am looking for a cheap way to get one. I know I can emulate Accordance on a PC, but if I could get a cheap Mac, that would be even better.

Joshua

What Mac OS is it running? From what I've heard, 256 MB of RAM is not enough to reasonably run Mac OSX--at least not Tiger or Leopard.

My mother ran Accordance on an ibook G3 running an early version of OSX (Panther or Jaguar, I'm not sure which)

without a hitch; I don't know what her processor speed or RAM size was.

I've run Accordance on an OS9 iMac without problems.

Lorinda

I agree that if these are running OS X you need to increase the memory to at least 512MB, so make sure that option is available. I would also shoot for 10.3, or 10.2 as a minimum system. I don't think it's worth having to use Classic OS 9 as you are a Windows user, and this will certainly be a temporary fix, you will be dying to get a newer Mac within days. However, Accordance runs fine in OS 9 and will be better there than in the emulator. It may not be as easy to print or transfer your results to your PC.

As everyone said, Accordance will run fine. It's the OS that you'd want to check out. 512MB would definitely help, especially if the system is running 10.4 Tiger. I've heard Panther (10.3) runs OK with 256MB, but I've never tried it out myself. Personally, I wouldn't want to use anything older than 10.4. You'll start out saying, "Oh, this Mac will just be for Accordance." Then it will happen. You'll love the Mac interface, ease of use, and you'll start learning about all the features in Tiger and Leopard, and then you'll be saving your money for a new(er) Mac. Depending on your finances, you might try looking for a used G4 iBook running Tiger. But, all that being said, Accordance will perform fine on the G3.

Archived