Finding ALL the Places in the Bible

joelmadasu

Is there a way to find all the places in the Bible through Accordance? Like a search command or something?

Not sure what you are after, how you want the information presented, how you are planning to use it and what collection you have but there are a couple of dictionaries and atlas with the info presented and there are a lot!

This is in the graphics packages

https://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=Place+Names

I have an niv place names and the zondervan atlas and both have indexes so you can see the places which then have links to where they occur in the bible. Is this any good?

(I know the excellent sacred bridge is currently on offer but it is more like an encyclopaedia in my mind and doesnt have a simple place index though it is a great addition to any library and wouldnt want to be without it.)

Edited by ukfraser

I was looking to find places in each book of the Bible and then explain (for a class), how and why these places are important and how one can apply the information provided for interpretation/Bible study. I just found the "Dictionary of Place Names" in my library. So this might help a lot!

I have some books on Bible Geography. Most of them (so far the one's I read), have great information about a place. But, I did not see how the authors tried to integrate the information into the Text. In other words, how does studying a certain area (in the context), impact the understanding of passage?

Thank you for these examples! 

I didn't know I even had that dictionary !!!

That said another work that shows up in references in a lot of tools is :

Odelain, O., and R. Séguineau. 1981. Dictionary of Proper Names and Places in the Bible. Trans. M. J. O’Connell. Garden City, NY.

I don't have a copy but it might be worth looking up if the dictionary above is insufficient.

Thx

D

Hi joel

Currently its not in accordance but i live in hope. I have the holman bible atlas beside me most of the time so when i read a book, i can refer to it and see the places in context. This is an example from genesis chapters 28-33 & 35 and i havent found an atlas to equal it ( but i am heavily biased as ive been using this for about 15 years).

But the esv study bible is ok for maps to put things in context and has become my go to accordance resource while i wait (but you can see the difference in clarity and information)...

Also, it would be good to have atlas and place dictionary appear in the info pane so also help with identifying the relevant places while studing a passage.

I tend to focus on ios but obviously there is also the accordance atlas which is interactive and may be more use if you are not limited to ios.

Edited by ukfraser

Brisco is certainly nice. I was given a copy for my birthday  - haven't had much more than a brief look at it and begun reading but it looks good.

Thx

D

I bought it for the maps because i wanted to visualize what was going on as i read the bible. I didnt have a sense of distance or terraine and this does just what i want and so far havent come across an instance where it doesnt have a corresponding map.

I scan and either give a print out for home group and evening service or use data projection for the morning service. This has been well received as it enables others to visualize the passage and has been worth the effort.

There is the carta bible atlas in accordance which is probably better but as its monochrome rather than colour, i still stick to brisco.

Not really read the text though.

Thank you, both, for your input!

Also, it would be good to have atlas and place dictionary appear in the info pane so also help with identifying the relevant places while studing a passage.

Yes, I agree :) 

Daniel, I did not even know that there is a resource: Dictionary of Place Names, until now :)

I will look into Holman. 

@ukfraser Having that problem too, I actually got a piece of poster board and printed out a set of map pages for the middle east. Reaches from Egypt to Iran:

post-32023-0-67451100-1486235050_thumb.jpg

It's old school but it keeps you oriented

thx

D

Wow

I find it very humbling when you start looking at where they were carted off to in the exile.

No people carriers or 4*4s in those days.

;o)

Edited by ukfraser

Just found this website. Seems like it might be very helpful!

http://www.openbible.info/geo/

I requested it before, that we can go from Accordance to Google earth pro, since it is free. Now I read it is also open source http://www.macwelt.de/a/google-earth-enterprise-wird-open-source,3380727

I was looking to find places in each book of the Bible and then explain (for a class), how and why these places are important and how one can apply the information provided for interpretation/Bible study. I just found the "Dictionary of Place Names" in my library. So this might help a lot!

I have some books on Bible Geography. Most of them (so far the one's I read), have great information about a place. But, I did not see how the authors tried to integrate the information into the Text. In other words, how does studying a certain area (in the context), impact the understanding of passage?

Thank you for these examples! 

All places had to be tagged as Places in a search to use it like you want. But it would be possible because in the Info Pane there are tagged to Places. 

"Atlas Site Information" is an awesome tool that comes with the Accordance Bible Atlas. You can sort the sites by Biblical Period or Archaeological Period, and also sort by the degree of importance of the site to the period in question. I point it out, because I find that many people never realize they own this resource (including me, for years!).

Edited by Mark Allison
  • Like 1

The original request was for "a way to find all the places in the Bible." I too would like to be able to do this search.

Unless I am mistaken, neither the Dictionary of Place Names nor the Atlas Site Information list all places in the Bible.

The Open Bible Geocoding is good, but I believe their database used coordinates from another source, as opposed to visually locating the sites in Google Earth, with the result that some dots are imprecise--they do not actually rest on the site but are off by some distance from the site. I found a few other places where the source they used was incorrect.

BibleMapper just recently made available a web-based version of their mapping software.

A.D.

I had a look on the support site but could find a list of the words that have been used to tag topics . I assume it considerably long.

But this is what i got for city and town.

;o(

Edited by ukfraser

There is the carta bible atlas in accordance which is probably better but as its monochrome rather than colour, i still stick to brisco.

Not really read the text though.

I own carter's sacred bridge which have very vivid nice colour maps. I would easily recommend it.

-Dan

(I know the excellent sacred bridge is currently on offer but it is more like an encyclopaedia in my mind and doesnt have a simple place index though it is a great addition to any library and wouldnt want to be without it.)

Thanks dan,

Sacred bridge is brilliant but i dont think that its really set out to sit and read with a chapter of the bible. ( thereis a really interesting bit on Wenamon and his travels.)

;o)

Edited by ukfraser

Wow.. Thank you all for your input! I appreciate it!

I will keep trying to find these places. I will also look at the resources mentioned here. I don't have Sacred Bridge; seems very expensive for now.

• 1 year later...

Mentioned earlier in this discussion, the Holman Bible Atlas is now available for Accordance. Only $14.90 through Monday!

Crossgrade pricing from other Bible software platforms is available for only $5.50!

For more information, please see today’s blog post.

• 3 years later...
On 9/21/2021 at 1:42 PM, Mark Fretz said:

I see in the list of terms that place names are tagged with (place). Is there a way to search for that tag?

Unfortunately there is no [TOPIC place] search.