Linking to Apocrypha in a User Tool - Help!

Fr. William Klock

I'm creating a user tool that contains the contents of the 1928 Book of Common Prayer. I'm turning all the Scripture references in the lectionary into "links." I've found that I've had to change a few of the book abbreviations, i.e., Ecclus. isn't recognised by Accordance for some reason and has to be changed to Sirach. I've found one problem that I haven't been able to work around and could use some help:

I'm trying to turn the referenced "Three Children 29-37" into a link. Accordance doesn't like "Three Children" as a book name, even though that's a standard abbreviation. Neither does Accordance like the other standard abbreviation of "song 3 childr." I looked at the text itself in the KJV-Apocrypha module to see how Accordance views it and see that it sees the book as "Daniel 3" and begins the passage with verse 1. This is a problem. Even in the LXX The Song of the Three Holy Children isn't just "Chapter 3," it's a portion of Chapter 3, which begins at verse 24. I could use some help to figure out how to change the scripture reference so that it can be properly linked to the text in a module, preferably the KJVA.

Thanks,

Fr. Bill Klock

Sorry for the frustrations. We go to great lengths in Accordance to allow parallel texts to appear in parallel panes despite their different chapter and verse numbering. The Apocrypha is especially difficult with many different versification schemes and chapter orders. Sometimes we had to actually change the references to allow for parallel texts, but this is always noted in the Read Me file for that text which you should find in the cryptically titled folder called Read Mes. Also note that for any text you can see the abbreviations Accordance uses by selecting List All Book Names (Display menu).

As for linking from User Notes or Tools, we cannot fully support references to the Apocrypha. I could not find a way to make a hyperlink. However you can get around this by defining the reference either as Dan 3 (KJVA) or Dan 3:24-89 (LXX1) and not making it a scripture link. (You can use a different color to remind yourself that it is not an automatic link.) Then in the tool you can select just the reference and amplify to the text, and it will open it in a Search window. If it does not find your selection in the text it searches for the reference, and it will do this in any text, even non-Biblical.

Sorry you have to do this workaround, but I hope you find it helpful.

Helen,

Thank you very much for the explanation and suggestions. This is the only lesson in the lectionary with which I encountered this problem, so I think I'll just leave it "unlinked" for now.

Thanks,

Bill Klock

Archived