Really need some help

Emanuel Cardona

Last week I woke up one morning to use the internet and noticed that I was unable to connect to the internet. I should mention that maybe a couple days before that I noticed that my computer would slow down remarkably when I wanted to print out a document. Other than that everything worked as usual. I searched the internet high and low using my ipad to find a way to fix the internet connection problem. My computer told me something about the event log, but was unable to solve the issue. I tried rebooting, winsock repair and other options, but still unsuccessful. Finally my internet provider was contacted and after much playing around with the computer and the router, it was concluded that it is something that the manufacturer has to fix and that they will charge for the service. Today when I got on the computer to use Accordance, I noticed that for reasons I understand and clearly stated in another forum, I cannot use Accordance offline after 7 days. Now everything just got worse. I can only use my files, but not Accordance or the internet. At the moment I do not have another computer to use for another month or so, so I am stuck without my favorite program. Can someone offer some ways to fix this internet connection problem?

I think that since the program has been disabled on my computer, although I have internet access on my ipad, I cannot use it on my ipad either. Not good.

Hey Emanuel,

Diagnosing network issues is tricky as there are a bunch of different possibilities. It sounds as though you have received a diagnosis of sorts but it's not clear to me what they think the problem is. If it's the network card in the PC or laptop there is nothing for it but to replace it. If it's something more software like I don't see, from what you've described so far, what has changed. It could actually just be a cable problem. I had that myself just the other day - the little retaining clip on the network cable had snapped off and the cable would not stay in my NAS device. Replace cable, problem solved.

You say "Finally my internet provider was contacted and after much playing around with the computer and the router, it was concluded that it is something that the manufacturer has to fix and that they will charge for the service.". What exactly is it that needs a manufacturer to fix ? That sounds hardware like to me.

On the iPad issue I think Oaktree will have to help with that enabling the account for you again. I'm a little surprised you cannot do that from the iPad but perhaps the authorization procedures are built into the desktop apps rather than the mobile one. Until I get my hands on Acc on Android I don't have Acc on any mobile platform.

Thx

D

My wife said that that person she spoke to told her to call the manufacturer to see if they can fix the problem of the computer not being able to have Internet connection although it says that it is connected because nothing is wrong on their side.

My computer was connected wirelessly, but then I attempted to connect it via Ethernet cable, but still didn't work.

Here is a screenshot.

So let me get the picture of your system.

Do you have a wireless network router and a cable modem or do you have a DSL dialup system or something else ?

If wireless from the iPad works and it goes through the same wireless router and then the internet connection then it would seem that they may be correct that the problem lies in the PC though why is unclear. Is the iPad going through the same network or does it have it's own cell connection ?

Thx

D

We have a router connected to the wall (not cable) and home phone. And my main computer is a laptop connected wirelessly. My ipad and my wife's iphone connects to the same network and we have internet connection.

Emanuel, have you tried logging into your accordance account

A) on their web site, eg to see what modules you have

B) in accordance app under settings or doesnt accordance open in which case have you tried going to ios settings and removing last cacheetc.

I go for several weeks not booting up the the full fat version on my mbp and its never affected my ios app whichi am in several times a day.

Edited by ukfraser

Ah ok so the network seems good both through the router and via DSL/cable what have you.

That does suggest that the laptop is in some way at fault.

It would be odd for the wireless network card and the wired network card to both go out simultaneously.

Looking at you screenshot it appears that the PC is connecting as far as the router. If it is then perhaps the fault is in the router sending your connection on. Have you tried rebooting the router ?

Thx
D

Thank you, Fraser! At least Accordance works again on the ipad.

I miss working on the desktop version.

Ah ok so the network seems good both through the router and via DSL/cable what have you.

That does suggest that the laptop is in some way at fault.

It would be odd for the wireless network card and the wired network card to both go out simultaneously.

Looking at you screenshot it appears that the PC is connecting as far as the router. If it is then perhaps the fault is in the router sending your connection on. Have you tried rebooting the router ?

Thx

D

Yes, I tried rebooting the router and it didn't work. I will do it again now.

Still no internet connection when opening the browser after rebooting the router.

If router is working with ipad, not sure why it wouldnt work with laptop. I would try cable again and try it in different sockets ( i have a number on my router).

And switch off wifi and really look at your settings, was never a vista fan despite having it on our church laptop so really cant remember if there any other setting that could cause conflict.

Have you a second cable you could try?

Personally, i would focus on getting connection with cable, not wifi and ive had wifi units die.

Edited by ukfraser

Here is a screenshot.

Edited by Emanuel Cardona

Hi Emanuel,

I really wish I could help you. I offer this as an almost ridiculous suggestion, on the off chance that something that happened to me once might be happening to you.

About four years ago I got wireless internet installed on my rural property, and when the installers and I tried to test the internet, we had a strong signal, but we couldn't connect. My laptop had worked with other internet providers, so we were at a loss. A few days later I found out I had a switch on the outside of my laptop for wireless. Somehow, somebody had turned it off.

In the same vein, would any of the suggestions at https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/Wireless-switch-orange-NOT-blue-on-dv6000/td-p/7382

help? Is there a wireless switch? I also bought usb wireless for my old vista desktop, and it worked well.

Regards,

Michel

If router is working with ipad, not sure why it wouldnt work with laptop. I would try cable again and try it in different sockets ( i have a number on my router).

And switch off wifi and really look at your settings, was never a vista fan despite having it on our church laptop so really cant remember if there any other setting that could cause conflict.

Have you a second cable you could try?

Personally, i would focus on getting connection with cable, not wifi and ive had wifi units die.

My wife tried connecting via Ethernet cable when she spoke to the person over the phone, but they were not able to solve the problem.

Too long ago since i used vista so cant remember exactly where the right setting is but i would open up control panel and look at internet settings. From your first screenshot:

I dont understand why its an unidentified public network? Shouldnt it be you internet providers name there? Its stating just local hence no network. Did your provider give you a disk to run when first installed. Try running that again.

If you look at the wifi setting on your ipad, that will identify what you should be looking for. You can see im connected to bt and when i ran windows, thats what my ie connected to as well.

Edited by ukfraser

Hi Emanuel,

I really wish I could help you. I offer this as an almost ridiculous suggestion, on the off chance that something that happened to me once might be happening to you.

About four years ago I got wireless internet installed on my rural property, and when the installers and I tried to test the internet, we had a strong signal, but we couldn't connect. My laptop had worked with other internet providers, so we were at a loss. A few days later I found out I had a switch on the outside of my laptop for wireless. Somehow, somebody had turned it off.

In the same vein, would any of the suggestions at https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/Wireless-switch-orange-NOT-blue-on-dv6000/td-p/7382

help? Is there a wireless switch? I also bought usb wireless for my old vista desktop, and it worked well.

Regards,

Michel

I checked the wireless switch and it works how it should. As far as a usb wireless, not sure how it may work. I don't have one. But it seems like it's something with the computer itself. Maybe some files or something. If I remember correctly, when all this started, a notification pop up said something about the event log not running, but I was unable to repair it. Tried to restart it, but couldn't. That lead me to search on the Internet and it said something about repairing winsock files. But after doing all this, still the problem of not being able to have Internet connection continues.

Yes the unidentified network puzzled me. ( I also thought as Michel did about a disabling switch - I have one on my current laptop - but I couldn't square that with the PC apparently reporting local network access.)

It is possible that the laptop is locating a different wireless network for some reason rather than the one you normally would connect to. Perhaps try disconnecting from that unidentified network and redo the configuration of the correct one from the information on one of the mobile devices.

The cable network not working is a puzzle also. Normally it would disconnect from the wireless and use wired. But that said I've never used Vista.

One more thing. Any virus detections reported on the PC ?

Tx

D

Yes the unidentified network puzzled me. ( I also thought as Michel did about a disabling switch - I have one on my current laptop - but I couldn't square that with the PC apparently reporting local network access.)

It is possible that the laptop is locating a different wireless network for some reason rather than the one you normally would connect to. Perhaps try disconnecting from that unidentified network and redo the configuration of the correct one from the information on one of the mobile devices.

The cable network not working is a puzzle also. Normally it would disconnect from the wireless and use wired. But that said I've never used Vista.

One more thing. Any virus detections reported on the PC ?

Tx

D

I just checked and it is connected to the network we normally use. See the screenshot.

I ran the antivirus (quick virus scan) and it did not identify any threats. I will see if a full scan will find anything.

Hi Emanuel,

Regarding the usb wifi, I was just agreeing with the person on the link, that it's cheaper to buy usb wifi than a new computer, or at least it could tide you over until then.

USB wifi is just something you plug into a usb port, with a wire and wifi receiver on it. They used to be about $20. And I know one worked on my Vista desktop years ago.

Regards,

Michel

Edit: They don't even have a wire these days.

Edited by Michel Gilbert

Hi Emanuel,

Regarding the usb wifi, I was just agreeing with the person on the link, that it's cheaper to buy usb wifi than a new computer, or at least it could tide you over until then.

USB wifi is just something you plug into a usb port, with a wire and wifi receiver on it. They used to be about $20. And I know one worked on my Vista desktop years ago.

Regards,

Michel

I definitely agree, much cheaper. I am going to check to see if there is one at the local Walmart I can try out.

Given that it thinks you are connected to the router, I wonder if you can see things on the LAN. Can you bring up the router admin webpage on the PC ?

Can you print to any printer on the LAN if there is one ?

Thx

D

Given that it thinks you are connected to the router, I wonder if you can see things on the LAN. Can you bring up the router admin webpage on the PC ?

Can you print to any printer on the LAN if there is one ?

Thx

D

Pardon my ignorance. What should I do to bring up the router admin webpage on the PC?

Normally a router presents a user interface through a webserver running on the router itself. This is usually at IP address 192.168.0.1. This can be hit from a browser on a machine on the local network which is connected to the router. You can just open a browser window and type in 192.168.0.1 into the place you would normally type in the URL for a website. And hit return. It's not guaranteed of course but I would expect it to bring up a login prompt to your router. Now it could be different and thus this test might be inconclusive but if it succeeds then it means you are connected at least to the LAN.

The same connectivity can be checked by printing to a network printing or contacting another machine on the network, for example mapping a network drive on another machine. I don't know if you have other PCs on the network though.

Thx

D