'Copy as Instant Details' in main menu

Daniel Saunders

...following on from Bug when using PopClip.

It would be great (if possible) for 'Copy as Instant Details' to be in the regular menu and not just in the contextual (⌘-click) menu. Hopefully this would allow users to interact with that feature through automation.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for putting in this menu item in 12.0.3. But it seems to not really work as I would expect.

If I highlight a word and then Select Edit->Copy As->Instant Details, what ends up on my clipboard is the word (i.e. what would occur from a straight copy) rather than what was in the Instant Details windows when I selected/placed the mouse over the word.

I realise that this is a tricky UX problem to solve as Instant Details follows wherever the mouse pointer is, rather than 'locking' when a word is highlighted. I can see how the behaviour is useful—for example in a classroom you may want to draw student's attention to a group of words by highlighting them, but then use instant details to parse individual words from that group...however it is quite different from standard UX expectations.

This seems to be working for me. By the way you can 'lock' ID by holding the shift key but it isn't necessary for this feature to work as far as I can tell. If I select (so it's highlighted, not just by mouseover but persistently) then right click Copy As -> ID I can paste it in here for example :

πειθαρχήσαντάς πειθαρχέω    (πείθω, ἄρχω)   Verb aor act part masc plur acc  to obey (Predicate)

[ESVS] G3980  listened

BTW it also works from the Edit main menu in the same way.

ὑπαρχούσης ὑπάρχω    (ὑπό, ἄρχω)   Verb pres act part fem sing gen  to be, exist; possess, have advantage (Predicate)

[ESVS] G5225  Since

but in this case I do have to hold the shift key.

Thx

D

Edited by דָנִיאֶל

Yep דָנִיאֶל - that's exactly the behaviour I've noticed. Right-clicking does what I would expect it to do. What I think is unusual is needing to 'lock' the instant details window by pressing shift. I suppose the difference is you're not really 'copying the currently highlighted word as instant details' but rather 'copying whatever happens to be in the instant details box...and if there's nothing, then copy the currently highlighted word (but not its instant details)'.

Edited by Daniel Saunders

It's pretty much been like that as long as I've known it - 4 years or so. The problem I think is that because ID is affected by mouse position you need a way to indicate that ID not be updated while the mouse is moved to the menu bar. The shift key does that. In the context menu case there is no issue because the mouse is not moved.

Thx

D