Import of User Bible reports too many paragraphs

FiL

I tried to import a bible text and set the format as required in the instructions. When I imported the file I get the following message:

"This Text cannot be imported because there are too many paragraphs markers (

The limit is pretty high, so you must have a paragraph marker on almost every verse. The limit is necessary to prevent memory overruns, and it is related to the number of sentences in the entire text versus the number of paragraphs. For example, if you have 1000 sentences you may have no more that 665 paragraphs.

You can split the text into sections to see which part may have an unnecessarily high number of paragraphs, versus the number of sentences.

• 2 weeks later...
You can split the text into sections to see which part may have an unnecessarily high number of paragraphs, versus the number of sentences.

OK, I split the text into various sections. I found that the Psalms section has the most paragraphs.

Is there a means of arranging the Psalms in poetry form with the use of a "tab" code along with the "break" code to indent the text on the new line.

Thanks

FiL

Yes, you may use tabs, and you may use

as a line break to start a new line. This is detailed in the Help files, in the section titled Doing your own thing. We tried to make the rules for User Bibles simple but flexible. True, most people do not bother to read the documentation for Accordance, but this is one instance when it is essential to follow the rules.

Yes, I did read the documentation and followed the instructions. I also used the <br> to break up the lines to the next line. I also tried to use multiple spaces to get the indented look, but the spaces were ignored.

After your last reply I put in <tabs> (= <\t> in BBEdit) and got some indentation. The first line with one tab, and second line with two tabs after the break <br>

I looked at the PDF documentation but did not find any reference to the tab-spaces. However, I did come across the following:

Text Styling
:
A few texts have certain styles included when they are formatted for Accordance. These styles include ... poetry designated by short indented lines with a further indent when the text wraps around.

Is there a way by which I can get this sort of indented text wraps in the user Bible text?

I quite like the "compare texts" feature and the way it shows the differences. I wish I could use it as a separate application for the work I do where I have to compare documentation texts other than of the biblical variety. Maybe, you could turn it into a utility.

Thanks for your help.

FiL

I am sorry, we cannot support full poetry styles in user Bibles.

We have no plans to produce a compare text utility. Text processors already can do this (such as BBEdit).

Hi Helen,

I have been trying out different things with User Bible texts...

I have two Bible text panes open. I then call up the Imported User Bible text in one of the panes. The User Bible text shows up as dashed lines at each verse. I then call up the same User Bible text in the second pane, the User Bible text then shows up in BOTH panes. What could be the problem here? because I don't want to be doing that ALL the time...

The other thing is a peculiar observation I made regarding the error I reported in my first post above about Accordance producing an error because of the User Bible text having too many paragraphs.

I tried out importing different sections as you suggested:

A) I imported the User Bible text WITHOUT the Psalms section. Accordance imports the Bible text without a problem.

B ) I then imported ONLY the Psalms section to see what would happen. Accordance imports the Psalms text without a problem even though the paragraphs marks are the same as before.

C) When I include the Psalms text in (B ) together with the remaining User Bible text in (A), Accordance reports the error about having too many paragraph marks.

I got a count of paragraph marks

User Bibles cause so much tech support, as we knew they would. I cannot answer you on the paragraphs, as there are internal checks which try to pick up issues that would cause problems. Clearly there are way too many in the Psalms.

As for the pane display, I wonder what the search text is in both cases? Is it your user Bible? And have you clicked OK.

Archived