Verse Sharing on iOS Doesn't Work

sopenco

When attempting to share a verse / selection of verses onto Facebook, user input text appears above an Accordance link, but the text of the verse doesn't appear in the post.

post-33999-0-76430700-1480615888_thumb.png

Hey, 

Unfortunately Facebook has changed their policy on sharing and no longer allows us to add the verse text as we did in the past. We plan to investigate this further in the future to see if it's a possibility. For now, I would recommend copying the verse text and pasting it in the Facebook post.

Chris

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Is there any further news on this one? The link share feature is frankly useless. Would it be possible to just replace the existing feature with a link to YouVersion or Bible Gateway or whatever?

Wow, this is really lame. Shame on FB.

Lance, this is really a restriction from Facebook, not us.  If you use any alternative Sharing method, you'll actually get the text of your verse.  Facebook blocks any pre-generated content that wasn't an image or link.

The best that can be done in these situations is to have the link automatically preview part of the verse.  Its still not copyable or easily readable, but it at least includes some hinting at the content.  We definitely hope to allow this improvement in the near future.

I would also like to point out that, in the two years since this thread started, we have done some significant sharing improvements, with better link support, better formatting, and more consistent usage.

Thanks Joel. So just to clarify ... I notice that if I share a verse from YouVersion I get this: post-272-0-84867200-1551618764_thumb.png

Is that an example of what you mean in your second paragraph? Is it currently possible to do at least that in Accordance? If not, why not? 

Lance, that's exactly what I'm talking about.  You can get a 'preview' of the verse, but you'll notice it isn't selectable, copyable, and if it were much longer, it would be truncated.  In order to do this, its a website feature, rather than an Accordance feature.  We definitely have it on our list of improvements, but since its "not my department", I can't give you a specific timeframe.

At the end of the day, I would recommend, as Chris initially said, doing a Copy and Paste to Facebook.  Even the preview that you get with YouVersion isn't nearly as good as showing the actual contents of the verse.