Official Accordance 12 Desktop Wallpaper

R. Mansfield

External hard drives are perfect! I do well with 256 GB on the SSD. It's never been an issue. A lot of the things we tend to keep on the drive could either be moved to external hard drives or a cloud format. Maybe even deleted in rare cases

Yeah – the SSD storage gets really expensive really quickly.  But consider an alternative.  Rick told me he moved his iTunes folder to an external drive.  I have followed his example and find that the 512 SSD on the MBA is now more than enough.  It's video and pictures that take up the most room.  My husband is the main photographer around here, but I do have a lot of video.

The external drive Rick was using (still using?) was a WD My Passport, right, Rick?  I got one of those at his recommendation.  Lots of room.  Very quiet.  Lightweight.  Relatively cheap.  Works like a charm and small enough to travel when necessary.

I have not found that having the bulky data on an external platter drive slows down iTunes at all.  And instead of looking at $400 to go to just 1TB, you're looking at $127 (Amazon) to go to 4TB external.  That is something I can afford to do.  

If I'm going to spend more on my laptop, I'd go for a faster processor and more memory.  I'm content to keep some data externally.

Rick, if I got any of this info scrambled (not an unprecedented occurrence), please correct.  Did you get a 13" or 15" laptop?

When I bought my 12" retina MacBook last year, I couldn't get an SSD in it larger than 512 GB. I had already been using an external drive for my iTunes library, but I moved my Photos library as well as a Parallels Windows image to the external drive, too. I have used a number of WD My Passport drives in the past, but I am currently using the Seagate Backup Plus Fast 4TB Portable External Hard Drive, which I purchased in February.

My new MBP has a 2 TB drive, so I moved the Photos library and Parallels Windows image back to the internal drive. It's really nice to have them back there because everything runs much quicker. iTunes media runs fine from an external drive, though. Since my iTunes drive is currently approaching 3 TB (lots of video content), I don't anticipate ever being able to move it back. Yes, I realize that most of that content is downloadable on demand, but I like having copies of everything downloaded and ready to go. 

I got the 15" MBP, Julia. 

Well, that one definitely won't work in the new MacBook Pros!

When I bought my 12" retina MacBook last year, I couldn't get an SSD in it larger than 512 GB. I had already been using an external drive for my iTunes library, but I moved my Photos library as well as a Parallels Windows image to the external drive, too. I have used a number of WD My Passport drives in the past, but I am currently using the Seagate Backup Plus Fast 4TB Portable External Hard Drive, which I purchased in February.

My new MBP has a 2 TB drive, so I moved the Photos library and Parallels Windows image back to the internal drive. It's really nice to have them back there because everything runs much quicker. iTunes media runs fine from an external drive, though. Since my iTunes drive is currently approaching 3 TB (lots of video content), I don't anticipate ever being able to move it back. Yes, I realize that most of that content is downloadable on demand, but I like having copies of everything downloaded and ready to go. 

I got the 15" MBP, Julia. 

Nice MBP.  With all that you do, you probably need all that power.  Does the Touch Bar have any particular functionality in Accordance?  Are you finding the Touch Bar generally useful?  It certainly is cool-looking.  Haven't seen one yet, except on the web.

I can get by with less.  And I've learned to love my 13" Air.  I'll probably go Pro next time, however.  We tend to hold onto our laptops for about 5 years.  It's important that we not feel like we can go make a sandwich while we're waiting for the computer to finish a task.  So we max out processor and memory.

• Like 1

Touch bar is awesome! I'd say try it out at an Apple Store if you are near one. I thought it was a gimmick but I'm seeing over and over again the helpfulness and potential when 3rd parties make use of it too. Again I have a 256 GB SSD and that's enough for me. I don't do anything that requires a whole lot of space and I end up moving things externally if I need to.

Keith – I operate that way, too.  And I only run the Mac OS.  If I were running Sierra, Parallels, and Windows, both versions of Accordance, and had a lot of other stuff that actually needed to be on the laptop itself, that would be another story.  Not everyone has the same needs.  

Our son has a masters in computer science.  He says having only 16 GB of RAM is just not enough.  He prefers Mac laptops, but is one of a very small percentage of Mac users who actually need 32 GB.  Perhaps that should to be a special order option, but it creates other problems – like heat and less time operating on just battery.  The existing architecture might not be adequate.

By the way, how long are you able to operate on just battery?  That has been one place where the Air really shines.  

EDIT:  I just went Mithril.  I guess that means I'm spending too much time on the forums.  Better go check the turkey!

Edited by Julia Falling
  • Like 2

The battery has lasted for me about 10-12 hours. So really good! The new MacBooks only go up to 16 GB RAM because of what you mentioned with heat and battery in the current frame they have. I too only run off of the Mac OS

• Like 1

EDIT:  I just went Mithril.  I guess that means I'm spending too much time on the forums.  Better go check the turkey!

I work for Accordance and still haven't reached Mithril. Good job Julia :-)

• Like 2

I personally don't want the sound. 

If you are using Mac, with Keyboard Maestro, it is very easy to add any music or sound when Accordance launches. (see screenshot below).

attachicon.gifScreenshot 2016-11-21 13.15.22.png

Thanks Martin! Accordance is now starting here with a nice sound :-)

To all who replied also: thanks. I was triggered by the nice post of Rick and his wallpaper. I thought I should try again and raise my voice to add some sound :-)

Nice MBP.  With all that you do, you probably need all that power.  Does the Touch Bar have any particular functionality in Accordance?  Are you finding the Touch Bar generally useful?  

No use for Accordance yet. With Accordance, you get the basic control strip.

I don't truly know yet how useful the Touch Bar will be. It's more useful with photo and video apps, but less so than others. Of course, a developer can't make an app truly dependent on it because there will continue to be Macs without a Touch Bar. 

It's important that we not feel like we can go make a sandwich while we're waiting for the computer to finish a task.  

Which is why you use Accordance instead of the competition. Of course, the downside is fewer sandwiches. 

• Like 2

Our son has a masters in computer science.  He says having only 16 GB of RAM is just not enough.  He prefers Mac laptops, but is one of a very small percentage of Mac users who actually need 32 GB.  Perhaps that should to be a special order option, but it creates other problems – like heat and less time operating on just battery.  The existing architecture might not be adequate.

Ultimately, I agree. I would have very much liked to have had 32 GB of RAM. I probably don't need it now, but if I wanted to keep this MBP for five years, I would probably need it by then. Of course, if a person can wait, I have no doubt that in 2017 Apple will release new MBPs in the same form factor with Kaby Lake processors and 32 GB of RAM. I'd recommend waiting until next year if at all possible. 

I don't truly know yet how useful the Touch Bar will be. It's more useful with photo and video apps, but less so than others. Of course, a developer can't make an app truly dependent on it because there will continue to be Macs without a Touch Bar. 

I suspect we we eventually see a Mac Pro Keyboard with Touch Bar for the desktop Macs.

• Like 1

I suspect we we eventually see a Mac Pro Keyboard with Touch Bar for the desktop Macs.

Another nice feature of the Touch Bar that I failed to mention is TouchID. If there's one killer feature of the TouchBar, it's this. TouchID works for login, passwords, purchases, etc. Not everything is fully in place yet, but this is where it's going. 

• Like 2

Another nice feature of the Touch Bar that I failed to mention is TouchID. If there's one killer feature of the TouchBar, it's this. TouchID works for login, passwords, purchases, etc. Not everything is fully in place yet, but this is where it's going. 

Aha, O.K I believe I know where you want to go. You mean it's easier to buy the good stuff for our beloved Accordance. 

Which is why you use Accordance instead of the competition. Of course, the downside is fewer sandwiches. 

Yep – I've watched the Bible software speed tests on YouTube.  Competition basically left in the dust.  

There are other issues, also, with some software.  The Accordance approach, with the Bible itself being primary, is superior, IMO.  We had some experience with the Libronix system with some earlier software – I think it might have been the MacArthur Study Bible?  Anyway, I absolutely hated it – clunky, IMO.  Maybe it has improved.  At this point, we are not switching to something else.  Libronix may be perfect for some.  I think my brain is not wired correctly for such a system.  We don't own any Bible software besides Accordance.  Nor do we wish to.  I like intuitive – Accordance and the Mac.

• Like 2

I use Verbum 7 (Logos catholic variant ) and Accordance every day... I find both acceptable speed wise although Accordance is faster. I do feel over all Accordance is far better designed. Before the days of having an SSD Logos apps were painfully slow and may well still be. Having as large a library as I do I cannot see myself leaving it behind. That said it is Accordance I recommend because it is better designed and for the most part has almost everything a student could want or need in commentaries, lexicons, etc. Indeed Accordance has a far cheaper entry point and for the most part is a far better value. In many respects it honestly feels like Faithlife (Logos) is failing apart. Over the past year there has been massive layoffs, we have been told some planed for features would be abandoned because of lack of staff to implement them. I am not worried they would ever disappear with no support because I do think someone would scoop them up in the event of disaster but enough on that.... I am very thankful that Accordance is here providing a solid program to use on the desktop and mobile platforms (even if i do wish the mobile offered more options like an infopane of it's own, but at least you need no connection to use your mobile app).

-Dan

I use Verbum 7 (Logos catholic variant ) and Accordance every day... I find both acceptable speed wise although Accordance is faster. I do feel over all Accordance is far better designed. Before the days of having an SSD Logos apps were painfully slow and may well still be. Having as large a library as I do I cannot see myself leaving it behind. That said it is Accordance I recommend because it is better designed and for the most part has almost everything a student could want or need in commentaries, lexicons, etc. Indeed Accordance has a far cheaper entry point and for the most part is a far better value. In many respects it honestly feels like Faithlife (Logos) is failing apart. Over the past year there has been massive layoffs, we have been told some planed for features would be abandoned because of lack of staff to implement them. I am not worried they would ever disappear with no support because I do think someone would scoop them up in the event of disaster but enough on that.... I am very thankful that Accordance is here providing a solid program to use on the desktop and mobile platforms (even if i do wish the mobile offered more options like an infopane of it's own, but at least you need no connection to use your mobile app).

-Dan

Funny I just came here from looking at the Logos website. I wanted to try out a demo of Logos 7 but couldn't find one. I had a demo version of Logos a couple of years ago, maybe it was version 4 or 5. But it seems that now I have to buy a package to try it out and if I don't like it I can return it within 90 days (or however many.)

I just want to try it out on my computer. That's all. Nothing else. Just a simple demo to see what its like.

I'm not planning to critique it or condemn it, I just want to have a go and see for myself.

But I can't. So forget it.

Edited by Alistair

There is an ios version you can try. It stayed on my ipad for all of 10 minutes!

I just found the basic entry package too expensive with too many resources i didnt want.

;o)

I came to this via zondervan bible study cds, first windows then mac and it took me about a year of using the mac before i eventually got something and very pleased with the choice i made.

Edited by ukfraser

one can download the 6 engine and set up an account purchasing freely the lexham bible and faithlife study bible.... you get no original language access but gives you a chance to try it... and 6.14 SR2 is identical in behaviour to 7.0.... 

-Dan

• 8 months later...

How do I resize the wallpaper to fit a 10.5 iPad Pro screen?

How do I resize the wallpaper to fit a 10.5 iPad Pro screen?

Here’s the one I have on my iPad Pro. 

12artwork--powered by no XI.png

Sorry, still big. :(

Horizontally, it fits. Vertically, no. Any way to have it fit both ways?

Horizontally, it fits. Vertically, no. Any way to have it fit both ways?

Geometry says no ;-)

I rarely ever use my iPad Pro in portrait orientation, so for my purposes, it doesn’t matter. Or if I am using it in portrait, I’m probably not looking at the Springboard.

• Like 1