Graphical Issues with Mail, Pages (and probably more) in OS 10.12.1

Julia Falling

I'm having all sorts of oddities with Sierra.  It was true before the latest update.  Not fixed.  Pages was also behaving strangely, with text disappearing as I typed, then reappearing.  

Anyone else seeing this kind of stuff.  Very annoying.  Also very unusual for a Mac OS.  I've never seen this kind of thing in the past.

It seems to happen when I wake my machine up.  If I log out and log back in, it seems to fix it.  At least that's how it looks at this point.

Julie, I have had all sorts of oddities after upgrading to Sierra. I can no longer initiate a screen share from Messages, but it works if I open the app and try from there (Screen Share is now a separate app buried deep in the recesses of the System folder). 

The most frustrating thing is click on a tab or a triple click on a word in Accordance. It works about 50% of the time. 

I initially thought it might just be some corruption of my system since I do no have the problems on my MacBook Pro, only my iMac. So, I erased my HD on the iMac, did a clean install of Sierra, then restored from my Time Machine backup. Problems are still there. I am seriously thinking of downgrading to El Capitan. 

• Like 1

Thank you for posting, Tony.  I was seeing so many weird things!  I first suspected my keyboard and trackpad (both wireless).  But I don't think that's it.  Apple needs to give us a fix.  And soon.

By the way, how hard is it to 'downgrade'?

Julia

With “Sierra­” Accordance became erratic: Library could not open, etc.

I decided to downgrade to the El Capitan.

I have WD Elements Desktop for backup and chose a date prior to 09.20.2016. The backup disk worked for about an hour and at the end I had El Capitan installed; Accordance was perfectly installed and working properly as before.

Thank you for the additional confirmation, Morgado.  It's very helpful.  Apple usually responds pretty quickly to things like this.  For now I'm going to tough it out.  I've been able to get it all working by a log-out, log-in.  I have become pretty sloppy about reboots because of the absence of problems with El Cap – ought to do that weekly for good measure no matter which system I'm running.

I really appreciate your input, Tony & Morgado.  My first reaction is usually to suspect that I've done something to mess things up.  Good to know that this mess is not of my making. :) 

Edited by Julia Falling
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am having issues also, but it seems more likely that my nearly 6 year old iMac is the problem. I have a new MacBook Pro ordered and I hope that resolves all sorts of issues. 4 GB of ram just doesn't seem to cut it anymore. Hope you all find relief soon :)

While 6 years old is not ancient, it's probably a good thing that you're getting a newer Mac.  I think my husband's iMac was purchased in Oct 2009.  It seems very slow to me even though it has a good processor and lots of memory – I think it's the old platter drive.  And if he's running EyeTV on it while he's doing other things, the spinning beach ball shows up way too much.

My MBA is not a pro machine, nor is it new, but it was maxed out in processor and memory (as well as SSD).  And my drive is not very full since I moved iTunes data to an external drive.  The graphical glitches I've seen in Mail, & Safari I think are OS related, not machine related.  What I see is incomplete windows – a rectangle will be missing out of one edge where a window from another app was closed (or the app hidden).  If I scroll, it goes away.  I'll take a screen shot next time it happens and post it.  Since it only happens when I've awakened my machine from sleep, and is fixed by logging out and then back in, I feel pretty confident that my MBA is not to blame.

Congrats on the new machine.  Please give us a review when you get it and have taken it for a spin.  We were impressed with what we saw on the video of the Town Hall meeting.  I think a 13" Pro will be my next laptop.  In about 2 years, I hope.

I think a 13" Pro will be my next laptop.  In about 2 years, I hope.

I hope also that in 2 or 3 years http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/solid-state-drives/3d-nand-technology-animation.htmlor from a competitor will be the standard.

Or better they are so fast, that no extra RAM is required anymore. So all free space of the HD can be used as RAM.

Then Accordance would run extremely fast, even if all is in Unicode, which today slows my machine.

Greetings

Fabian

Nice video, Fabian. Better performance, more capacity plus lower cost would be very nice indeed.