CSB or big update for HCSB

Tim Hall

Personally in the end i really don't care what it is called... I myself do not see it likely as a version I am ever to use heavily but am happy that others have it available. To squabble over a name as if it was really overly important seems petty to me. Some of us may not like the acronym because we think it can easily be confused with other things. To use another example, starting to appear about the same time was the NASB and NAB both very different translations from very different groups. But despite the closeness of their names and the very different situations they arose out of I never heard of anyone complaining over the name. I would hope we can realize that things are not always as we want and we have the choice of not owning something we do not like.

-Dan

FYI, we released the 2017 Christian Standard Bible (CSB) yesterday. See the blog post for upgrade info.

• Like 1

FYI, we released the 2017 Christian Standard Bible (CSB) yesterday. See the blog post for upgrade info.

I believe this is the first time a module is in Accordance before the print is out. Go ahead in this way :)

• Like 3

And we offer the Catholic Study Bible, which we have abbreviated as "CSB" for the module name. So context is king, once again.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but none of our Chinese Bibles are the same as the Chinese Standard Bible to which you linked. 

Is this version, which I assume is to be a replacement for the HCSB, going to be tagged?  I know it was just released, and I think it's wonderful that we got it so soon – just wondering about its future.

• Like 1

Is this version, which I assume is to be a replacement for the HCSB, going to be tagged?  

Eventually. That takes a bit longer, though.

• Like 2

Thanks, Rick.  I should have read all of the other CSB thread – the question was answered there.  Now it's been answered twice.  More folks should be able to find it.

Updates to Bibles are typically free updates to existing modules. If we have to change the name, then it would be a new module. When the revisions are complete, I imagine we'll know more from the publisher.

Hi Rick. The CSB has now been released. I would be interested in receiving the free update, but I don't want to lose access to the  HCSB module. Accordance is promoting the free upgrade, yet it is under another name. Yesterday, I asked your customer service if the CSB would be in addition to the HCSB. They didn't know. Please let me know.

Thanks.

I would be interested in receiving the free update, but I don't want to lose access to the  HCSB module. Accordance is promoting the free upgrade, yet it is under another name. Yesterday, I asked your customer service if the CSB would be in addition to the HCSB. They didn't know. Please let me know.

As stated in yesterday's blog post, "Note that the CSB does not replace the HCSB in your personal Accordance Library, and the two can be used in parallel together and with other biblical texts and translations."

Please remember that we have no responsibility nor input in the choice of the name of this new version.

I didn't get the impression that anyone was criticising Accordance, although I can see how some people might get confused about this. Im so grateful just to be able to have CSB now loaded into my parallel bible viewing workspace. 

This is really not the place to criticize Holman for their deciion. 

That said, personally, I have really appreciated being able to hear on the forum how other peoples opinions and views differ or agree with my own. I do hope constructive and helpful discussion is permitted (as opposed to slander or comments that have an unloving attitude).

Personally, while the name changed bothered me, I'm actually sadder about the textual/translation decisions they have been making (i.e. removing Yahweh, especially where differentiating the name makes the text clearer to understand) as they are removing what made this particular translation distinct and interesting. It will be interesting to see the wider reaction to CSB  online as people start to hear about it.

Use of Yahweh

I have a soft spot for the jerusalem bible which uses Yahweh and used the standard edition (which is their study bible) since the early 70s and only stopped using it when i got accordance on my iPad which is easier to carry.

Revised Text here

https://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=NJB

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

As stated in yesterday's blog post, "Note that the CSB does not replace the HCSB in your personal Accordance Library, and the two can be used in parallel together and with other biblical texts and translations."

Best you buy the HCSB or better the HCSB with Strong's, and then you get the CSB for free.