CSB or big update for HCSB

Tim Hall

Afternoon,

I just ran across the news that the HCSB is going through a revision and that it will be renamed the CSB (Christian Standard Bible) in March of 2017.

I am curious if Accordance has been in discussion with Holman about the it and what the plans were going to be? new module, or update to existing module.

This is important to me as HCSB is my main/preaching translation. Thanks!

http://biblebuyingguide.com/hcsb-updated-csb/

Yes, the revision process has already been underway for quite some time.(One of my lecturer's is involved in the translation committee). I suspect the revisions might raise some controversy in some circles, there are going to be some people who don't want to see the existing HCSB module replaced. (They will more than likely be heading more towards "gender inclusivity", i.e. we will probably see some rendering of "sons" as "children" and so on).

• Like 1

Afternoon,

I just ran across the news that the HCSB is going through a revision and that it will be renamed the CSB (Christian Standard Bible) in March of 2017.

I am curious if Accordance has been in discussion with Holman about the it and what the plans were going to be? new module, or update to existing module.

This is important to me as HCSB is my main/preaching translation. Thanks!

http://biblebuyingguide.com/hcsb-updated-csb/

Updates to Bibles are typically free updates to existing modules. If we have to change the name, then it would be a new module. When the revisions are complete, I imagine we'll know more from the publisher.

• Like 2

Thanks for the info Rick.

Yeah there's a mailing list I signed up to but I still haven't heard anything and the site hasn't been updated in months.

I would be very surprised if they were willing to move on gender inclusive language - their rejection of it is in their founding document.

From what I can work out it will be a different option (like the TNIV from the NIV) - they've dropped Holman from the title (just CSB).

Edited by Douglas Fyfe
  • Like 1

they've dropped Holman from the title (just CSB).

Whose standard? The more I use it the more annoyed I get with it personally. It sure ain’t my “standard Bible”.

• Like 4

Whose standard? The more I use it the more annoyed I get with it personally. It sure ain’t my “standard Bible”.

Yes, Calling it "Christian Standard Bible" is certainly very pretentious.

• Like 1

As opposed to the English Standard Version? New American Standard Bible? New International Version?

A bit of consistency please lol!

• Like 2

English standard is fine...it’s about English (though sometimes I wonder), international likewise doesn’t purport to be a “Christian Standard” - I just think it’s really presumptuous.

It's a bit like suggesting the NASB is only for "New Americans", so that would include newborns (who cannot read) and immigrants, and anyone else isn't allowed to read it.

English standard is fine...it’s about English (though sometimes I wonder), international likewise doesn’t purport to be a “Christian Standard” - I just think it’s really presumptuous.

Perhaps it should have been called the Baptist Standard Bible since they are the primary target. All Bible titles as pointed out above can be pretentious in their own right... "Christian Standard" in my mind means to imply somehow other translations are less than Christian... I hated the acronym because I used it always for the "Harper Collin's Study Bible".

-Dan

• Like 2

Perhaps it should have been called the Baptist Standard Bible since they are the primary target. All Bible titles as pointed out above can be pretentious in their own right... "Christian Standard" in my mind means to imply somehow other translations are less than Christian... I hated the acronym because I used it always for the "Harper Collin's Study Bible".

-Dan

Yes - thanks Dan. Better expressed than I.

As opposed to the English Standard Version? New American Standard Bible? New International Version?

A bit of consistency please lol!

I agree with you, however when I read ESV it comes across as simply claiming a standard for English speakers, For NASB, simply for Americans—CSB is proclaiming a worldwide univeral standard of some sort.

Edited by Ιακοβ
  • Like 1

I agree with you, however when I read ESV it comes across as simply claiming a standard for English speakers, For NASB, simply for Americans—CSB is proclaiming a worldwide univeral standard of some sort.

I didn't want to say Americans don't speak English... but since you've already gone there... (and what do they do with all those unused 'u's I wonder?)

I didn't want to say Americans don't speak English... but since you've already gone there... (and what do they do with all those unused 'u's I wonder?)

Since you brought it up. I have been reading the bible for many years, it was only recently that I decided to get a calculator out and translate all those numbers in feet into the metric system, As a result I am now better able visually picture in my mind (and hence better comprehend and remember) the relevant passages.  As far as I am concerned, these are _all_ "American Standard" versions.

Edited by Ιακοβ

OOOOOOHHHHH! OOOOOOHHHHH! OOOOOOHHHHH! Mr. Kotter, does the Klingon Standard Version use the Klingon Universal System for measurements?

• Like 2

That is an excellent question Solly...

*Luke 24:13*

*Luke 24 13*
Klingon Language Version

[Running KLBible : Klingon Language Bible Assistant ]
Looking for  Luke 
24:13    |  yIlegh,  cha'  vo'  chaH were  ghoS  vetlh very  jaj  Daq a village named Emmaus,  nuq  ghaHta'  javmaH stadia { Note: 60 stadia = about 11
24:13    kilometers  joq about 7 miles. }   vo' Jerusalem.
World English Bible

Looking for Luke 
24:13    | Behold, two of them were going that very day to a village named Emmaus, which was sixty stadia { Note: 60 stadia = about 11
24:13    kilometers or about 7 miles. }  from Jerusalem.

:rolleyes:

-Dan
So it uses Metric... like shakespeare and English universal standards...lol
Edited by Dan Francis
  • Like 2

Well, it appears that the Universal Translator Assistant Project has more work to do! A least a tlhIngan  Hol Bible is partially complete, whereas the lexicon for the Ferengi language is in the preliminary phase. Other fictional language Bibles are referenced here in Wikipedia. Yes, this may be a bit silly on the surface, but such projects do aid in the development of computer products and the tasks that AI must tackle if we wish to have such a thing as universal translation. Or, we could wait for our biology friends to find and propagate the elusive Babel fish. ;-)

Maranatha,

Joseph

• Like 1

I would hope that fictional language Bibles might have the consequence of leading some to faith. There are many people without faith that love their fictional items. My hope is God's Word will not go out in vain. And while I may not see it as perfect way to spread the good news it is a way.

-Dan

• Like 1

I would hope that fictional language Bibles might have the consequence of leading some to faith. There are many people without faith that love their fictional items. My hope is God's Word will not go out in vain. And while I may not see it as perfect way to spread the good news it is a way.

-Dan

Dan, indeed they may. The LORD does work in mysterious ways; ways that surprise and delight.

Shalom

Joseph

• 2 months later...

To clear up a little disclarity suggested by previous posts, we too had some fears that the HCSB (since it was published by the sunday school wing of the SBC) would become the "Hardcore Southern Baptist Bible."  But, both when we looked who was on their Translation oversight committee (Consistent Calvinists and Confessional Lutherans) and when we talked to them we realized our fears were false.  They genuinely wanted the CSB to be a bible that all Christians with a high view of the bible could make use of.  We (in the WELS) were very happy to see that many of our suggestions for improvement were taken seriously and even included in the 2017 update (http://bibletranslation.welsrc.net/download-tlc/more-tlc-documents/).

But, yes, I too wonder when the update will be available for Accordance.

Holman has a lot of nerve with its naming. CSB has always meant "Catholic Study Bible."

• Like 1

Holman has a lot of nerve with its naming. CSB has always meant "Catholic Study Bible."

As I saw that the HCSB has to called CSB, I found this not a good choice too.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't like Christian Standard Bible because it infringes on historic Stone-Campbell publication names such as "Christian Standard."

Please remember that we have no responsibility nor input in the choice of the name of this new version. This is really not the place to criticize Holman for their decision. We will offer the new text as soon as we can. You will be able to compare it with the HCSB, other translations, and the original texts, and decide for yourselves whether it is a good version, and one you want to use regularly.

• Like 5