How do syntax searches interact with the analysis dialogue?

Peter Bekins

I would like to look at case marking patterns with נתן 'to give'. I made the following syntax search to look for the pattern [ [ NTN ] [ L+complement ] [ complement ] ]:

post-30164-0-66312700-1471984115_thumb.png

Which gave the following results:

post-30164-0-78619700-1471984143_thumb.png

As you can see, there were 425 words in 315 verses that hit, but I would like to figure out quickly how many times the pattern as a group occurred. Hypothetically I could do this by singling out how many times the verb נתן itself was a hit, but I am not sure how to get that info. The count 1100 for נתן in the analysis pane seems to be the total count for the Hebrew Bible, not within the search results.

Is there an option somewhere that I am forgetting about or is this a quirk of the interaction between a syntax search and the analysis tools?

Thanks,

Pete

Edited by Peter Bekins

You could use a [contents] command to then search for all occurrences of just the word ntn in the hit verses.

So,

[CONTENTS results window of syntax search] ntn

That is a good idea, though hypothetically נתן could occur a second time in one of the verses but not in my preferred construction, in which case I would get an extra count. 

That is probably not a big deal for this particular search, but I am also thinking about method for future searches.