Timeline wish list

Regenegade

I really like the timeline. I like seeing the relationship of different events and people to each other. I understand why you have not gone beyond the archaeologically verified events. But since there are probably many of us that have gone in and added other things to the Timeline it would be really cool if there was a way to share the work that we have done. I would like to see some of the work that others have done and bring that into my timeline. So I would really like to see a way to export and import custom timeline data. This feature would help to fill a real gap in the timeline part of accordance and make it a much richer resource.

For instance if someone has done the work of incorporating the newer view of time on overlapping upper and lower Egyptian dynasties I would love to get that. I have done the timelines leading back to Adam and there are probably many who would like to have that. I thought I would start this topic to see if there were other ideas that would make the timeline even better then it already is.  :)

• Like 5

+1000

Back on March 18, 2016, I wrote the following (I've edited out some of my e-mail) to support with a subject of "For David Lang: re: Timeline." That was because I'd just watched a recording of his webinar on how to use the timeline in Accordance.

I just finished watching the recent webinar you did re: the Timeline. Nice stuff!

I would very much like to see another webinar on how to modify the Timeline, but what I would most like to do is create a completely new "scheme" (or two). (I have looked at some of the customizing options, but without some guidance I'd hate to invest a lot of time and then find out I didn't do it correctly / best.) In addition to the Conservative and Critical schemes you have, I'd like to add, e.g., Floyd Nolen Jones' chronology and even Ussher's. In fact, I think it'd be great if these new "schemes" or whatever could be saved independently and shared via the Exchange. I've recently delved into Bible chronology a bit, and the most obvious thing to a newbie is that everyone (almost) has his own chronology. I am reading Merrill's Kingdom of Priests in Accordance now, and I've been paying attention to many of his chronological statement / reasons / arguments.

Anyway, back to the Accordance Timeline, I would love to learn more. I've not used it at all heretofore. But I have a feeling that actually cloning a current scheme and tweaking it to fit another one and then saving it is not currently possible.

If one could label events / items such that he could create a hybrid timeline that would also be excellent. E.g., put in all of Jones' and or Ussher's dates for the OT, then use someone else's (or one's own) for the NT and / or Paul's life, etc. and then have it all display on one timeline based on tags.

Another thing I'm thinking about is foreign language capability. We're missionaries in _______, so everything we do has to eventually be in [language]. It'd be neat if there was a translational filter whereby one could render events / items in English say, and then present them in another language. It would entail a user glossary database of terms. The folks at New Tribes Mission (actually a related entity, http://fmosoft.com/MapCreator) have done this well with their little app for localizing maps used in evangelism and teaching (they are working on an update now […]). I like the fact that when I enter a translation for a term, it gets propagated to all other maps that have the identical term (but override is possible).

So I guess this is a multiple feature request, but I also express gratitude for all you've done already! If you have a link to even an old advanced webinar on the Timeline, please do let me know.

Kind Regards,
  • Like 1

+1.

And I would also like to see the possibility of adding shapes and labels, as well as indicating and inserting User Notes in the Timeline.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

+1 for Import/Export of user-created Timelines! 

Has there been any work toward this in the past two years since the original post?

• Like 1

I also would love if Accordance adds more dates of christian related topics. Like BW has.

Greetings

Fabian

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Yes! +1 for import / export. I’m creating a timeline for a class right now on the history of apologetics. Ideally I’d love to drop names, start dates and end dates into a spreadsheet and batch import that.

The other result is that it would allow user exchange so that we can do the work of filling out the timeline and sharing on the exchange and Accordance doesn’t even have to bother beefing up the dates and figures.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I also would love if Accordance adds more dates of christian related topics. Like BW has.

Greetings

Fabian

Yesterday we talked about the 13.-15. century. So I open the Accordance Timeline but unfortunately there is "nothing". 

post-32723-0-95035600-1542312608_thumb.png

Then I must open the competitor. 

post-32723-0-32521800-1542312649_thumb.png

An update would be appreciated.

Greetings

Fabian

• Like 1

I would say that even if filling in later centuries didn’t happen, the ability to batch import and share would get us pretty far. Because then users will inevitably create the content and it will get shared around the Accordance exchange. The result is that without Accordance having to create the content itself but only by providing import / export options, Accordance users can have the option of a really full timeline (user created) stretching into late periods etc.

• Like 3

+1000

Back on March 18, 2016, I wrote the following (I've edited out some of my e-mail) to support with a subject of "For David Lang: re: Timeline." That was because I'd just watched a recording of his webinar on how to use the timeline in Accordance.

I'd echo everything Eric wrote. Also please try very very hard to make the timeline a whole lot less ugly.

The timeline and the atlas I feel are both stuck in the 80s.

Much room for improvement here IMHO.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Greetings

Fabian

Yesterday we talked about the 13.-15. century. So I open the Accordance Timeline but unfortunately there is "nothing". 

attachicon.gifBildschirmfoto 2018-11-14 um 11.44.59.png

Then I must open the competitor. 

attachicon.gifBildschirmfoto 2018-11-14 um 11.44.01.png

An update would be appreciated.

Greetings

Fabian

I was really hoping Accordance (David Lang) add more dates as BW has.

I recommend that anyone who wants/needs a better timeline should buy a dedicated timeline program, such as Aeon Timeline. See http://www.aeontimeline.com

It will cost you £42, but I have seen it cheaper in bundles, esp. before/during NaNoWriMo.

It has all the versatility you need, but of course outside Accordance.

Runs on Mac, Windows, and also iOS.

Can sync. with Scrivener and will input/output CSV.

Edited by Alistair
  • Like 1

Alistair,

Thanks for the heads up about Aeon Timeline. So far I have had the most success with Preceden, but there are a few things I wish worked differently. I tried BEEDOCS Timeline 3D for several years, but had to give up on that. I will take a closer look at Aeon and see if it will work for me. If anyone has used both Preceden and Aeon, I am interested in hearing how they compare.

Here are the Preceden timelines I have created:

https://www.preceden.com/timelines/440500-new-testament-historical-background

https://www.preceden.com/timelines/443276-divided-monarchy

https://www.preceden.com/timelines/443389-archaeology-and-biblical-history

https://www.preceden.com/timelines/473516-samuel-and-united-monarchy

https://www.preceden.com/timelines/444104-ancient-egypt

https://www.preceden.com/timelines/508930-modern-lebanon (very much still under construction)

A.D.

• Like 3

I tried BEEDOCS Timeline 3D for several years, but had to give up on that. 

I also used to use BeeDocs Timeline and Timeline 3D, but gave up on them a long time ago.

On the Mac, nothing beats Aeon. IMHO.

I'd not heard of Preceden before, thanks for telling us.

Also, this is a great resource: "32 Best Timeline Software for Every Kind of Project (2020)"

see https://www.preceden.com/timeline-makers

Edited by Alistair
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Alistair,

Just a few updates.

One thing I really like about Preceden is it allows you to represent "fuzzy" dates with a gradient. Aeon does not do this yet. I wrote Aeon and they said this feature will be added in the next version.

Preceden allows you to import large datasets in CSV, but previously it did not handle Unicode characters well, which is a headache for me. I wrote them about it, and they said it should be fixed now. Alas, my subscription expired, so I have not been able to test it.

Aeon certainly has the better price tag. But it sure is easy to share the Preceden timelines with students, colleagues, etc.

A.D.

• Like 2

We're working on a massive update to the Timeline. Don't have an ETA yet, but it's in the works. 

• Like 9

Alistair,

Just a few updates.

One thing I really like about Preceden is it allows you to represent "fuzzy" dates with a gradient. Aeon does not do this yet. I wrote Aeon and they said this feature will be added in the next version.

Preceden allows you to import large datasets in CSV, but previously it did not handle Unicode characters well, which is a headache for me. I wrote them about it, and they said it should be fixed now. Alas, my subscription expired, so I have not been able to test it.

Aeon certainly has the better price tag. But it sure is easy to share the Preceden timelines with students, colleagues, etc.

A.D.

Thanks for the update. I'm not really in a place where I need to do timelines right now, but the fuzzy dates thing would be a good update.

Perhaps you might be willing to share some screenshots of your timelines?

I'm hoping the Timeline update announced by Mark will allow all the customisability that many users have asked for.

With Mark on the case, we can rest assured he will bring in under budget, ahead of time, and with all extras as standard.

No doubt using it will make you taller, more popular, and help you lose weight.

Thanks Mark!

• Like 3

We're working on a massive update to the Timeline. Don't have an ETA yet, but it's in the works. 

Mark, I'm thrilled to hear this.  I have posted a few times over the years saying that Timeline feels and looks very dated (one of the very few criticisms I have of Accordance) and although there has been the occasional update, it's GUI has barely changed since it was launched nearly twenty years ago.  

• Like 4

To be fair, Paul, the visuals underwent a major overhaul a few years ago.  We did what we could, but one of the reasons it feels more cluttered is simply that it displays far more information than many other software based timelines.  If all we presented were dates on an empty background, it could look much cleaner. But since we have a variety of event types and shapes, over political backgrounds (that also have transitionary periods), over regional backgrounds, there's just an incredibly high density of information.

• Like 4

Thanks Joel, I think that's fair feedback, though I would still love to see a more flexible interface.

Edited by Paul Meiklejohn
  • Like 2

Look forward to seeing what the new timeline in Accordance will feature.

Alistar, one other thing I have really started to appreciate about Preceden is the ability to drill down for more information. When you hover over an event or row name, you can have more information pop up. This is a nice way to include sources used, alternative dates, and other details. I also like the list view which appears on the same page immediately below the timeline view.

A.D.

• 1 month later...

...I would like to see some of the work that others have done and bring that into my timeline. So I would really like to see a way to export and import custom timeline data. This feature would help to fill a real gap in the timeline part of accordance and make it a much richer resource.

For instance if someone has done the work of incorporating the newer view of time on overlapping upper and lower Egyptian dynasties I would love to get that. I have done the timelines leading back to Adam and there are probably many who would like to have that. I thought I would start this topic to see if there were other ideas that would make the timeline even better then it already is.  :)

The preview of the updated timeline in the webinar today looked awesome! Incredible leap forward! Good work!

Re: import/export of user defined timeline data, David Lang said in webinar that it would depend on how many squeaky wheels there are that would find it useful.  Adding my "squeak" here. :)

• Like 3

The preview of the updated timeline in the webinar today looked awesome! Incredible leap forward! Good work!

Re: import/export of user defined timeline data, David Lang said in webinar that it would depend on how many squeaky wheels there are that would find it useful.  Adding my "squeak" here. :)

Or copy the user Timeline date and give it to others to import.