2016 ESV Permanent Text Edition (FREE update!)

R. Mansfield

Do they have some divine insight that makes them believe no new manuscripts will be discovered that are significant enough that the majority of scholarship will agree on amendments? 

Edited by Ιακοβ

I think its just that it takes a lot of time and effort to carve them into stone and despite modern technology, there isnt a sort of 'whitepaper correction fluid' for marble.

;o)

Stone tablets are Not the easiest things to carry or store though!

;o(

• Like 1

Rick, not all of the changes listed from Crossway match up with the Accordance text. For example 1 Kings 8:48.

Randy, are you sure you've updated? Mine look the same in 1 Kings 8:48 unless I'm am just overlooking something. See attached screenshot, which is from ESVS 5.1, although I just saw that 5.2 has been released. 

Screen Shot 2016-08-15 at 11.45.18 AM.png

Randy, are you sure you've updated? Mine look the same in 1 Kings 8:48 unless I'm am just overlooking something. See attached screenshot, which is from ESVS 5.1, although I just saw that 5.2 has been released. 

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-08-15 at 11.45.18 AM.png

The Permanent Text version is the left column. So in this instance, Randy is right ... our text still shows the "old" version.

I cannot, however, speak to the source file from which our updates came.

My fault. Fixed the script that adds the key number tagging, but missed the text itself. It will be fixed in 5.3.

The Permanent Text version is the left column. So in this instance, Randy is right ... our text still shows the "old" version.

Ah, I wasn't paying attention. When I compare texts, I always put the older one on the left, so I guess I expected the rest of the world to be like me, too :-)

Thanks Julie, Mark, and Rick for looking at this. It is interesting that the Crossway list of changes does not include spelling changes, addition of quotation marks, and versification changes.

• Like 1

Do they have some divine insight that makes them believe no new manuscripts will be discovered that are significant enough that the majority of scholarship will agree on amendments? 

Leaving the text as is for now is not the same as saying the text is perfect and set for all time. It just means that the committee is done with the planned revisions. If something significant happened like discovery of important manuscripts that justified further revisions, I'd bet multiple translation committees would at least consider it. 

Edit: I hadn't yet read Crossway's statement. It looks like they plan to leave the text forever after all. There's a reason we're not all using the KJV. :)

Edited by JonathanHuber
  • Like 2

KJV permanent text edition + x years = NKJV

ESV permanent text edition + y years = NESV

;o)

• Like 3

Hey Rick,

Can you repost that PDF with the text differences? It looks like it has been taken down.

Gavin

You can find the official statement and list of the changes on Crossway's esv.org website. Very interesting...

I upgraded to ESV permanent text, but lost the ESVS - the new permanent edition does not contain Strong's Numbering system?

I upgraded to ESV permanent text, but lost the ESVS - the new permanent edition does not contain Strong's Numbering system?

No, the ESVS is updated to the latest ESVS which is the permanent text edition. If you have lost the ESVS (check by searching your library) then just reinstall via easy install - it will install the permanent text edition. Yes it has Strong's numbers.

Edited by Ken Simpson

• 2 weeks later...

My fault. Fixed the script that adds the key number tagging, but missed the text itself. It will be fixed in 5.3.

Mark is as good as his word. 5.3 is here, and it is fixed. Thanks Mark.

Edited by Randy Cue
  • Like 1

Hey Rick,

Can you repost that PDF with the text differences? It looks like it has been taken down.

Gavin

Ironically the ESV website has a list of the changes.