The effect of "Place" on Hebrew searches

CapnKirk

I have a search for two Hebrew words, one following directly after the other with no intervening words. I've appended a screenshot of the search construct. This search correctly finds all 26 occurrences. However, when I add "Place" elements to the search specifying that ‏‏אַף should come first and ‏כִּֽי should come second, I only get 7 of the 26. I looked over the help file on Hebrew constructs and it appears to me that it should work with the "Place" elements. But it doesn't.

So my question is, what am I not understanding about the "Place" element and how it changes the search?

Kirk

post-142-1193938369_thumb.jpg

Kirk,

The Place item enables you to specify the word position of an element within the given search field. When you specify that the first word in your construct has a place of 1, you are saying that it must be the first word in the verse, sentence, clause, etc. (depending on what you have set in your Search within every pop-up menu in the More Options section of the search window.)

If you are just wanting to specify that aph must come before ky, you don't have to do anything other than what you have done: that is, put aph in the first column and ky in the second. Constructs are order specific by default.

Hope this helps.

When you specify that the first word in your construct has a place of 1, you are saying that it must be the first word in the verse, sentence, clause, etc.

Ah! So "Place" specifies the absolute word order of the text string for a verse, etc.

If you are just wanting to specify that aph must come before ky, you don't have to do anything other than what you have done: that is, put aph in the first column and ky in the second. Constructs are order specific by default.

So the order of the columns specify the relative word order of the search string without reference to verse word order. "This order anywhere in a verse."

Hope this helps.

Very much so! Thanks.

Could you tell me the page # or the name of the section in the help file where this is stated? I missed it somehow and I'm usually a careful reader...

Blessings,

Kirk

In both the User's Guide and Grammatical Supplement, and in the Help, the Simple Construct window is described first as the basis for the principles of the window. Then the additional features of Greek and Hebrew Constructs are covered separately. In Help these are both in Advanced Features: Graphical Searches.

Archived