Analysis and Concordance Results After Greek Word Search

srhoades

I'm interested in finding the present and aorist uses of imperatives. To test I ran the following command πιστεύω @[VERB present imperative] <OR> πιστεύω@[VERB aorist imperative] but I'm not sure I understand the results or perhaps there is a better way to run the command. The analysis implies there are a total of 13 occurrences, but then says there are 13 occurrences in the present and 2 in the aorist. Also, when looking up the concordance info for the searches it appears to list every occurrence of  πιστεύω instead of just the occurrence of the actual imperative. Am I missing something?

post-33924-0-33674800-1467951296_thumb.jpg

post-33924-0-05639400-1467951296_thumb.jpg

Edited by srhoades

Hi, this all looks correct, except I am not sure about the statement you make "The analysis implies there are a total of 13 occurrences, but then says there are 13 occurrences in the present and 2 in the aorist."

When I run the search exactly as you suggest I get this

post-29509-0-88470500-1467953492_thumb.png

numeral 1 shows that there are 15 “hits” - (that is your 13+2)

An analysis shows that there are 13 present imperatives (numeral 2) and 2 aorist imperatives (numeral 3).

The 13 on the left just above the search bar is the number of verses that the hits are found in, since two of the verses (Jn 14:1 and 14:11) have 2 hits each.

The concordance does not take any reference from the tagging information and will just search for the lexeme.

Why did you want the concordance? A verse list is much more accurately obtained either by Edit menu => Copy as => Reference

or by adding them to a new reference list Selection menu => Add Selection To => New Reference List Tab, and then use CMD-T (CTRL-T windows) and select “References Only” in the dropdown menu roughly in the centre of the sheet that appears.

Hope that helps :-)

Edited by Ken Simpson

I see now, thank you. Is it possible for it to list the verses separately, i.e. those in the present and those in the aorist instead of one aggregate group?

Just make two tabs with the separate verses in each tab. Any analysis will then be on the individual search.

Is that what you’re after? Or have I missed something?