Analysis in synoptics

Jan Klein

Dear Accordance users,

Could someone please help me with this problem.
For my Thesis I'm working on Luke 19,12-27. Now I want to look up how many words correspond literally with Matt 25,14-30, how many words are the same but in a different form, and how many words are totally different.
I suspect this must be able with 'range' and 'analysis', but how do I do that?
Your help will be greatly appreciated!

Jan Klein

Hi Jan,

I am not sure what you mean by literally but I've taken you to mean the exact inflected form. You need to look at the HITS and the HITS=i linking commands in the documentation (http://accordancefiles2.com/helpfiles/OSX11/Default.htm#topics/06_braa/hits.htm?Highlight=HIT) and perhaps look at the podcast on intertextuality http://www.accordancebible.com/Lighting-The-Lamp-Podcasts podcast 90 and perhaps 87 on linking commands).

I have begun an example which shows first and last queries in an example - correspond exactly and are totally different. The "same but in a different form" is a little trickier involving removing the HITS=i and retaining the HITS forms. Strictly this should be a simple change to the lower middle pane in my WS below to use this query : [RANGE Matt 25:14-30] *@-[HITS=i Luke] @ [HITS Luke]

I have assumed that you are doing this in Greek but you didn't specify so I may have got that bit wrong. I have also done this in just one direction taking Luke as the driving text. I just did this guessing which way round you wanted it based on your question. It could of course be reversed to do it the other way. Finally please double check that you are seeing even remotely what you expect as I could have misunderstood and created the wrong thing - I hope I haven't but the results need to be examined manually of course.

post-32023-0-46166800-1466088974_thumb.jpg

I see the queries are not easily visible in the image. They are :

LEFT most pane tab=Luke :  * [RANGE Luke 19:12-27]

Top middle pane : tab=Matt :  [HITS=i Luke] <AND> [RANGE Matt 25:14-30]

Bottom middle pane : tab=NA28 Greek NT : [RANGE Matt 25:14-30] *@-[HITS Luke]

Thx

D

Edited by דָנִיאֶל
  • Like 1

Daniel, 

Your help is really appreciated!!

You did understand me remarkable good. Indeed I do the search in Greek, and I'am looking for the exact inflected form, the inflected en totally different. 

I can reproduce your way of working and try to understand it... It's a kind of 'not so easy' if you look at it the first time  :mellow:

I now already have a good quantity of material and try to controle and interpret it.

Thanks a lot!!

• Like 1

Dear Daniel,

Thanks again for your help.

I can play now with some of the opportunities you have given me, but there are still some questions for me.

If I take Luke 19 as my source and look up how many exact matches there is with Matthew I count 150 hits.

If I take Matthew 25 as my source and look up how many exact matches there is with Luke I count 134 hits. What makes this difference? 

Is it that if a word is 4 times in Luke and once in Matthew that the result is 1 when I take Luke as my source and 4 if I take Matthew as my source?

Help will really be appreciated! 

Dear Daniel,

Is it that if a word is 4 times in Luke and once in Matthew that the result is 1 when I take Luke as my source and 4 if I take Matthew as my source?

Yes this is the reason.

Thx

D