Another Greek Construct question/problem/bug?

jasonhoffmanou

Hi all,

My first post, but hoping you can help.

I believe I found a bug in the Greek Construct search.

I’m trying to find the following:

-A second-person plural imperative followed by a nominative plural participle.

The results should include Colossians 2:6-7. I’ve attached a screenshot of my construct. In the left column is my search results, on the right is Colossians 2:6-8 for reference.

—————
As a further explanation, I’m confused because of the following:
When I search for:
Verb: second plural imperative
-Results include: Col. 2:6 - περιπατεῖτε

When I search for:
Verb: participle plural nominative
-Results include: Col. 2:7 - ἐρριζωμένοι 

But, when I search for these within 3 words in the construct it does not include Col 2:6-7.

Am I doing something wrong in this search?

ConstructSearchBug.tiff

Looks like you have your "Scope" set to "Verse," which is the default. Click the "+" to the right of your Search Entry box, then select "Scope" and "Chapter."

All will be well!

Edited by Timothy Jenney

There's definitely something wrong with the Search here. I just tried it with the WITHIN command, which I originally omitted. It works at WITHIN 4 Words, but not at 3. It should work at 2. I'll report it as a bug.

Thanks!

Worked for me.

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-31%20at%202.13.3

What is interesting is the search works if the Scope is set to either Sentence or Paragraph, but not for Book or Chapter.

Hmm, it's working for me when set to either Book or Chapter. Are you using the current version of Accordance (11.2)? Just trying to track down this issue.

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-31%20at%202.32.2

Yep, just updated to 11.2.0 today, restarted, and just tried the Construct again. 

A few added details:

-you have 24 hits, I get 26 hits.

-I'm using the NA 28 without sigla

-I don't have the syntax module installed

Just throwing further spanners in, if I have WITHIN 3, scope sentence and set the range pulldown to Colossians I don't get the hit. If I just change the range to Pauline Epistles, NT or All text the hit appears. I cannot get Book or Chapter scope to return this hit either. If I switch to UBS 4 with Sigla then the hit appears with Book, but not chapter. GNT-EPT will return the hit with range Colossians and either book or chapter.

So it appears this may be at least in part module specific.

Thx

D

This has definitely revealed some bugs that we will look into. I see no difference in the punctuation between the different texts.

When I use the same search as a search string:

[VERB second plural imperative] [VERB participle plural nominative]

it seems to pick up this pair whatever the Range, as long as the Scope is Sentence, Chapter, or Book, i.e. it works fine.

Many thanks for the report. It seems this was a longstanding bug that affected construct searches involving tags rather than words and the WITHIN. It is fixed for the next rev which should be out in a few days.

Glad to help, and thanks for such quick and helpful responses everyone! This is why I so excitedly and heartily recommend Accordance to everyone looking into Bible software, esp for language study.

• Like 1