New Tyndale Commentary volumes wanted

Daniel  Francis

On 5/25/2021 at 11:32 AM, Jordan S said:

No, we have not begun working on these volumes, because we do not have an updated contract.

Yes, its on the radar, but there is no ETA on when these volumes would be released.

We would release all of the new volumes at the same time.

Jordan --- Can you please update the status to this request since your May 25, 2021 response.  Is Accordance anywhere nearer to bringing its Tyndale Commentary offering current?

• Like 2

Unfortunately, nothing exciting to report.

• Sad 1

Thanks for responding, Jordan. But I wonder why Logos has the new Tyndale volumes? So I assume some sort of digital version is available. It is sad and disturbing that Accordance cannot compete with Logos on these very basic commentaries. Am I missing something?

Bill

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

It's been another year since we have received an update directly from Accordance on this thread, so I'm revising my post. New and revised volumes in the Tyndale OT and NT Commentary series by IVP have continued to proliferate. There are now 30 new or revised Tyndale Commentary volumes that have been published but are lacking in Accordance. These new volumes cover more than two-thirds of the OT (27 books) and almost two-thirds of the NT (16 books)—over 60% of the biblical canon (perhaps more when the respective size of each biblical book is accounted for). That Accordance has STILL failed to update the offerings for this module in well over a decade is even more astounding when compared to both Logos and Olive Tree, who both have every new/revised volume available. I sincerely hope that Accordance is diligently working to acquire these new volumes. As is evident from the several different forum threads on this topic, these new contributions to such an accesible yet reputable series are desired by many.

Old Testament
1.    Genesis by Andrew E. Steinmann (2019)
2.    Leviticus by Jay Sklar (2014)
3.    Deuteronomy by Edward J. Woods (2011)
4.    Judges & Ruth by Mary J. Evans (2017)
5.    1 & 2 Samuel by V. Philips Long (2020)
6.    Psalms by Tremper Longman III (2014)
7.    Proverbs by Lindsay Wilson (2018)
8.    Ecclesiastes by Knut Martin Heim (2019)
9.    Song of Songs by Iain M. Duguid (2015)
10.    Isaiah by Paul D. Wegner (2021)
11.    Jeremiah & Lamentations by Hetty Lalleman (2013)
12.    Daniel by Paul R. House (2018)
13.    Hosea by Robin Routledge (2021)
14.    Joel & Amos by Tchavdar Hadjiev (2020)
15.    Obadiah, Jonah, Micah by Daniel C. Timmer (2021)
16.    Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah by S. D. Snyman (2020)
17.    Haggai, Zechariah, Malachi by Andrew Hill (2012)

New Testament
1.    Mark by Eckhard J. Schnabel (2017)
2.    Luke by Nicholas Perrin (2022)
3.    John (rev. ed.) by Colin G. Kruse (2017)
4.    Romans by David E. Garland (2021)
5.    1 Corinthians by Thomas R. Schreiner (2018)
6.    2 Corinthians (rev. ed.) by Colin G. Kruse (2015)
7.    Ephesians by Darrell L. Bock (2019)
8.    Philippians by Jeannine K. Brown (2022)
9.    Colossians & Philemon by Alan J. Thompson (2022)
10.    Pastoral Epistles by Osvaldo Padilla (2022)
11.    Hebrews by David G. Peterson (2020)
12.    James (rev. ed.) by Douglas J. Moo (2015)
13.    Revelation by Ian Paul (2018)

• Like 1

I mentioned this in another thread. We are actively working with the publisher to license the new volumes. No ETA on a release date of them yet, but we are communicating with the publisher as we speak. I believed the publisher changed a while back.

On 3/7/2023 at 2:54 PM, Nathan Parker said:

I mentioned this in another thread. We are actively working with the publisher to license the new volumes. No ETA on a release date of them yet, but we are communicating with the publisher as we speak. I believed the publisher changed a while back.

Thanks for the response, Nathan. I must not have seen the reply on another thread. I'm very glad to hear that steps are actively being taken here. The publisher is and always has been InterVarsity Press, although they have moved the series to their academic imprint, IVP Academic. 

• 2 months later...

I am at the point where I will just get print editions. Accordance would be preferred at this point, but I’ve not heard a reasonable explanation to why these sets are not updated to date. It is just another excuse. I can’t imagine why Accordance would not want to make money by offering more content, but the Lord knows. Something doesn’t seem right though. It’s been years as noted above.

We are actively in the process of securing the licenses for the remaining volumes of the Tyndale Commentary series.

There was a publisher change on the backend that required a licensing change which made it a little more complicated than simply grabbing the new editions. We've been actively working with the publisher to secure the remaining licenses to this, and we should have results shortly.

After that, we'll hand it off to our module development team. They are a little backlogged at the moment, but we'll put this one as "high priority" in the queue once it hits the module development queue.

You'll know when we're close to releasing the updates when we run another sale on the current Tyndale Commentaries. We're going to offer the current collection at a really great sale right before we release the new content.

• Like 1