New Tyndale Commentary volumes wanted

Daniel  Francis

• 2 months later...

The new one on revelation by ian paul looks interesting.

• 4 months later...

We are working on getting these additional volumes. Publishers rarely (if ever) notify us when new volumes are added to series, so it's up to us to check periodically (which we do). We also have this set in several of our Collections, which adds an extra layer of work on our part to work out new agreements for royalties, upgrades, pricing, etc.

When we release these we will place all the most recent volumes in the main module, then older ones in a second module. For this series, we didn't feel it was worth it at the time to create a second module just for Esther. 

Thanks for the feedback and requests.

so the older esther by baldwin, since it doesn't come up in the info pane, the only way to access it would be to go into the tyndale module itself and find the volume?  there's no other way right?  would have never known there were two until i read the forums.

Accordance -

Can the older Esther volume not be separated out like other commentary sets as a ‘classic’ volume? This would solve the access problem for 2 Esther volumes.

Also, are you any nearer with the publisher in getting the new volumes? It’s been 18 months since Rick’s last update above...

Thanks Paul

Apologies for the delay, but we do not have any updates to report as of now. It is on the radar so to speak.

At the time we begin working on the newer volumes we can also look at the Esther issue mentioned above.

Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

When will Accordance update its Tyndale Commentaries offerings? The last new volume added appears to be Reid on Esther (2008)? It doesn't appear that Accordance has updated this collection in over a decade. There is clearly interest in this forum. I don't understand the lack of interest from Accordance.

The Accordance collection contains 49 volumes. Olive Tree offers 60, including 13 of the earlier volumes for which there are now replacements. Actually, 12 of the Olive Tree Old Testament volumes are replacement volumes, since they do not include the poorly regarded earlier volumes that remain in the Accordance collection: Leviticus by Harrison, Deuteronomy by Thompson, and Jeremiah & Lamentations by Harrison. And they have 6 New Testament replacement volumes that Accordance lacks. That means 30% of their collection supersedes the older volumes in the Accordance collection; to put in another way, over one-third of the Accordance collection has been superseded. (Actually, I’d encourage Accordance to keep the earlier volumes in its collection; a number are still quite good. It’s just that we’re missing the new ones, some of which are also quite good.)

I don't know everything that goes into preparing digital texts for products like Accordance, but if the competition has these, some of the work must have already been done.

Olive Tree recently ran a special with their collection for $149. I was sorely tempted, but although I have used Olive Tree in the past, I much prefer Accordance and had stopped adding texts from Olive Tree. But if it shows up again, ...

Come on, Accordance. Please.

Me too for this please

• 3 months later...

I think that if Accordance let us know the major projects they are working, users can make wiser decisions on their purchases. For example, I would no buy a book somewhere else if I know that Accordance is working on it. I can wait for it. I think that it would be a great idea for Accordance to pack a page where they tell the users what they are working on at the moment. 

• Like 2

I think that if Accordance let us know the major projects they are working, users can make wiser decisions on their purchases. For example, I would no buy a book somewhere else if I know that Accordance is working on it. I can wait for it. I think that it would be a great idea for Accordance to pack a page where they tell the users what they are working on at the moment. 

1+

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

It's been over a year since the last update from Accordance on this thread. There are now 19 new Tyndale Commentary volumes lacking in Accordance, with two other volumes on the way in late 2020 and early 2021. I really hope that Accordance is at work on acquiring these! With over a decade since the last update to this module, these new volumes are desired by many. 

Old Testament

·      Genesis by Andrew E. Steinmann (2019)

·      Leviticus by Jay Sklar (2014)

·      Deuteronomy by Edward J. Woods (2011)

·      Judges & Ruth by Mary J. Evans (2017)

·      1 & 2 Samuel by V. Philips Long (2020)

·      Psalm by Tremper Longman III (2014)

·      Proverbs by Lindsay Wilson (2018)

·      Ecclesiastes by Knut Martin Heim (2019)

·      The Song of Songs by Iain M. Duguid (2015)

·      Jeremiah & Lamentations by Hetty Lalleman (2013)

·      Daniel by Paul R. House (2018)

·      Hosea by Robin Routledge (forthcoming 2021)

·      Nahum, Habakkuk, & Zephaniah by S. D. Snyman (forthcoming 2020)

·      Haggai, Zechariah, & Malachi by Andrew Hill (2012)

New Testament

·      Mark by Eckhard J. Schnabel (2017)

·      John (Revised ed.) by Colin G. Kruse (2017)

·      1 Corinthians by Thomas R. Schreiner (2018)

·      2 Corinthians (Revised ed.) by Colin G. Kruse (2015)

·      Ephesians by Darrell L. Bock (2019)

·      James (Revised ed.) by Douglas J. Moo (2015)

·      Revelation by Ian Paul (2018)

• 9 months later...

It has now been over two years since we have received an update directly from Accordance on this thread. New and revised volumes in the Tyndale OT and NT Commentary series by IVP have continued to proliferate. As of this posting, there are now 26 new or revised Tyndale Commentary volumes that have been published but are lacking in Accordance. These new volumes cover more than two-thirds of the OT (27 books) and one-third of the NT (9 books)—over half of the biblical canon (perhaps more when the respective size of each biblical book is accounted for). That Accordance has failed to update the offerings for this module in well over a decade is even more astounding when compared to both Logos and Olive Tree: the former offers 9 new volumes (partway through 2017) and the latter offers 15 new volumes (through 2018). I really hope that Accordance is diligently working to acquire these new volumes. As is evident from the several different forum threads on this topic, these new contributions to such an accesible yet reputable series are desired by many.

Old Testament
1.    Genesis by Andrew E. Steinmann (2019)
2.    Leviticus by Jay Sklar (2014)
3.    Deuteronomy by Edward J. Woods (2011)
4.    Judges & Ruth by Mary J. Evans (2017)
5.    1 & 2 Samuel by V. Philips Long (2020)
6.    Psalms by Tremper Longman III (2014)
7.    Proverbs by Lindsay Wilson (2018)
8.    Ecclesiastes by Knut Martin Heim (2019)
9.    The Song of Songs by Iain M. Duguid (2015)
10.    Isaiah by Paul D. Wegner (July 2021)
11.    Jeremiah & Lamentations by Hetty Lalleman (2013)
12.    Daniel by Paul R. House (2018)
13.    Hosea by Robin Routledge (2021)
14.    Joel & Amos by Tchavdar Hadjiev (2020)
15.    Obadiah, Jonah, and Micah by Daniel C. Timmer (2021)
16.    Nahum, Habakkuk, & Zephaniah by S. D. Snyman (2020)
17.    Haggai, Zechariah, & Malachi by Andrew Hill (2012)

New Testament
1.    Mark by Eckhard J. Schnabel (2017)
2.    John (Revised ed.) by Colin G. Kruse (2017)
3.    Romans by David E. Garland (Sept 2021)
4.    1 Corinthians by Thomas R. Schreiner (2018)
5.    2 Corinthians (Revised ed.) by Colin G. Kruse (2015)
6.    Ephesians by Darrell L. Bock (2019)
7.    Hebrews by David G. Peterson (2020)
8.    James (Revised ed.) by Douglas J. Moo (2015)
9.    Revelation by Ian Paul (2018)

• Like 1

Yes. Could someone at Accordance tell us something--anything about these new volumes? Is Accordance planning to sometime add these new volumes. I have been patiently waiting. If Accordance is never going to add them, it would be very helpful to know.

• Like 1

We are aware and we are planning to add them.

There is a significant increase in royalties associated with these new volumes, and as you may know, the Tyndale Commentary was a part of many of our collections. We could not simply update the volumes. It meant reworking all of our collections, and it appears this task has been completed.

I'm eager to begin prepping these files as soon as the new terms are finalized. Personally, I am looking forward to using Hadjiev's commentary on Amos.

Thank you for your patience.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Jordan S said:

We are aware and we are planning to add them.

There is a significant increase in royalties associated with these new volumes, and as you may know, the Tyndale Commentary was a part of many of our collections. We could not simply update the volumes. It meant reworking all of our collections, and it appears this task has been completed.

I'm eager to begin prepping these files as soon as the new terms are finalized. Personally, I am looking forward to using Hadjiev's commentary on Amos.

Thank you for your patience.

Thank you SO much for the update, Jordan! I am very excited to hear this.

Thank you so much, Jordan, for the update.

On 5/20/2021 at 6:51 AM, Jordan S said:

It meant reworking all of our collections, and it appears this task has been completed.

I'm eager to begin prepping these files as soon as the new terms are finalized.

I understand you probably aren't able to give a lot of details but would you be able to elaborate some on these two statements? I don't really know what these statements mean since I (and others) have a lack of awareness of how digital media contracts work and the effort it takes to port works to Accordance (though it appears from what you say you have already started officially working on this). And again, you may not be able to provide details, but do these statements mean this is something we should see becoming available sometime soon, say in a few months, or is this likely more like a year out? If it is something like a year out (please no...), I need to emotionally prepare myself for that... ha :)

(I'm personally hoping the two Gospel ones are in Accordance by this coming Fall semester as I hope to be doing a class research project where these two would be very handy to have)

I really hope whenever this comes out that all the latest volumes are available AND that regular updates happen like we see with NICOT, Pillar, etc... where we can periodically purchase updated volumes.

BTW, I actually noticed today that a lot of my Tyndale volumes were quite dated. I came on the forums here to see if there had been a post about updating these and if not, post myself. I was excited to see that it had been posted and that this was a recent active thread (just last week)!

So glad this is on ya'lls radar.

Edited by TheBard

On 8/19/2019 at 5:46 AM, ekim37 said:

And, +1 to this...

No, we have not begun working on these volumes, because we do not have an updated contract.

Yes, its on the radar, but there is no ETA on when these volumes would be released.

We would release all of the new volumes at the same time.

Edited by Jordan S

Regarding letting everyone know books we are working on in advance...

This is something that is part of ongoing conversations. The transition to a new website platform lets us do this much easier. We've discussed ideas such as allowing users to make purchases but not charging their credit cards until the product is released. Again, the new website facilitates this much easier than the old one. We're still working out bugs on the transitioned site, but this is something we may very well add in the future.